Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 04m 23s
Overall Rank = 522/2579
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 38/238
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am and ate two toasted peanut butter & honey sandwiches and drank some Gatorade. Took a quick shower and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

No warm-up at all. Probably should have stretched a little or took a short run, but never got around to it even though I had plenty of time since I was in the last wave.
Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had plenty of time to get ready for the swim, but when the horn went off I was still on the dock needing to put my ear plugs in, my goggles and swim cap on. My wife was on the bridge looking at me through binoculars wondering what the heck I was doing. I jumped in and my goggles filled with water. I then realized I had forgotten to set my watch to the timer and tried setting it, but failed. By the time I started swimming my heart rate was up, I had a hard time breathing and my goggles kept fogging and filling with water. Finally got everything straightened out and got into the groove of swimming. I chose to remove my wetsuit at the top of the boat ramp in fear of having to sit in the mud for the wetsuit strippers.
What would you do differently?:

Stop socializing and pay attention to the announcer so I can be ready to swim when the horn goes off.
Transition 1
  • 05m 2s
Comments:

I have no idea what took me so long in transition, but I did remember to do everything I wanted to do and was ready to bike.

Try and cut down on the T1 time.
Bike
  • 2h 43m
  • 56 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike and definitely passed more people than what passed me since I started in the last wave. Felt like I could have been penalized for drafting and/or blocking with all the people out there on the course. Felt strong on the climbs, but never felt like I was pushing too hard. Wasn't sure exactly how much to drink on the bike since the weather was much cooler than expected. Had to relieve my bladder twice on the bike, but kept on riding. Chose to use 1 bottle of Infinit (5 scoops foe 2.5 hours) which left my Aerodrink with plain water and had an extra bottle of water for rinsing after the bladder releases. Was surprised to see so many bottles that were launched out on the course, some even had the bottle cages still attached. WTF! Even saw a lost mini pump out there and plenty of other nutritional items.
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Did better than T1, but still longer than I needed.

Practice transitions
Run
  • 1h 44m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like my lower quads were going to cramp up after about a 1/4 mile, but I shortened my stride and kept running. Took a custom mix of Gatorade with a scoop of Infinit in it along with me on the run and only grabbed water at the aid stations. Ran through all the aid stations and did not stop any during the run. My lower quads felt like they might start cramping at about mile 8, but they never did. Picked up the pace for the last few miles and had a good kick on the final stretch and into the finish chute.

I don't think I could have run much better than I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt good at the end of the race, but really could have used a shower. Grabbed a few slices of pizza, a Gatorade, a water and banana. Grabbed my clothes bag and headed out to get my bike. Jumped in the river at the boat ram to rinse off before changing into dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of serious training.

Event comments:

Loved the race, but didn't really care for the logistics of the transition site versus the finish line. Was a little surprised there were no finisher hats or shirts given away at the finish line and that they actually ran out of medals for the late finishers.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 2143 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/238
Overall: 1065/2579
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Full
Course: Point to point & downstream in the Savannah River
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:43:00 | 56 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/238
Overall: 828/2579
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop with some rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:44:09 | 13.1 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/238
Overall: 352/2579
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops that were flat and mostly shaded, but all the run up one side of the street and down the other got old real fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes