Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 03m 49s
Overall Rank = 2399/3171
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 219/304
Pre-race routine:

Less than 4 weeks after IM Louisville I should not even have done this. I signed up for this race after doing it last year. Augusta was my first 70.3 and I enjoyed it so much I wanted to do it again. Then shortly afterwards I signed up for IMKY. If it were not for folks from NC coming I would have probably stayed home. It was good to see some friends from the Old North State.

No real routine yet with consistency. Learning as I go. Watched Auburn vs SC and had to turn it off...it waa a good game and I wanted something to help me relax. I tossed and turned and probably only slept 3 hours!
Event warmup:

Bus to transition, setup, bus to swim start and hurry up and wait...I remember those days. Fourtanetly they moved the 4 minute AG spacing down to 3 minute spacing and was able to get off 26 minutes earlier than scheduled. Rained most of the time I was waiting.

OK, game plan. I knew I was not recovered from Louisville. I had run 5x @ 3-4 miles with cramps, rode 1x at 25 miles, and swam 0. I said to myself, go, have fun, absorb the atmosphere, but at any time you feel like you need to sit down and quit, do not hurt yourself. Yeah, right.
Swim
  • 35m 7s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I planned to start easy and use the current to help me. The wetsuit was not comfortable for me since I had worn it only once the day before and not in 1 year..since B2B last year. I swam straight. Got bumped and swam on but nothing real bad. Lost my timex cheapo watch I like to keep overall time with but not a problem. Had 1 zig zagger run over me 3-4 times and finally pushed him off me and he got the message..a relly fast swimmer and if he can sight he'd be out in 25 minutes! I finally said you're not my type, I like women, and he moved on! Out in 35 and last year it was 29 so a big difference but again, I was taking it mile by mile.
What would you do differently?:

Well, not a friggin IM 4 weeks earlier.
Transition 1
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

Ran from water to T1, used wetsuit strippers, took my time since it was pouring, made sure I had everything then asked myself, can you do this, are you ok do go 56 and remember if you need to, stop.

Be better prepared and work on nutrition balance.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year my bike avg was 19 mph and today down to 17.5, but again, not expecting any faster.

I started out fine and rode at 18 + on the flats. At mile 5 I started getting slight calf cramps and said ok, you may need to shut it down and go back. I slowed down and said ok, ride slow and lets go one more mile. A little while later I was at mile 10 and I said go a few more miles, next mile 15, mile 20, mile 28 and I said hell, you gotta go back now anyway and that will be 56. So at least I knew I'd get the bike in.

I actually rode the last 10 miles at a 22 mph avg. For some reason I felt strong and seized on it. Rolled in and said, ok, you can quit if you want to or maybe.....

Nothing really, I stayed in my game plan on the bike. It was gathering experience.
Transition 2
  • 07m 54s
Comments:

Still raining hard and had everything in a large zipp bag. I contemplated a couple minutes should I even run and I thought heck, I've come this far , just go 1 mile and see how you feel. un huh, .....

Plan for rain when you expect it.
Run
  • 3h 02m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

1 mile at a time and quit if you have to. Got about 1 mile in and said, ok, 1 more mile. At mile 1.5 I walked some, started running again. Then fatigue of a lack of proper reovery hit me hard at mile 2, the legs started screaming and ached like mile 20 at Louisville. My overall body ached. Then the sun came out and baked me. Left my sunglasses at T2. Say hi to Doug when I hit mile 3.5, he's on 5ish. I said to myself just go to mile 4 then walk some. Mile 5 I run with John some, he is near finishing. Then mile 6 and I'm close to T2. I said, ok, just call it a day, you've done yourself well to even come and you can rest now. Then I start thinking about what it means to quit when you have fight left in you. Lots of thoughts start going through my head and I'm seeing the road to the left that goes to T2 and the right turn that starts the 2nd loop. Getting closer, and closer. What to do. I think well hell, it's almost 1/2 mile just to run to T2 to sit down, and think if you just go right it will be mile 8+ if you add that in. What to do, closer, closer, turning right, ok, self, what the hell are you doing man. Ok, 1/2 mile down the road, you can turn around and call it. Turn down Green Street, not now, we are gonna finish what we started. Walking more. I started thinking about Rocky, cheesy but it's a motivator. When he and Apolo can barely stand and one punches the other. My legs were on fire. Mile 9 and for the first time ever in any race I got double vision for baout 1 minute and vertigo. I kept the focus and sighted on a fixed car 100 yards ahead. I walked to it then fixed on another car but was ok at that point...running again. Mile 10. Mile 12 hell yeah! Mile 12.75, yes sir drill Seargent, I will finish today. Turn right and down the finish, done.

I am not a quiter, I never was and I never will be. I am only disappointed I didn't bike and run harder and leave everything I had on that course. I foreplayed with it. Knowing all I had this Fall was run training I wished now I would have run till I fell flat on my face, instead I stayed in my plan, easy and careful. I don't like careful.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a massage from a wonderful woman who took care of my burning legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing an IM 4 weeks earlier and not having been able to maintain the endurance post Im race.

Event comments:

PROS: Volunteers are wonderful. ARMY and Police had great coverage to protect bikers and runners. Wave starts to get the field off safely.

CONS: 1. OK WTC, I've noticed you are cutting back more and more. Cheaper will cost you. Very disappointed in you not having enough Medals. WTF? 2. I just did a 70.3 and without any notice I now have to walk another 1 mile to get my bike and bring it back? What about those that are injured. I was alone except a friend(s) who had also just done IM and yes, I could barely move. So I shuffeled to get my bike.
3. Check in? 2 folks? Poor planning when you have several other rooms avaiabel but again WTC you shave costs? I mean how much did you really save.

Im sensing some WTC issues with planning and I simply recommend WTC utilize some professionals to examine their process. Make it a great experience, grow the sport, and your dollar will grow...or become the WalMart of Triathlons and you become a commodity. IM is a brand that could explode if you were to do it right. Right now I see the focus on revenues vs customer loyalty.

Last updated: 2009-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:07 | 2143 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 208/304
Overall: 2277/3171
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Straight down rive with a slight right bend
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:54 | 56 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/304
Overall: 0/3171
Wind: Some
Course: Out through conutryside in SC then back across river into GA. Flat, some slight hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:02:29 | 13.1 miles | 13m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 219/304
Overall: 2399/3171
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 Laps through town snaking 4 streets around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-27 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3120751

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Harold Liles you are an Ironman!!! and then some!! Having spent the race weekend with you I must say that the looks on people's faces when they learned you were racing 4 weeks after Louisville was priceless! Knowing what you have gone through since IMKY that was one heck of a HTFU! Way to go!!
2010-09-28 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Im right there with you on the whole racing Louisville thing. Augusta was a fun day, but still very tough for the tired legs.

Way to go out there, you pushed through the pain even though you wanted to quit. Now thats what I call a good race!
2010-09-29 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
If it means anything you looked great when we saw you on the run.   Still can't believe you did it.  PLEASE don't do anything for at least a month.  Take care of yourself so you can live to fight another fight!!
2010-09-29 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Oh bullsh+t, this had nothing to do Louisville....  IT WAS THE WINGS!!!! 

You're a stud!  never quit...AWESOME!!!! Great to meet you Harold lets do it again soon, well not to soon.  
2010-09-30 1:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Solid work, sir. Nice job finishing WITHOUT getting hurt...You probably extended your IM recovery time but glad you finished...

Great seeing you...perhaps again soon?

2010-09-30 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3125216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
LOL, I love your swimming report. Way to tough it out after IM LOU!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed