Premier Event Management
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 01m 55s
Overall Rank = 472/2600
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 86/337
Pre-race routine:

Actually got a pretty good night sleep, which is odd. Woke up at 5:00 and ate 2 snickers marathon bars, drank seme water and coffee. Got ready and headed downstairs to leave hotel around 6:00.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup. Walked about a mile to the swim start from transition after setting up at a fast pace.I was getting a little concerned about getting to the swim start in time to get chip and check in swim bag and get wetsuit on. Had about 10-15 minutes to spare.
Swim
  • 28m 9s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad swim for me. I knew that I am not a straight swimmer, but didn;t realize just how bad I was until this race. Other races were there are buoys every hundred yards or so give me a chance to adjust my line often so I never get too off course. There weren't any buoys (at least where I was), so I would pick my head up to site and just try to find where all of the other swimmers were and try to swim in that direction. I wish I had an overhead view of my swim, because I know I zig-zagged all over the course. At one point, I was only about 5' from a dock that ran parallel to shore right up against the shoreline which put me about 30-40 yards off course. The terrible navigation not only had me swimming extra distance, but also kept me out of the center of the river where the current was the strongest, so I didn't get to take full advantage.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to practice even swim stroke. I am pulling to the right way too much. I must correct this for future races.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Used wetsuit strippers which was awesome! T1 time includes a couple hundred yard run from swim exit to transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 45m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike for me. I wanted to average 20 MPH, but wasn't sure if that was reasonable since I didn't know just how hilly this course was compared to what I train on. Turns out, not too hilly at all. There were some long grinders, but nothing steep where you "had" to get out of the saddle if you didn't want to. I did get out of the saddle a couple of times to pass some riders on the hills or to relieve some pressure from my bum, etc.

The wet roads made for some dangerous conditions on some winding downhills. I hate to break on a downhill, but I started to feel a little uneasy and had to tap on them a couple of times so I wouldn't crash from the wet roads. It rained for the whole bike, pretty much including about a 5-10 minute stretch where it downright poured. I feel like I could add another 1/2 MPH or more if it wasn't for the rainy conditions.

A number of 90 degree and one 180 degree turn had us down to below 10 mph so as to not slide. But hey, everyone had the same conditions, so all is fair.

I think I left a little out there on the bike, but I wanted to make sure I left plenty in the tank for the run.

I was extremely careful not to violate any of the drafting rules, but I feel like I was the one of the only ones!! I got passed by groups of 5-15 riders that were all lined up in a peleton. Not cool! Only saw one of those groups get penalized.

Maybe go a little harder on the bike and trust my training to know I had enough left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Everything good here, except I racked my bike the wrong way and I then had to flip it around and rerack. I left a bag over my socks and shoes to keep them dry., which was a great idea! (Thanks to Joy!) Socks on, shoes on, visor on, watch on as I ran out. Long run out of transition.

Not rack my bike the wrong way. This only cost me about 10 seconds though, so not that big of deal.
Run
  • 1h 43m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt fantastic off the bike. Ran the first 4 miles at a 7:40 pace which I thought was going too fast, but it felt so good, I just went with it. After mile 4, my pace came back to around 8:00/miles which is what I had planned on running. I felt really good until about mile 10 or so, when my hip and left big toe started hurting a little. About mile 11, I started (for the first time the whole day) to get tired. I ate 2 gels (one at mile 5 and one at mile 11) to try to get through the remaining last 2 miles or so at a respectful pace. My last mile was probably close to a 8:30-8:45 mile, but I had stopped looking at my watch at that point so I'm not 100% sure.

The course was great for spectators since a middle portion of each loop was up and down the same street. So, I got to see my son, my parents, Joy's parents, Joy's Aunt and Uncle, and my sister-in-law's boyfriend. multiple times during the run portion of the race. It was great seeing them out there and gave me something to look forward to as I was coming up on each of the mile markers where they were located.

My goal was to run a 1:45, and I ran a 1:43:46, so I was pretty happy about that.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, drank some water and ate some bagels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. This is the end of my second year of triathlon with only have that many years training in running, biking or swimming as well. I feel like faster days are ahead of me for sure.

Event comments:

Awesome course! Packet pick up I think could have been a little faster. The expo was lack luster with no "good deals". Plenty of volunteers and crowd support was great!

Last updated: 2010-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:09 | 2143 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 119/337
Overall: 809/2600
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless QR
Course: Down Savannah river with current point to point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:07 | 56 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/337
Overall: 0/2600
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills through neighboring cities of Augusta and into South Carolina.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:46 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 86/337
Overall: 472/2600
Course: 2 loops through the streets of downtown Augusta.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-28 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3121483

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Congrats on a strong race! Well done!
2010-09-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3121519

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Coldfire - 2010-09-28 11:17 AM Congrats on a strong race! Well done!

Thanks so much! I highly recommend this race as far as the course goes.
2010-09-28 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
great job out there man.  stellar times for your second year!
2010-09-28 2:03 PM

User image

First, love your tag name but as for the race --- fantastic job on your race - especially considering this is only your second year.  Glad you were safe on the bike and still got it done to your liking --- I too had a few "tag-along drafters" but it is what it is and good job not letting it affect your race.  As for the pushing the bike a bit more --- let it go next time and see - I did that this year and was able to benefit - as you say, "trust the training"

Good luck the rest of the way!!!

Jason

2010-09-28 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Thanks FFF and Senuta!

I think I will push the bike next time and see how it goes. Of course, next time will be next year and hopefully in that much better shape!

2010-09-30 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Great race! I bet next time you can shave that 2 minutes off your time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed