Augusta, Georgia
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 4h 32m 6s
Overall Rank = 98/2600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/380
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little later than I typically do b/c of how much time we had to spare last year. All of us hit the road and arrived at transition around 5:45 but had to walk quite a ways b/c they blocked it off this year. I set everything up and fixed my computer before heading back to the car to drive down to the swim start. We picked up our timing chips and came back to relax for a little bit before heading down for the swim.
Event warmup:

Slight stretching but nothing significant.
Swim
  • 22m 45s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like I had a very strong swim - I was actually 6 seconds faster than last year where I thought I was slower so that made me feel even better. Really tried to make every stroke count - concentrating on my reach and pull. Didn't want to get lazy.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - hoping I can just continue to improve in the water with another year in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

A few seconds slower than last year but I attribute that to the weather and me taking a little extra time wiping my feet and uncovering some of my gear. Used the wetsuit strippers and they were great - only reason IO stopped was b/c I watched how quickly 2 girls got a wetsuit off a guy in front of me and told them that was quick so I'm in.

Guess I would consider having my shoes already clipped in because the beginning of the bike course was flat and I could have gotten into them without much effort and time issue....something to consider for next year's races.
Bike
  • 2h 23m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a phenomenal bike and I really couldn't be happier. I knocked off over 8 minutes from last years bike and averaged more than a mile an hour faster. I gradually improved as the bike went on and I only had a few stretches where I questioned whether or not I may be exerting too much energy on the bike b/c I was feeling it in my legs and hip/butt area. The thing is that after those brief moments I found myself feeling really strong and was able to push an even harder and faster pace and felt good. There were a number of guys who were with me from around mile 10 to around maybe mile 45 - but I dropped all of them at the last turn and decided to try and put some distance between me and the others. With about 2 miles to go one of the guys came back up on me and said we had a pro women coming back at us...we both finished strong and wished each other well. Only part I was disappointed in was some of the guys weren't real friendly despite my effort to make a little small talk considering we were in close proximity throughout the ride. Some of them did sit back and Joseph and me do the majority of the work but it is was it is. It was a little surprising again how much of an advantage I was able to gain on the inclines - I would power through them and seperated from the pack on the majority of them - that was when I made my last move after climbing to the last aid station and turning right onto the highway. Just really pleased with where my bike is now after a good summer of logging more miles than any previous year. I pushed this hard and stayed committed to it and couldn't be more pleased!

Nothing - just continue to build on this for next season.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Same exact time as last year but I am actually quite pleased considering this year I had to wipe my feet a bit with the weather/ground conditions and the fact that I wore a fuel belt this year.

Just continue to improve -
Run
  • 1h 40m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Really couldn't be much happier than I am with this run. To be able to push the bike the way I did and still respond with a much faster run than last year is a great feeling. I definitely felt as though I showed some mental toughness throughout the run because I never really walked any of the run other than the aid station at mile 11 for a second. I broke the run into segments in my head and basically accomplished my goal for each segment. The only part that I am diappointed with is I was running with the thought of breaking 4:30:00 but I must have stopped my watch sometime getting the wetsuit off before starting it again during transition because my watch had me at 4:29:00 not 4:32:07 - not sure I could have pushed any harder the last 3-5 miles and who knows - if I would have known I wasn't going to have a chance to break 4:30:00 I may have mentally given in a bit --- it must have actually a blessing in disguise!!!!!

Nothing really --- just want to continue to put some miles on my legs b/c they are what started to give a bit - nothing to do with heart as far as I can tell.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on the curb for awhile and waited to cheer Mike on as he passed by on his way to the finish. After he ran by I headed in for a massage and let me just say it was absolutely incredible. Allysha was great and my legs and shoulders felt really good when she was done. After the massage I grabbed my pizza and grapes and went to sit down for a bit before meeting up with Watson and heading down to the river for a post-race dip. After that we drove back to the finish to meet up with Geoff and Kendro. We enjoyed some more pizza and some beers then headed to transition to get our stuff and then back to the awards ceremony to see Geoff get his plaque for 5th place in the 45-49 division(despite losing a significant amount of time to a mechanical issue). We also stayed to see him get his Clearwater slot and to see if I'd actually have a shot at a roll-down slot.....well, my name was called with a number of the guys in front of me having already qualified at different events throughout the season. When he called Jason Senuta I was a little surprised and initially fell victim to the moment and started for the stairs to the stage but as I hit the steps I turned around and headed back out front and said I had to decline. It was a very difficult decision but as much as I wanted to opportunity to race Clearwater and make the trip with Geoff I know I made the right decision based on family and finances. It helped having Mike there to talk it over with and I appreciated his support. Who knows - maybe I'll get another chance at some point in the future and if I do I am going to take it - at least if it works better with family and finances next time. Either way it was really cool to be given the opportunity and at least I have that - Clearwater or not my goal was to improve from last year and I did that so I'm good with that!!!

Event comments:

Had a fantastic weekend with Watson, Geoff and Kendro. Great performance and was able to share the experience with all of them which always makes racing more fun! Wasn't intending on returning to Augusta but Geoff did mention going next year so who knows maybe we'll make it 3 for 3 down there!!!

Last updated: 2009-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:45 | 2143 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/380
Overall: 67/2600
Performance: Good
Suit: ORCA Apex
Course: Savannah River
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:23:14 | 56 miles | 23.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/380
Overall: 61/2600
Wind: Some
Course: WET -- WET -- WET!!!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:40:37 | 13.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/380
Overall: 259/2600
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-28 10:47 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3121610

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
nice race man!  i suspect you'll be accepting a clearwater slot soon enough.  congrats.
2010-09-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3121610

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Wow, great race! Very impressive!
2010-09-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3121657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Nice race! They would have had to roll down a LOONNGGG way for me to get a Clearwater slot. I can only dream of times like yours!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed