Hightstown Parks and Recreation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 40s
Overall Rank = 88/231
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 13/25
Pre-race routine:

Race is only 10 minutes from my house so I could sleep a bit later. Got up, walked the dog, made a PB wheat bagel and hit the road. Stopped at the 7-11 for a power bar pre-race and got a spot in the parking lot. Got an end spot on the rack as hardly anyone from my wave was there yet. Looked around to see if I could find anyone I knew. Eventually saw Jay and Mike from work and saw Johnags balloon but never crossed paths with him.
Event warmup:

Had decided to wear the wetsuit no matter what so did 2 out and back swim warmups especially since I haven't been swimming at all since July. Just waited after that for my wave which was the last one.
Swim
  • 10m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time is approximate as no splits available yet but I moved up to the line with everyone else for once and all that did was make the 1st 100 yards or so a lot of stop and start swimming as a lot of bumping into slower folks in front of me (I know hard to believe!). From then I just found some water and swam pretty smooth for me but never tried anything but comfortable due to no swim training at all lately.
What would you do differently?:

Train! Seriously though for sprints it's not even worth it for me to waste what little time I have on really training unless I were to get lessons as part of it as I don't really gain much time savings on my own.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Again all times estimate but T1 went ok. Had to take the suit off so that slowed me down and at last second I decided to wear socks on the bike so really just an average transition. Ran well with the bike once on the move.

I obviously always have a room to improve at transitions and really should just move my ass quicker and save some time.
Bike
  • 41m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I've had about the same amount of bike training as swim lately so didn't expect much here. Wanted to try and get under 40 minutes and might have but had a few slow downs almost stops for traffic and/or when I was unsure of what a few cars were doing. I was able to push good on the flats and downhills and pass people but just in no shape even on any little uphills. Also being in the last wave and not a great swimmer the bike course was very lonely and not conducive to pushing yourself as not many people around.

Again train! Going to devote my offseason to strengthening my legs and my bike leg as there is a ton of time to be gained here.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Believe I had a good T2. First race with the Yankz and that seemed to save me a lot of time here. Only problem was I got a bit disoriented when I first entered transition and didn't realize where my rack was right away. Wasted a few seconds staring in panic.

Pay attention to the bike in place in relation to my rack.
Run
  • 26m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was just a run. Felt like a training run as didn't seem to have the desire or get up and go to push it much. Still passed quite a few folks though it helps to have some of the slower age groups start in the wave(s) in front of me. I do like the course as it takes you all through the town and back around so keeps it interesting.

Like always just push through any discomfort, it is a race!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and found Jay who finished 5 minutes ahead of me (secret goal next year is to beat him in a race). Then just grabbed some grub and hit the road as was under orders to get home fairly early.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In reality I haven't trained specifically for a sprint Tri or anything quick all year. Trained for my 1/2 Mary early in the season and mostly have just mixed in an occasional swim and bike with longer, slower training runs. It really does show in my times that there's a big advantage to training for a race and not just training to be in shape. Hope to pick out a few goal races next year and train to them to see what I can do time wise.

Event comments:

Darek has done a fantastic job with this race in just 3 short years and lo and behold it didn't rain this year. Will continue to do this every year.

Last updated: 2010-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:17 | 440 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/231
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Shaped like a "P".
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:19 | 12 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:20 | 03.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-28 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon

2010-09-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3122241

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon
It's always nice to participate in a local tri every year.  Sounds like a nice end to the season and you finished quite well.  You have had a very eventful summer so take pride in getting out there and getting it done!
2010-09-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3122241

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon
Bob, you're too funny! Seriously though, x2 on what Kathy ^^^ said. You should be proud you did so much and so well this year with all things considered!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed