General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sylvia Fall Festival Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Sylvia Fall Festival Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montesano, Washington
United States
Friends of Schafer and Lake Sylvia
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 12s
Overall Rank = 1/60
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I drove 1hr40mins south to Montesano from Seattle and ate breakfast. This was my 1st off-road triathlon (.25m swim, 12.5m mtn bike, 2.75m run), so I was figuring out how to setup my transition.
Event warmup:

Some short sprints biking, running, and swimming to make sure everything was feeling good.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 440 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Start on the beach and exit on the beach. I am usually a middle of the pack swimmer in large events.
What would you do differently?:

Could have pushed it harder, but it was different today.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There were no bike racks, bikes went on the ground. It was huge transition area for the number of people participating. I had some trouble getting out of my wetsuit, but overall it went pretty smoothly. There were several teams competing that passed me in the transition zone while I was changing. http://www.friendsoflakesylvia.org/FriendsofLakeSylvia/Photos.html#...

smile more
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Super volunteers, awesome course maintenance, and perfect course markings. I felt confident that I was on course the entire route, which I was a bit concerned with in the off-road setting particularly at a small event. I had never led a race before and that is pretty fun actually.

I rode a fully suspended Specialized Epic. I think a lighter, front-suspension bike would be the 'weapon of choice' for this intermediate course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went better as I was able to switch out shoes. This was my first test of the speedcross shoes and the pull laces. It is good. I should have converted my running shoes for the regular triathlons for the other races.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to keep my pace up even though there was not any pressure.

enjoy the surroundings
Post race
Warm down:

Soaking up the sunshine lakeside looking at the fall colors. It is an incredibly intimate setting at Lake Sylvia. Talked with a local newspaper. Listened to the banjo band that was on-stage. Visited the vendors and had a hot breakfast of eggs and pancakes. There were no lines, no waiting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At least in it's 1st year, this was not a very competitive race.

Event comments:

I think most participants had the course to themselves. I had not been in a community race before. It has a completely different atmosphere, plus to be in the woods and sunshine. It is a lot of fun for competitive people, those interested in trying an off-road triathlon, but especially intermediate/beginners and families. The people, the volunteers and the intimate lake-side scene make this a great place to spend the day (weather permitting).

I agree with one of the local riders, Ki Shin, with all the growth in triathlon... the off-road market is set to grow substantially. If the word gets out about Lake Sylvia many more people will arrive. I learned about this race from active.com and also found the details at beginnertriathlete.com

Last updated: 2010-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 440 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/60
Performance: Good
There were no time chips and I was alone at the race, so I don't know. I didn't keep time that closely.
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: Simple out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/60
Wind:
Course: I am guessing, but 65% on logging roads and 35% single track. Total elevation gained ~1500ft. Most of the climbs were on wide sections of the road. A very fast course designed by a local pro with jedi-style single track. Awesome trail maintenance and conditions were nearly perfect... if you don't mind getting muddy. Crews had worked hard to remove water from standing puddles.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02.5 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/60
Course: Total elevation climbed ~600ft, mostly on single track. There is one push to climb the hill that could be grueling if time was of real importance. Again, super volunteers and course marking. I never felt like I was going to be off course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes