General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season Motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3123663

Regular
Babylon
Subject: RE: Off-season Motivation
What I tell me guys.  Go on to Facebook, twitter, etc, etc and post your planned workout for the day.  Then you will feel like you need to complete it or you will get ribbed.

Make it fun in the off-season.  This is the time to work on the limiters and make those huge gains. 

2010-10-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3124405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
rventuri - 2010-09-29 2:16 PM The number of posts on this subject amaze me. Do most people just train to race and not to remain healthy, fit and active year round. I guess I am just more motivated by staying at a healthy weight, keeping my cardiovascular system in shape and not being lazy then by training for something that is just a hobby. If I was a professional triathlete or cyclist, I could see taking an extended amount of time off since training to race is basically their job and they are training 25+ hours per week. But for the 99.9% of those who peruse this site, I would think allowing your weight and fitness to slip significantly during the triathlon off-season and then pretty much starting from scratch in the spring isn't very healthy at all ... akin to yoyo dieting which has proven to be very detrimental to one's health. Just sayin.

Before I started doing tris 5 years ago I tried to get motivated just for the health of it. However, for me I need to have an event/race to train for. Without having something on the calendar, I just start to slip back into laziness. I really enjoy the health benefits of tris and endurance events- healthy weight, feel better emotionally, etc. But 90% of my motivation is the race.

Edited by Jazon71 2010-10-01 9:44 AM
2010-10-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3127883

User image

Veteran

Jazon71 - 2010-10-01 10:17 AM 
Before I started doing tris 5 years ago I tried to get motivated just for the health of it. However, for me I need to have and event/race to train for. Without having something on the calendar, I just start to slip back into laziness. I really enjoy the health benefits of tris and endurance events- healthy weight, feel better emotionally, etc. But 90% of my motivation is the race.

What he said.  In the off season races are faaar away though...  I think I need to find some winter racing, XC skiing and such, that will hopefully get me out of the funk...

-Andy

2010-10-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3127893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
I don't necessarily find the motivation lacking in the off season.  I still exercise for the health benefits.  The focus shifts a bit though.  The races definitely motivate me to kick in that little extra in training.  During race season I stick to the routine almost religiously unless life gets in the way.  One way or another I'm going to get that S/B/R in as needed during the week.  After the races are over other things start to take priority a bit more. 

During the off season I'll likely do fewer long runs (more like 6 miles tops), I'll get back to the pool soon but am taking a bit of a break there.  The biking takes a hit until I decide I can endure the trainer during the colder season.  I do up the weight training regimen then for a change of pace as that takes a hit during race season.  Weight training was my primary form of exercise prior to triathlons anyway.

Primarily though once races are over for awhile I need the time to re-focus on the things that take more of a hit during the summer.  Doing schools things and other activities with the kids, finally getting around to those house and yard projects that I've put off because I spent all my weekend training, etc.

The change in routine and/or refocusing for awhile I think also recharges my batteries so I'm much more ready to go when it's time to start training for real again.  I think I would burn out if I trained year round at the levels I do during the late spring and summer when there's a race to prepare for.
2010-10-01 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Perhaps this thread would suffice or someone has already created a thread like what I'm about to describe, but this thread certainly piqued my interest.

I thought a thread dedicated to the serious self-coached athletes looking to get faster in the off-season, not just doing "maintenance", would be helpful.  A thread to gather, share their plans, goals, questions, etc.  So not really a Challenge so much as a thread to stay motivated and have some support.

I'm not an Endurance Nation member, but I like their off-season approach - Jorge's cycling plan would fit the bill for the bike leg - of faster not longer in the off-season and not messing around with P90X, weights, etc.  Maybe post your weekly plan Sun/Mon and then every four weeks or so have a little 5k or FTP test to see how every one is progressing.  I think those doing Jorge's plan would also fit this type of thread well.
If you could get a couple coaches and a couple fast AG/KQ types in there to help it along, maybe it could be something.

I hesitate to start such a thread in the Challenge forum, mostly because I'm not impressed with the banter in those threads.  And I'd be content to see this thread carry-on as I've described as above, because I don't think it would be a hi-jack.

Anyone interested?  Should this be a new thread?
2010-10-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3128065

User image

Veteran

VeganMan - 2010-10-01 11:07 AM  
Anyone interested?  Should this be a new thread?

I don't know/care about it being a new thread or not, but I am /so/ in...  :-)

-Andy

2010-10-01 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

I am in the same boat with many and just need to voice my personal concerns, fears, or a simple justification for being lazy.  This rant is self serving, just needed a place to voice it, so there is really no need to read it.

Just finished my 2nd season, 1 1/2 marry, 2 oly's, 1 sprint, 1 HIM.  I have been consistently training for 8-14 hrs per week since January and have taken the past 2 weeks (last race was Sept 12th) and pretty much done nothing!  Went hiking a few times, a run here or there, lifted those heavy things at the gym only to be painfully sore for the next 3 days.  

I am realizing that without a plan in front of me, I'm pathetic!   I need that carrot on a stick aka a race to work towards.  Just registered today for my 1st race of the 2011 season, but still that is so far away at this point. 

I have 2 main motivators, 1. Keep lean, I lost 25lbs in 2010 and I don't want to put any on.  2. Maintain fitness.  I've scaled back my daily caloric intake to compensate for the lack of activity.  Started reading Racing Weight (an awesome read BTW) Even with these 2 primary goals, it is dark until 6:45am and dark again well before I get home from work.  My trainer is set up but I rather stick a fork in my thigh at this point than to spin pointless miles away.  I got my Mountain bike tuned up, but weekends are the only opportunity to ride. 

Everywhere I look, there is an excuse not to work out!  Part of me tells me that it's ok, I busted my this year and deserve a little down time.  I must say I am enjoying spending the 6am hour hanging with my family in bed instead of hitting the pool or the bike, and catching up with colleagues at lunch instead of putting in a 6 mile run, yet with every passing day and every missed opportunity to work out the guilt persists.

So in a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is I'm lost, confused and misguided right now.  The Off season Sucks!  I need to move to San Diego or Phoenix! 

2010-10-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3128122

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
mchubri` - 2010-10-01 10:24 AM

So in a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is I'm lost, confused and misguided right now.  The Off season Sucks!  I need to move to San Diego or Phoenix! 

I think a little down time is a good thing!  You're not going to lose your fitness not doing anything for two weeks.  If you can just stay a little active for 4-8 weeks you'll probably still be in good shape.  Once you've had some unstructured workout/ downtime to reset your head, you could focus on doing workouts that are shorter in duration and higher in intensity.  That way you're building fast, but still able to have time for the important things in life.  Then when summer hits and the sun is out, you can start going far.
2010-10-01 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
2010-10-01 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3128226

User image

Veteran

Leegoocrap - 2010-10-01 11:53 AM

Well played sir.

2010-10-01 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Since the gentleman, mrhighside, is allowing a full scale hi-jack of his thread, I'll post my very short term goals.
First, I have an 8-man, 84 mile relay run next weekend.  So, the next two weeks are focused on just getting used to what will become "basic" fall/winter training week and not worrying about volume at all, which will be as follows:

Mon: Lunch Swim
Tues: AM bike*; Lunch run
Wed: AM Run; Lunch Swim
Thur: AM Bike*; Lunch Run
Fri: Lunch Swim
Sat: AM Bike*; long run (1.5hr max)
Sun: AM Bike (1.5-2hr); brick run
* denotes interval session.
Weekday workouts 45-60min duration.
Most runs will feature 6-12' of T-pace.

2010-10-01 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
My motivation is redemption for my disastrous year I had.  When you're a first year guy, and don't do well then there's alot of self imposed pressure to prove that you're not a weekend warrior, bucket lister, etc. 

For me, motivation is easy when you're down, its hard when you're up. 
2010-10-01 4:15 PM

User image

NH
I'm focusing this off season on getting my run placements in line with my swim and bike at the sprint distance.  So I'm run focused, with speed as #1 goal, and enough biking to not lose too much before I undertake Jorge's plan Feb 1 or so.  I have a few 5ks planned over the fall and winter to track progress.
2010-10-01 4:37 PM

Regular
Raleigh
I'm in.  I don't think I have any real problem with staying motivated and a lot of locals (Raleigh, NC) to keep me focused, but every little piece of motivation helps.

Happy to share my off-season experiences and take some flack from everyone!  Tongue out

Season not quite done yet, and still work to do.   I have a sprint tomorrow and am signed-up for a half marathon in mid November.  Possible that I may also do the bike leg of a half IM relay team Oct 30th.

2010-10-04 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3129074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
JollyRoger - 2010-10-01 4:37 PM I'm in.  I don't think I have any real problem with staying motivated and a lot of locals (Raleigh, NC) to keep me focused, but every little piece of motivation helps.

Happy to share my off-season experiences and take some flack from everyone!  Tongue out

Season not quite done yet, and still work to do.   I have a sprint tomorrow and am signed-up for a half marathon in mid November.  Possible that I may also do the bike leg of a half IM relay team Oct 30th.

Roger -
How did you do in the sprint?
2010-10-04 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
1 OLY and 2 HIM and my slow as a crawl swim!!! 

Its my 2nd year of doing tris and I know my plan is quite ambitious but I have the time and motivation to put the hours in so I will make the jump.

I know my mind is tronger than my body but the body has to be trained more so than my brain.

2010-10-07 9:27 AM

Gainesville, VA
After my 1st season behind me now, I plan on getting faster so that next year I can WIN my division.  This past weekend I came in 4th so it is a goal that I WILL attain!

As for working out over the cold winter, I will stay at the GYM and get all my workouts in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season Motivation Rss Feed  

of 2