Overall Rank = 1116/2579
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 190/380
Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jumped in and immediately amazed that there was some sight possible in the water. Also, funny thought about the water not being salty. Start was good, not too much agressive bumping, but a lot of contact, which suprisingly didn't bother me much. Started in the middle of the dock and ended up constantly drifting right toward the shore. Often had to get my legs to the right to get swimming straight. This seemed like the current and not my stroke. Got out of the water and up the chute. Wetsuit strippers were great. Checked my watch at swim in arch and couldn't believe it wasn't at 30min yet. That was a boost.
What would you do differently?:

This was way better than expected. Current was great. Sighting and swimming straight could've shaved a few seconds.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

Slow getting feet clean and into Injinji Toe Socks and Cep Compression Calf Sleves. Knew this was going to take time, but fumbled a little. Forgot to start Garmin in Transition.

Conisdered doing no socks on the bike and would've been fine. With all the rain, socks didn't make a bit of difference. Everything was 100% soaked and I had to decide to change them at T2 anyway. Got up to line and clipped in quick. Up to speed quick and settled down. Get a 310XT so I can start the Garmin with the swim and just keep it going.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Raining like mad. Crowded. Couple of scary moments. Couldn't help but draft on some passes as the course just got bunched up.
Dropped my bottle with Infinit and stopped to get it. Race volunteer grabbed it and brought it to me. Probably lost 2 minutes trying to get back into traffic as it was a downhill and people were cruising by. Just kept trying to keep an even pace and stay in the saddle. Climbing was good. Usually passed a lot of people there. Downhill was keeping my own. Seemed to lose ground on the flats... not sure why.

Rode better than I thought I would. Equal in time to what I rode in training with a partner, so pretty happy. A little tight coming off the bike, but that went away within 400 yards, so pretty pleased. Wish I wouldn't have lost my glasses.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Decided to change socks as they were completely soaked and the thought of wasting 1 min in transition seemed better than wasting tons of time walking with blisters. Probably paid off, but have to see if I can go to non-toe socks for triathalons, just too much hopping/figiting to get toes in their slots. Otherwise good. Got moving quick and was happy with where my split was at this point in the race.

No socks on the bike. Maybe with new bike will come new shoes that are comfy without socks. Then reg. socks for the run.
Run
  • 2h 13m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Stomach seemded to be rejecting taking water. No cramps, but a bit tight. Started walking a bit at mile 3.5 and saw Shannon and the kids. She gave me a "you're way ahead of where you need to be... doing great" which maybe demotivated me a little. Did OK until mile 10 then started double walking thinking I could make it with a final push.

Keep pushing until the end. Got a little cocky on making my A+++ goal of 5:30 and then blew it with 3.1 miles to go. Had to go hard and just cruised it in.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and gatorade. Massage tent. Walked all over looking for Shannon and the Girls, then more walking to get bike, then more walking to get race day bag...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall rain on the bike probably slowed me down a little. Mentally broke down on the run and failed to really GO FOR IT/crush my A+++ goal instead of being satisfied with being between A+++ and crushing my A goal.

Event comments:

I guess some people didn't get medals and that would drive me crazy if I were them.

Last updated: 2010-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:30 | 2143 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/380
Overall: 903/2579
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3
Course: Downstream in the river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:58 | 56 miles | 20.87 mile/hr
Overall: 718/2579
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 155
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:13:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 0/2579
Performance: Average
Avg HR 167 Started taking manual splits at mile 1 so 2-13.1 were: 2)8:46, 3)9:23, 4)9:50, 5)10:30, 6)10:26, 7)10:11, 8)10:57, 9)10:33, 10)11:01, 11)11:25, 12)11:31, 13.1)11:05
Course: Flat 2 loop course. Actually pretty good to have it broken into equal lengths, but then again also a bit boring
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-29 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
Saint Johns, FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-30 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3123789

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Nice race! You definitely could have shaved some time off had you not dropped your bottle on the bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed