General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody ever have excess skin removed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-23 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3123840

Subject: RE: Anybody ever have excess skin removed
If you are familiar with under armour brand stuff, what wal-mart carries is a nock of it. Its basically what football players wear under their pads. compression shirts are just stretchy and tight. I have loose skin and it keeps everything in it place when i swim bike and run. It does protect from the sun as well while swimming. I wear a sleeveless shirt because when a swim the shirts with the sleeves chaff around my armpits. I hope this helps. 

2011-09-29 4:43 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

11,000 page views.  That's alot of page views.

Who is reading this?

2011-10-01 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3705698

Veteran
Ohio
Lots of people it appears!  I for one very much appreciate the updates on how things are progressing.  Having lost some weight, but not what you have accomplished, I was a little interested in in the possibility of getting the skin tightened up a bit.  I don't think surgery is for me right now, but interested none the less.  Thanks for all insight you have given in these posts! 
2011-10-09 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas
I do, ive lost just under 100# so far with 15 to go, im pretty sure i will have the surgery, how long after you lost the weight did you have surgery? Im mostly worried about the recovery and being able to go back to work within 6 weeks.
2011-10-10 3:21 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

I had taken the bulk of the weight off five years earlier.  I don't know why I never thought about the surgery before.  I just got sick of it one day and went for the surgery.  Not really "one day".  While training for a triathlon, I just got sick of all the issues the skin caused.  It's been a big plus in my life.  I wish I had done it sooner.  I guess I had to "earn it" by training and completeing a  sprint tri.

I was back to a desk job with in two weeks or so.  Yes it hurt some but it was workable.  If you have a physical job, you probably could do it, but it might hurt. 

The right chest scar still hurts, but I am okay with that.  What's a little more chronic pain?

2011-10-11 12:47 AM

User image

Lexington, KY
Flapjack - 2011-09-29 5:43 PM

Who is reading this?

I am reading it!

It is very, very interesting and I am so glad you are sharing everything.

I have lost 150lbs since late 2008 and I started this year out with a lot of loose skin. I have been running, biking, swimming and weight training 6 days a week since Feb 1st (just sporadically before that) and I have tightened up almost everywhere. My arms are great and my stomach, while far from perfect, looks the same as, if not better than, many of my peers in the YMCA locker room :-

The only two places I haven't noticed a significant difference in are my inner thighs and my breasts...well where my breasts used to be :-) Hopefully another 9 months at my current intensity and level of dedication and I'll see dramatic improvements there as well.

One day I may be in the position/have the desire to do something surgical about those areas and thanks to your detailed journey I will have no problem taking that leap!

2011-10-13 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3718726

User image

Master
Chicago
nails - 2011-10-11 12:47 AM

Who is reading this?

I am reading it!

I have lost 150lbs since late 2008 and I started this year out with a lot of loose skin. I have been running, biking, swimming and weight training 6 days a week since Feb 1st (just sporadically before that) and I have tightened up almost everywhere. My arms are great and my stomach, while far from perfect, looks the same as, if not better than, many of my peers in the YMCA locker room :-

The only two places I haven't noticed a significant difference in are my inner thighs and my breasts...well where my breasts used to be :-) Hopefully another 9 months at my current intensity and level of dedication and I'll see dramatic improvements there as well.

One day I may be in the position/have the desire to do something surgical about those areas and thanks to your detailed journey I will have no problem taking that leap!

Nails... I'm in the 150/150 boat too... well except I haven't reached the 150 goal yet. I'm stuck 2/3 of the way, and have been for some time now.

Yes, I'm here reading Flap! Your journey has been helpful to those of us who might consider this some day.

Edited by IdealMuse 2011-10-13 10:11 PM
2011-10-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3723509

User image

Lexington, KY
IdealMuse - 2011-10-13 11:10 PM
nails - 2011-10-11 12:47 AM

Who is reading this?

I am reading it!

Nails... I'm in the 150/150 boat too... well except I haven't reached the 150 goal yet. I'm stuck 2/3 of the way, and have been for some time now. Yes, I'm here reading Flap! Your journey has been helpful to those of us who might consider this some day.

If you are stuck might I recommend what worked for me?? change! I find if you mix it up every month then your body stays guessing and keeps melting off the weight. Go low carb for 4 weeks then low fat for 4 weeks then cut out sugar for 4 weeks, etc...for me, I can do ANYTHING for 4 weeks (with a day off every week of course) and as soon as my body adapts to the change I mix it up. I do the same with exercise, I do it 6 days a week but keep changing my routine, I always include bike, run, swim and weight training but in different intensities with a different focus each month.

Good Luck!

2012-03-09 1:14 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

15 months out and 15,00 page views later.

I went to the Dr yesterday for a check up on the scars.  The right chest scar still hurts.  He informed me that sometimes nerves get caught up in them and have persistent pain.  He looked at the chest scars and thought they needed revision.  The waistline scar is just fine in the front, but in the back its another story.

I had never really looked at the back side, I always assumed it looked like the front.  Right now, the front waist scar looks like a little white line with a bit of red bordering it.  I can imagine someday it will be near invisible.  The back side looks like someone slapped a red hot poker across my lower back.  It gets comments when I am in the pool.  "Car accident?"  "What happened to your back"  I don't think anything is going to happen to that scar any time soon revision wise.

The chest scars are another matter.  They are lumpy in spots  and also very red.  We knew going in that this would be the challenging area.  He indicated that he wants to do a revision on those at about the two year mark.  At that time he would take care of the right chest scar pain too.

I asked him about some of the excess fat and skin along my Lats area.  I keep losing weight, but that area seems resistant to weight loss.  He indicated that there is a lot more skin there than needs to be, so it tends to hold more fat as well.

I told him I was trying to lose some more weight to see if I could get that part to go away.  He was like "Uhhhhh...I think your thin enough."  Hey When your plastic surgeon says quit losing weight, you must be about 10 pounds from race weight.  "Really, you don't need to lose anymore weight."

Anyway...  the process continues.  I am not really done with it, but the results are still very positive.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody ever have excess skin removed Rss Feed  

of 6