United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 49s
Overall Rank = 132/397
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, had some oatmeal, gathered up the wife and son ( my runner for the relay ) and left the house at 5:10. Arrived at Lake Worth and had to get our packets because we couldn't get down the day before. Got body marked and then went to the transition area to set up. Walked to the beach to enjoy a magnificent sunrise!
Event warmup:

Warmed up with a swim to get stretched out and see what the current was doing.
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

After making the mistake of starting in the middle of the group during the Loggerhead, I decided to start on the up current side of the group, right at the waters edge. Had a real clean swim and allowed the slight current to take me right into the north side of the first buoy. Continued south, passing numerous people with different colored caps, and had a strong finish to the beach. I felt I did about as good as I could have done, swimming in clean water the entire course. Course was definitely longer than 400 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was very happy with my strategy of staying clear of the pack. I lost a lot of time at the Loggerhead by getting caught up in the sea of humanity fighting for position to the first buoy. Will never do that again!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

After crossing the timing pad I walked a fast pace to the transition area. Didn't want to put anymore stress on my bad knees by running in the sand. I felt much more relaxed in this transition than I did at the Loggerhead. I have LG Tri Lite shoes and they slip on real easy with just one strap. I also never felt bothered by the sand on my feet, as I didn't even know the shoes were on.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 39m 58s
  • 12.53 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed pretty good out of transition and was at 16 going up the first climb. On the downhill side I got up to 32. My legs felt pretty good until the third turn around and then started to feel tired. Hitting the bridge again coming into the finish I slowed to 13 and felt lucky to be doing that. On the downside I got up to 27. Overall, I did much better than the Loggerhead, so I feel like the race was a success.

I need to do more bridge work.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

My son (11) did the run leg, so my work was done!! He was not at the rack when I entered the transition area (was waiting to see me coming in and missed me), so we lost a few seconds there.

Tie my son to the rack!
Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

My son finished strong and said he probably could have gone harder. It was only his second 5K, so he's learning. He and his friend were the youngest competitors in the event.
Post race
Event comments:

The low rating is do to the inaccuracy of the distances and the lack of post race activities. With the technology available distances should be pretty accurate.

Last updated: 2010-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 400 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 123/397
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Course went from North to South and was longer than 400 yards. Buoys appeared to be 100 yards from shore. Minimal current and the ocean had really settled down from what it had been all week, probably 2 foot swells. In the pool I swim 1:35/100 yards and I know things slowed down a little in the ocean, but the gap seems pretty big.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:58 | 12.53 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 166/397
Wind: Some
Course: Over the Intracoastal bridge to Federal Hwy. then north, turn around and go south, turn around again and go north, back to the south again and then north to Lake Ave. Across the bridge again on into the transition area. That last bridge crossing was tough on the old quads!! My Garmin measured the course at 12.53 miles. It's advertised at 11!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:21 | 03.1 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 126/397
Course: Over the Intracoastal bridge twice. Loop around Bryant Park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes