Augusta, Georgia
United States
Premier Event Management
Total Time = 5h 49m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 206/278
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 4:45 and brewed coffee and drank a Muscle Milk Banana Cream.
With transition bag packed, walked the 25 minutes to transition. I set up my T area and placed my transition bag in a garbage bag as it was going to rain hard later on. I placed my bag on my stuff to shield my shoes and stuff from the rain. I hopped in line for a last resort porta-stop before hopping in the shuttle to swim start.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up of anything but squeezing into my full sleeved wetsuit which is always a chore in itself. I wish I could have got in the water prior but there was way too much going on down by the river.Did some minor stretching.
Swim
  • 33m 34s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hopped in and lined up middle of pack. I started to drift toward the front. I wanted to save my energy but had to keep my position with a few strokes.By the time the horn went off, I was in the 3rd row...dodging the kicks and flails.
The swim was horrible. Having not warmed up, I was finding it hard to catch my breath in the cold water. The suit almost felt constrictive to me. (i should have went sleeveless). I didnt get my movement/ breathing down til about the bridge...which was unfortunate as I was close to BOP by then. I also had the worst time sighting this swim. I ended up at one time almost on shore but a kayaker steered me right. I crossed the paths of a few after that which told me I was still zigzagging. I actually began sighting the yellow buoy at the end and swam to it and looked up and I was past the swim exit!!! So I had to backtrack some to get to the boat ramp. Horrible swim but still posted a good time as the current was my friend!
What would you do differently?:

Not sure how to get in the water to warm up for this race...sighting is VERY important in a point to point swim. I probably added 3-4 minutes to my time correcting.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

A really long trot to transition. I used a wetsuit stripper to whip me out of my suit. That was fun! I then began my trot/dodging puddles in transition to my spot. Stuff was wet on top but my bag shield worked! I ran with shoes on dodging the pool of water at the bike exit.

At the mount line there was a back up of people stopping to mount right AT the line...ugh! I tried to trot past them to gain the advantage but just as I got past, a rider lazily mounted and was swerving all over like they were in too high a gear to begin pedaling...so I ended up stopping and swinging a leg over to mount...slowest mount ever!!!

Scream at people to get the hell out of my way.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

By the time we got a few mile on the bike in the skys opened up and tried to wash us away...heavy rains. I started the ride at a decent pace and thought to myself *I must save for the run* and looked down and I was at 23-25mph...which was odd as I was hardly putting the hammer down. So I kept at it. Legs felt good and I was dedicated to my nutrition timing. I started my timer on my watch for 20 minute intervals- at which I'd swig down Accelerade or pop one of the 4 GU Roctanes I had taped to my frame. I was not about to bonk on this leg again like the last HIM. I had a few cups of water in my front aerobottle which was quickly diluted with gatorade from an aid station.
I was nearing mile 17 and was slowing for a left turn and felt my rear end wiggle a bit. I though I might had slid on the line and thought nothing of it and began to hammer to get up to speed again. As I pedaled, I felt a light thump with each stomp.I looked back and everything seemed fine. I hopped up and down on the saddle and resulted a THUD THUD THUD...crap, my tubie was losing form. I rode it out to the next turn where a lone cop and a spectator stood on bike gear and bike taking notes. I pulled over and the cyclist looked at me and asked if I was alright. I gave a thumbs up and said "Flat tire". I accessed the situation: tire was flat. It was raining. My spare tubie was unglued and dripping wet.I thought to myself *a wet tubie is not going to stick on the rim glue*. I laid my bike on its side and took the rear wheel off and sat down on the median. So many thoughts jetted thru my head- omg my race is over...crap I spent a lot of money on this to lose out now 17 miles in...just try out the new tubie and risk injury if it pops off...I wonder if any racer will lend me a can of Pit Stop...I began cracking the old tire off and was going to risk the new wet tubie without glue.

It was at that point the spectator walked up and was like "what do you need?". I told him my situation and he was like..."is it still holding air?". I answered "it's not completely flat yet". He said "Let it hold then, fill it and ride it out", dropped me a C02 cartridge and walked back like nothing ever happened. I never thought of that option, and filled it up, put the wheel back on and mounted up and rolled off, thanking the guy.
It took me a long time to get back into the race from all this, but I eventually got back to speed and settled in for the rest of the ride. The tire remained spongy but was firm enough to not bang the rim anymore. I made it back to transition *phew*...

One word: Pit-Stop.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Same situation at the dismount line...stopped people getting off the bike, so I couldnt leap off while running like usual. I was dismounting with a bunch of top female AG'ers too. (they had caught up to me)
Running shoes were dry as I slipped them on. I trotted out the run exit and ran right thru the big ass puddle. All that work to stay footdry was ruined. As I left transition, I saw Alan leaving the racks.
Run
  • 2h 17m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I began a trot to begin to get my legs back. Alan caught up and wanted to run with me, but I knew he had more spunk and didn't want to hold him back and sent him on to his victory. I got a good pace down and dropped from a 10:00 to 9:30 pace, but walked the aid stations. This continued on for the first lap and I decided to not watch my pace for a bit. The crowd was great, shouting and hooting me on...on my way back out to the old town turn around I saw Doug and 100 yrds later I saw Alan on the other side of the street. I looked down and I was at some awful pace like 10:50s or something so I sped up to try and catch Alan. Some minutes later as I made my way back in downtown I checked my running time on my timex and holy crap it was only at 5:20:00!!! I can actually make this sub6 goal! I popped my reserve Roctane and stepped on it. I glanced at one point and was hitting a 8:00ish pace now and striding hard now. I thought to myself this is only a sprint tri run...3 miles is all I need and I humped it. I caught up to Doug and gave quick encouragements but couldn't slow to chit chat. The last stretch I was at a 6:00 pace sprinting in...turned the right into the chute and just kept going...I ran through the line and hit the brakes. Sub 6 with a horrible swim, with a flat tire and with my short ass slow running legs...done.
Post race
Warm down:

I left the chute and stumbled into a group of IOSDTers and chit chatted some and then went into the after race festivities...I found Alan by the massage tent. He was feeling ill and was trying to recover. I signed up and got a leg/butt rub down...ugh that felt awesome! I worked my way to the chute to wait for Jennifer. I was mid chute but wanted a better view, so i worked my way around to the corner of the road. Apparently during that time she ran in...oops! I did at least get to see Tracey finish.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:34 | 2143 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/278
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: Point to Point downstream with some flow.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:49:29 | 56 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: fast!!!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:17:46 | 13.1 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 loop flat thru town
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-30 12:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-30 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3125206

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Scottie that was one heck of a ride especially with a flat tire. Nice run to follow. Well done!
2010-09-30 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
So proud of you!
2010-09-30 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Knock on wood, but I've never flatted during a race. Way to hang in there.
2010-10-01 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
One word for you....clinchers.  But seriously, great race.  Glad your shoulder is all healed up and your running knees are doing well.  Keep up the good work.
2010-10-01 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome luck with the tire!  congrats on killing that 6 hr goal!  great job!!

2010-10-08 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Great race despite the tire issues.  I was right behind you at 5:54.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed