Total Time = 2h 42m 26s
Overall Rank = 35/148
Age Group = CLYDES
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Au Gres again
Morning was completely unspectacular, had my usual ClifBar and 2 bananas
Parking was easy again
Transition closed pretty early, before 7:30am, that was a little time squeeze but no issue
Event warmup:

Pre race meeting was at 7:40 at the beach, pretty chilly, tried to stay on wood planks to stay alittle warmer
Tride to see Steve and Karen but missed them in the pre race croud

They switched the swim start from beach to wading and asked every wave to get in to get acclimated, tried to go in as late as possible
Swim
  • 31m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Would have been 8 out of 16 in M35-39

My toughest swim so far.
The water temp of 58F actually did not feel so cold, but the issue were the waves of probably 2-3 feet. Every couple of waves there was a larger wave that really threw one around. As long as I was breathing to the right I was okay and actually enjoyed it. But breathing to the left did not work, lost orientation and balance.

Worst thing were all the people cheating! A lot of people did not swim but walked in shallower water. Some walked back on the wrong side of the rectangle, swam twice into folks going the wrong way, WTF...?!
Worst of all, some did not round the buoys, it felt like this was a free for all for whoever wanted to cheat!

Time included the long way from beach to T, ran most of it, was in pretty good shape!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, just hoping that people obviously cheating would be disqualified! After all this is triathlon, not chess. If you can't handle the conditions, drop out, dont effing cheat!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Had a spot close to the entrance, which meant running through most of transition with the bike
Bike
  • 1h 13m 55s
  • 25.18 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Would have been 3 out of 16 in M35-39

Most of the ride was uneventful, HR was high in the beginning but normalizing

On the way back, on a slight downhill going 25 there was suddenly a deer crossing the street approx 20yards ahead of me. I thought "oh oh, where there is one, there might be more" and sure enough, two smaller deer were coming out to my left in full speed. They see me and start ice-skating over the asphalt to change direcction. I hit the brakes to avoid them. First one crossed just ahead of me, second one went by right behind me, hitting me in the back. Had a little pain around the kidney for maybe 5 min.
A pickup truck was driving by but everything went so fast that I would not be surprised if they did not even notice

Ride back to town was normal, after the sprint turnaround I was passing people constantly
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Picked up my ShotBloks as usual, that really works for me!
Run
  • 51m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Would have been 6 out of 16 in M35-39

Kept pretty even pace, was very happy even though this was not PR
Given my fitness status this was better than I was hoping for
For the first time, I was not passed but passed people myself, all the way through turnaround, then the field was really stretched
Got water at every station, weather was just perfect, no overheating
Post race
Warm down:

Food was okay, got some water also
Saw Steve coming in, he was doing great

After around 2 hours I had some pizza, then took a nap in the car

Joined Steve and Karen at their camper just before the after-party

Stayed for the after party to pick up my trophy, they delayed the ceremony until 6:30pm or so... then headed back to Ann Arbor

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was pretty much the best I could have performed at, given all the interuptions in my training plan due to the upcoming relocation

Event comments:

Would have been 5 out of 16 in M35-39

THis was a great wrap up of the race year for me, even more so as this was the last race in the US, certainly for some time to come!

Last updated: 2010-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:39 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 51/148
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Longsleeve
Course: We started in the water this year, they wanted everybody acclimated to the cold water before the start Supposedly a long rectangle along the shore. Leg out was in waist to shoulder deep water, leg back in was in deeper water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:55 | 25.18 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 29/148
Avg HR 159, avg cad 80 20.1, 167, 83 21.1, 162, 83 20.5, 158, 81 19.5, 154, 79 22.0, 157, 82
Wind: Some
Course: Same as last year, first mile through the city, then with a few turns out to the northwest, turnaround and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 49/148
Performance: Good
Avg HR 146 8:14, 153 8:22, 150 8:13, 154 8:13, 149 8:19, 130 ?? 8:11, 138 ?? 7:53, 170
Course: New run course along the main road and then through wooded area Relatively boring, but it was much better with only two real turns
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes