General Discussion Race Reports! » US Air Force Marathon/Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

US Air Force Marathon/Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
WPAFB, Ohio
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 36m 45s
Overall Rank = 2047/2417
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 100/122
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, round up the rest of the team. Munched on some bread and drank a couple Gatorades
Event warmup:

Stand in the bathroom line for 45 minutes... desperately race through the crowd to find hubby who's holding my bag, phone, and race number!
Run
  • 5h 36m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first full marathon and I think it went well enough. I was on a spanking fast pace for the first 8 miles but at mile 9 my knee tried to lock up and I was forced to walk for a mile to work it out. I never quite picked up my pace after that. I started a really good slow pace with a lady from New Mexico around mile 15 and we hung out until the very end keeping each other motivated and entertained.
Miles 9-12 were probably my worst. My iPod broke, my knee locked up, and my gel carrier started ripping... but I managed to push through!
What would you do differently?:

Started slower and trained with more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Limped into the food tent. Ate anything that would stay down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed more training on hills!

Event comments:

The water stations were really great. They were almost ever mile but I wish there had been more gel/food stations. I had seen that the first gel station wasn't until mile 8 and with how many calories I burn that's too late for me so I had to carry more gel.

Last updated: 2010-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
05:36:45 | 26.2 miles | 12m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/122
Overall: 0/2417
Performance: Average
Course: More hills than I had expected. The first mile is over the runway still but mile 2-4.5 are a looooong climb. From there until mile 8 it's gently rolling hills that are mostly downhill. Mile 9-21 are a very gradual (maybe 100' for 12 miles) downhill. Mile 21 brings you back to the rolling hills which you now have to climb. The last mile is the worst because you can hear the announcer calling out names are people cross and you get within 200' of the finish line but you have a 1 mils rectangle to run still.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes