Premier Event Management
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 24m 45s
Overall Rank = 943/3200?
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 160/380
Pre-race routine:

Actually slept really good. Had almost no pre race jitters. Got down to transition and had wife park me pretty close. Got my stuff set up. Shoes and socks in plastic bags. Drove down to swim start got chip. Sipped some gatorade and ate a Gu. Feeling really ready to go.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. hung out and talked to the guys aaround me. Felt good not to be a first timer this year.
Swim
  • 28m 43s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt really good. started front center. Felt nice and smooth pretty early on. Took till the bridges to get out of the crowds and no more bumping. Kept pretty much on course. Sited the bridges at first then the boat house. Could have swam a straight up swim race faster but smooth was the order of the day. Knew I was ok because halfway through had plenty of guys from the wave before with me. Got caught by a few from behind near end. 1 min slower than last year. No worries
What would you do differently?:

Not much. pray for the current to be stronger.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Used the strippers. One place in life I by pass the cute skinny girls and find a guy to ripe off my clothes. T1 was crowded trying to get the bike out of the rows. Cant believe how many people walk in transition.

Hope to get closer to exit. I was racked pretty much dead center of transition.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out on the bike and computer wasnt working. Must have got bumped worked fine sat.You have ridden hundreds of miles you know how it is supposed to feel. Settled in and was off to brave the rain. They had mile marks every 5 miles. Kept looking at my watch. Was right around 15 min/5 miles. Figured I was in 20mph range so felt good. I really enjoy this bike course. No hills that need to get out of saddle. One is a pretty long grinder. Felt good I passed way more people than passed me. Started catching 30 y/o 2 waves ahead. Finally got "chicked about half way through. she was flying. I kept to my plan had 3 Gu's, bag and half of Chomps. 2 bottles of Gatorade and some water. The last part of the ride after final water stop got pretty crowded. Nice rollers on smooth wet road. Felt like I was really flying. Before you knew it we were back to T2. Couldnt believe that I was low 2:40's. Faster than planned but I felt really good. I could have kept that up for much longer. Way better than last year. Off the bike T2 less crowded. Got a shot at a really good time. Feet dont fail me know.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Slipped into dry shoes and socks. Thanks to someone on this site for the plastic bag idea. Needed to pee but there was a line. Oh well we wil figure it out.
Run
  • 2h 08m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

this is the part of the race I came back to conquer. I had to walk alot 5 miles in last year. I wanted to feel good this time. I put in 16-20 long runs for 3 months coming in so I can do this. Felt really good coming off the bike. I was still stoked about my ride. Around mile 4 both feet were numb. Not sure why.went away around mile 8. never had this trouble before. I was still keeping right at a 9 min pace which was my plan. Passed mile 5 still feeling great. So happy to not be in the hurt box. Kept a great pace till mile 9. Hurt box was in my very near future. Im not gonna walk suck it up. Knew mile 10-12 were gonna be the worst of it. Got down to the turn at mile 11 water stop. Everyone was walking. People on laps 1 and 2. Dont buy into it just push. HTFU time. Before I knew it mile 12. I never walked. It wasnt pretty but it was never a walk. The crowds at this point were awsome. I didnt dare look at my watch. Last year it took me 6:03. I came to do a 5:45. My dont tell anyone dream time was to do 5:30. I didnt want to know where I was time wise. Turned the corner and could see turn for finish. I took off in what felt like a world class sprint. Im sure it looked pretty good amongest the nursing home crowd. Turned into the finish shoot. That time cant be right. Heard my name announced. Looked for my wife but didnt see her. Crossed the line and finally looked at my watch. 5:24:45. Holy Crap. Way faster than I dared to dream. Cant blame my wife for missing it. I shouldnt have been here yet. Took me a few minutes to catch my breath and take it in. Wow 40 min PR.

I really hope to break 2 hr mark on the run someday soon. I can do mid 1:40's on stand alone halfs so I have the ability. Just trying to do it off the bike. Oh well I know lots of people that would kill to do a 2:08 half mary
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into the common area to find wife and daughter. Calfs and quads were smoked. This really hurt to push this hard for so long. Finally found my wife on her way to watch the finish line with our 2 y/o. She looked at her watch and said you must have had a really good race. I just smiled and showed her my watch. What a great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure what caused the feet to go numb. Both calfs really hurt for a couple days. I probably should have stopped and streched them out when they felt tight early on. I didnt want to stop on this run. Ill take the pain and little bit slower than hoped for run. I had a great bike, avg swim and got through the run running. Im very happy with how my day went.

Event comments:

I really like this venue. Fast swim, really fun bike and flat run with great crowds. It has its issues that seem to be working out. I hear the ran out of medals later in the day. No excuse for that. It would have pissed me off big time. I think overall they do a good job.

Last updated: 2010-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:43 | 2143 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/380
Overall: 964/3200?
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultra john
Course: Point to point down river wetsuit legal down river swim. What more could you want.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:42:30 | 56 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Overall: 805/3200?
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Wet with some pretty good hills for a Fla boy
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 1319/3200?
Performance: Average
Course: flat 2 loop course through downtown Augusta. Mix of crowds downtown then through some neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes