Twin Cities in Motion
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 12s
Overall Rank = 231/864
Age Group = F2229
Age Group Rank = 90/303
Pre-race routine:

Out of bed at 5:25, dress, oatmeal + peanut butter + brown sugar = yum, OJ, poo, out the door by 6:20-6:25. Matt drove and we parked at Sears. Was a bit chilly - needed a hat and gloves for pre-race.
Event warmup:

Jogged for 10-ish minutes at about 7:00, then stood around for a little while longer and jogged for another 3-ish minutes closer to starting time.
Run
  • 57m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Was surprised how much distance there was between the "Start" banner and the actual timing mats. Felt great starting out -- tried to gently push in the first few miles, and step it up starting around mile 2. Didn't really thin out until mile 4 or so, so I was weaving in and out of people for more of it than I would have liked. Met some folks from an accounting firm who were also shooting for an hour, and we ran together for a little while. Just tried to hold on and give it all I had towards the end - I was starting to hurt in the last half. Gave it a great push at the end, and finished near empty. Great race! I also saw Garrison Keillor between Ramsey Hill and James J. Hill House on the way back and I waved :-). "Overall" results are out of total number of females, not all.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little farther up in the pack (really?? me??). According to the results, I finished ahead of 624 runners that started ahead of me, and only got passed by 34 overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to jog a little bit, but that hurt, so I just walked, drank water, ate some weird chip things, stretched, walked back to the car to warm up afterward - it was cold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running experience / ability?

Event comments:

Calling the 10K one of the "family events" sort of belittles it to me, but I understand that they need to have it sometime, and it's a really busy weekend. TCIM runs great races.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:12 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 90/303
Overall: 231/864
Performance: Good
Course: Start at the Capitol, up John Ireland Blvd to Summit, along Summit to Pascal and back. Bigger hill on John Ireland (up on the way out, down on the way back). Home turf :-).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes