FS Series
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 103/163
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke just after 5, on the road at 6:00. Egg, Turkey, & Cheese wrap for breakfast, half a powerbar and a gu 30-15 minutes before start. Had part of a Pepsi even though I've reduced sugar lately, but I've never raced without a little soda in the moning.

A little tight on time getting my packet. Christine took the car and Xander to park and ride the tram in, I had Zack. A little disorganized, but no real problems.
Event warmup:

Struggling into my wetsuit took at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 and was exhausting. Swam out 50 yards then back. I was worried they were already starting.
Swim
  • 14m 4s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started too far forward because everyone was hanging way back. This was the worst I have ever been in the washing machine. I'm not fast but I'm confident so it wasn't too bad. The guys breast stroking in the first 200 are annoying, those kicks are dangerous. I kicked very little and worked hard to stay with the crowd to get some draft as long as possible.

Once I lost them a little after the 1st buoy and the rest of them half way I slowed down. The next wave caught me on the last turn.
What would you do differently?:

Be faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

The right leg of my wetsuit actually popped off unexpectedly. What I really had trouble with was stepping on it close enough to the end to hold it down while getting my foot out. I tried to put my helmet on while doing this, but the two motions are very different. Struggled with the bike shoes being tight.
Bike
  • 53m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

At 5 miles I was only averaging 15mph. The turns, hills, wind, and cold wet skin really hurt me. Improved after that. 29' to the turn around, 21' back with better wind direction and warmer.

Taped 2 gels two my top tube (thanks fgump) and took one at about 20' total race time and the other near the end of the bike. I wonder if I could have gone harder.

Push harder? I think the conditions slowed me more than anything.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Coming down the steep hill I was a little more cautious jumping off, but at least I coasted all the way to the line this time. No issues, I should have been faster.

???
Run
  • 26m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm really proud of my run. Started out okay keeping a quick turnover. I was dying, but I was moving. I was very close to walking up the hills. 1st mile was 9'.

Got passed a guy in my AG and talked a bit. I was trying to stir up some good natured competition. I held on until half way (the only time I took water) and he pulled away. I told him I wasn't giving up. Then another guy in our AG passed us both. 2nd mile was 8:30.

I turned it up a bit and started gaining on them. I passed one and struggled to catch the next. Buried myself and caught him on the last steep climb, right at the top. I worried I should have waited to pass, but he didn't respond at all. I checked over my shoulder a couple of times including in the chute and didn't see either. So I was thrilled I held off two guys that I think would have beaten me if I didn't see them.

There were 2 guys finishing ahead of me and I really didn't have much left. One was not my AG, I couldn't read the other, but he looked older so I didn't challenge them. Turns out I missed another spot in my AG by 2 seconds.

Chase down the last guy? Maybe, as it was I was looking for a place to puke, but didn't.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, especially swimming. Weather on the bike.

Event comments:

It's a very nice swim. The bike is fun if not suited to my strengths. The run is hard, but I'm came away feeling good about the challenge.

The hotdogs for everyone was nice. Defintiely a lot more welcoming than a lot of races.

Parking is difficult, though.

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:04 | 547 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/25
Overall: 134/163
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:17 | 15 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/25
Overall: 100/163
Wind: Headwind
Course: Tight turns and a lot of hills early (and late), rolling for the middle 10. Half of that with a tough head wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:20 | 03.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/25
Overall: 73/163
Performance: Good
Course: HILLY!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-02 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon

2010-10-03 2:42 AM
in reply to: #3130135

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon
You did awesome! You held your own in the wash, pushed through the bike under nasty conditions, and aced the run--super!
2010-10-04 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3130135

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon

Great job Mark!  And we both know blue bikes are fastest Wink

Sounds like a tough day at the races, but you kicked donkey.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Royale Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed