Ironman North America
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 17m 28s
Overall Rank = 293/2550
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/352
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 Drank one Ensure and at a Banana. Took a shower to get muscles loosened up. Drank another Ensure and had two packs of Banana Nut mini muffins. I headed down to the Monona Terrace at 4:50 AM. I got the bike set-up, body marked, and drank a bottle of water and a bottle of Cytomax. Put wetsuit on around 6:30 and headed down the helix to the water. I got into the water about three minutes before the cannon went off.
Event warmup:

9 months of training
Swim
  • 1h 16m 19s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself just to the left of the boat ramp right in the middle of the pack. The swim seemed to be the longest part of my day even though it was the shortest. I guess that is because I do not like swimming, in fact, I find it really boring. The first lap was difenitely more exciting for me then the second lap because I was getting hit and kicked, even got a bloody lip. The second lap was uneventful. I felt really good coming out of the water and I was happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push it a little more as I was not tired at all.
Transition 1
  • 11m 30s
Comments:

Got my wetsuit stripped and ran up the helix. I passed a number of people on my way to the changing area. When I got to the changing area there were no seats available, so I just found a corner and dumped my bag, put on my tri top, socks, helmet, and sunscreen. I put on way to much sunscreen, so I took some time wiping the excess off. On my way to the bike, I stopped at the porta a potty

Move faster. I really do not know what takes me so long in transition. I really need to cut off at least 4 minutes next time.
Bike
  • 5h 40m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

On my bike I had 3 bottles of Infinit with 2 servings in each bottle and then an aero bottle filled with water. Throughout the bike I refilled the aero bottle with water and/or Ironman perform as needed. On the way out to Verona I lost two of my bottles when I hit a bump just before the bike path, so I had to stop and go back to get them as I had Infinit in them. There were a lot of people on the stick that were riding 3 across which made it difficult to pass without going into the other lane. Once I got to Verona I stopped at the special needs porta potty to pee. Then continued on until I got to Mt. Horab where I stopped again to pee. The crowd support on hills after Cross Plains was great. These hills never felt so easy during the training rides. Made it back to Mt. Horab where I stopped to pee again. I was definetly hydrated. Hit the hills again for the second time and again felt really good going up. Once I hit the stick to head back to Madison, the wind was starting to pick up out of the southwest, so it was at my back the whole way back. I really pushed it on the way back. I felt great during the bike portion of this race and I felt I nailed my nutrition. 3 bottles of Inifinit, 2 bottles of Ironman Perform, 5-6 16 to 20 oz bottles of water, 2 packs of shot blocks, 3 powerbar harvest energy bars, and 6 saltstick tablets. The bike portion of this race seemed to go by very quickly.

Push it a little harder. My average HR was only 123 and my coach wanted my average HR rate between 128 and 138. Learn how to pee on my bike. Three potty stops cost me a lot of time.
Transition 2
  • 08m 32s
Comments:

Got into T2 got my shoes and shorts on and then headed to the porta potty to take a duece.

Try to get the system cleaned out first thing in the morning.
Run
  • 4h 00m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the marathon according to the game plan which was to walk through every aid station and get some nutrition. At each stop I either had water, cola,Perform, broth, pretzels, bananas, grapes, and/or chips. I stopped three time to pee, so I was well hydrated. The only issue on the run was that my salt tablets fell out of my jersey early on during the run. Fortunately, a lady on the course gave me one of hers at mile 20. The crowd support on the run was great. I was caught by one of my friends which was nice but I was a little concerned because he was really close to me while talking to me and he was looking deeply into my eyes. Maybe he liked the way I smelt after 11 hours of racing. I felt like I was on that Seinfeld episode with the close talker. I noticed the catchers were doing that with everyone, so I did not feel that special anymore.

Make sure my salt tablets are secure and not walk through all the aid stations during the second loop of the run. My stomach got a little iffy because I was full.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the food tent got a piece of pizza and a sprite. It took me about 25 minutes to finish both but afterwards I felt like a million bucks. I met up with the wife and got the keys to the car to put all my gear away. Then headed back to meet up with some friends and watch others finish. My wife and I went back to the hotel around 11 PM and hit the hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience

Event comments:

Great Race! This race was well organized and supported. The crowd support and volunteers were amazing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:19 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/352
Overall: 0/2550
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:40:52 | 112 miles | 19.71 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Ave. HR 123
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:00:17 | 26.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Waukesha
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-10-13 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3130563

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
impressive Kyle....
2010-10-13 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great race report and even better job!  Congrats.
2010-10-13 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Awesome job!!! Congrats!!!
2010-10-14 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
youre a stud... stellar job out there kyle... all of your hard work really showed...
2010-10-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3151613

User image

Master

Great job!

2010-10-15 9:51 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Wow!  Simply, WOW!