General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
United States
Ultramax Nation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 5s
Overall Rank = 469/780
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/46
Pre-race routine:

Get up. Eat PB&J waffle. Drive to race. Set up transition. Chat with family.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Water closed for swimming.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Unfortunately, the swim was cancelled due to recent heavy rains that brought pollutants into the ICW.
What would you do differently?:

Swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Strange T1. Swim was cancelled, so we ran barefooted from the swim out area 1 by 1 every 3 seconds apart into T1 as though we had swum.

Not really sure. Hope I don't have to do that kind of T1 again.
Bike
  • 2h 41m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good through the first 45 miles or so, but the wind really wore on me. Kept my watts on pace, but the wind was tough to fight going forward as well as steadying side to side. Expended more energy just going in a straight line than would have liked. Don't think it was any worse with the race wheels, just windy.

Not really sure as the wind was the key factor that I fought against and I got about as aero as I could be. Effort and time were about right for the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

About normal
Run
  • 1h 58m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good through about 4, then my heart rate wouldn't stay down. Motivation started to struggle. Felt pretty bad coming around the first lap. Second lap, the heart rate came back down, but fought extreme soreness in the legs. Ran until it felt like my legs would collapse, then walked a bit, then picked it back up again. Did that from about 7 or 8 on in. Amazingly enough, it was still a 5 minute PR over any other HIM run. That's something!

From the physical aspect:
Not really sure as I think the work on the bike over fatigued my legs, but my pacing was right on. Not really sure why they were so wiped except for that the wind forced me to work pretty hard.

From a mental aspect, I really need to work on letting go of things going wrong.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around then laid down on my fancy schmancy new HalfMax beach towel and had some of the new G2 recovery drink. Not very good, but had the right amount of calories and sodium to replenish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, fatigue, lack of mental game. Couldn't keep my mind in it as this was just a long brick at race pace, or at least that is what I had in my head. Not a long distance du, not a HIM, just a strange feeling to wrap my head around. I actually started the race about an hour after I should have been due to the cancelled swim and the institution of a TT start from T1. Got a little cold and hungry waiting for the start and wasn't prepared for that. Guess I should keep a gel and extra sleeves on hand for random situations like this.

Event comments:

Was actually a really well run race especially considering the last minute decision to have to cancel the swim. Ecoli levels were measured and the gov't officials said the levels were dangerous due to the storms. Very quick thinking on the part of the race crew to get everything to come off as well as it did for almost 1200 elite athletes and still make for a fair race for all. Would do this again if qualified.

Last updated: 2010-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/780
Performance:
None
Suit: None
Course: Out and back in ICW - Swim Cancelled due to Ecoli from recent storms in area
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:41:51 | 56 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/46
Performance: Good
1:18:50 - 205 NP 1:21:50 - 196 NP
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: T-shaped course down the highway. Similar to Chattanooga with less severe ups and downs. Long slow upgrades into the wind. Long slow downgrades with wind at the back and some crosswinds. Nice course if it hadn't been for the wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:39 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/46
Performance:
First 4 under 8 Moved into the 9s A couple in the 10s
Course: Out and back - 2 loop course. Shaded and rolling
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 6:14 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship

2010-10-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3130691

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship
Good job! Kind of weird they didn't have "du" plan in place. But, I guess it was a pretty unusual situation. I heard about the 20+ mph winds.....tough.
2010-10-04 2:40 AM
in reply to: #3130691

User image

Master
Subject: RE: TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship
Steelhead Part 2.

Lots of wind is just demoralizing. 

I feel your pain.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Halfmax Naitonal Championship Rss Feed