General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diarrhea after Triathlon / Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-04 1:39 AM

Subject: Diarrhea after Triathlon / Marathon
I know is a nasty subject but I need help...I did my first triathlon today. It was an olympic one...I usually don't train for that but I'm pretty active... I did a couple marathons and trail runs and I noticed that I get diarrhea after that or sometimes during the event depending the distance of the event...I assume that is from the energy gel, mix with gatorade and water...Also i was reading that is kind of normal for "runners"?!Is it the brand od the energy gel? (powerbar)Anybody experienced that? Thanks

2010-10-08 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3130983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Diarrhea after Triathlon / Marathon
Does it happen while you are training or races? Sometimes you get a brand of beverages your body is not used to and may get stomach problems. Gatorade and powerade give me bad heartburn so I like GU or hammer gel. That is why fueling strategy is important so you may want to try different brands and products during training. Race sponsors may give you an idea of the beverages they use (or you can just ask). It is also common to get diarreha after long runs or workouts. Some people call it "runners's trot". it will get better as you get in better shape or used to the workout. It is something related to the blood going from digestion process to your muscles. There are several things you can do like avoiding eating before working out especially high fiber foods, dairy and coffee

Edited by clflgrl 2010-10-08 11:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diarrhea after Triathlon / Marathon Rss Feed