AA Sports, Ltd.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-59 Male
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got some food in me early. I had a banana, some oatmeal and a power bar. I sipped on Gatorade every 15 minutes or so. I made sure to get some sun screen on prior to leaving the house.
Event warmup:

Due to some messing around on my part on Friday I drove the bike route and skipped the prerace swim at the lake. Instead I was running late and chose to drive the bike loop. On Race day I chose to mess around at T1 vice get in a warm-up swim. This would probably be my undoing.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1931 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

The morning of the race I screwed around at the Transition and did not get a warm-up swim in. I had about 5 minutes in the water before my heat started. While the weather was sunny and warming up nicely the water was 57 to 59 degrees which felt very cold to me.

I went out slow and controlled. I tried to build speed on every turn. I lifted my head for navigation on every. I used a modified bi-lateral breathing pattern. At about 300 meters I started to hyperventilate. I threw up into the water twice. At this point the beach curved away from the course. I decided to take the DNF vice risk getting sick again in the water.

Not exactly a shining moment for me, I was able to breast stroke to the beach. It took about 5 minutes to regain normal breathing and for the nausea to go away.
What would you do differently?:

Because my son was in the hospital and the weather has been wet this year with little sunshine I only had one open water swim. The open water swim was at Vancouver Lake which is warm. I tried an off road triathlon a couple of years ago and had the same issue of shakes and nausea.
To make sure this does not happen again I am going to:
• Get in a long warm-up the day prior and race day
• Review Cold Water swimming techniques
• In race season swim open water every 10 days

Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 58 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 02s  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

It is funny but the only time I felt bad about my DNF was watching my friends cross the finish line. Although the swim of shame to the beach wasn’t much fun either. I feel as long as I learned something from the event it wasn’t necessarily a waste. Sure I didn’t get to really race but, I am going to be just that much fresher and better trained for Troika in five weeks. I also learned to pay attention to water temperature and educate myself for colder water swimming.

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1931 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
WAVE 6 Males 45 & Over Females 45 & Over 9:20
Suit: ProMotion
Course: The course was a counter clockwise triangle. It did not appear as though the buoys were equally distant. Three large triangular buoys marked the turn points. There was also one 60" diameter orange buoy at the midpoint of each leg. Support was positioned on the water to support the swimmers. Medical support was present on the beach. The weather was sunny with a temperature of 55 degrees at the swim start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: