My Angel Foundation
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Said hi to a bunch of folks that I know in the Organ Donation community. It's a memorial run so they had some events and some singing and what not. National Anthem, pee, let's go.
As we are walking to the start line I see Neal (disturbed275) in his first race since Ironman. We chat on the wway to the line and he tells me about how he still isn't all that ready too run, blah, blah, blah. For those of you that don't know, Neal is a sandbagger.
Event warmup:

I stretched during the talking and singing.
Run
  • 30m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I had this idea that I would try the technique of a positive split. I was also starting by Neal, and I knew his fast butt would be taking off quickly, so my thought was to keep him in sight for the first half of the race and then I would be able to run my slower pace and finish better. Yeah. Well, Neal takes off and I keep an eye on him for about the first half mile and that was about it. I did see him right about mile 1.5 (for him) as he passed me going the other way. Poor Mr. Notreadytorun was on a 6:15 pace and I just don't have that ability. Anyway, I ran the first mile in 8, and the second in 10 (roughly) but the third mile I had dead legs and just couldn't run like I wanted to.
It didn't help that there was a strong headwind for about a mile of straightaway that was basically downhill, but i think my issue was strategy. I think I am better for negative splitting, at this point anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Trip Neal? Go out in the first two miles at 9 and finish strong to break 27 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and talked to Neal about his race. Chatted some others up and made plans to go to dinner with the President of our sister foundation and his wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster than who? You know, it's just gonna take time on the road. I have to make a conscious effort to keep the mile up over the winter months, even if I have to (shudder) use a treadmill.

Event comments:

This is just a small little race to remember a young lady that died awaiting and organ transplant. They don't have a big budget and they don't have a bunch of corporate sponors. I like it like that.

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: This course is an uneven out and back (meaning you run farther after the turnaround than you do before it). The first 1/2 mile is uphill over a bridge and then it is downhill and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-10-05 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: Ashlie Duit Memorial 5k Run

2010-10-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3132987

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Ashlie Duit Memorial 5k Run
Beautiful race, beautiful meaning, and frankly sub-10:00 pacing is PDQ.
2010-10-06 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3132987

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Ashlie Duit Memorial 5k Run
Nice run and nice seeing you again.  I'm doing a 10k Saturday.  I'd predict a finish of 45 minutes but I'm afraid you'd call me names again.  Better go with 40
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashlie Duit Memorial 5k Run Rss Feed