Event Power
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 198/392
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/30
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race note: It’s seems I always have a minor injury prior to my races. This time it was my hip. I’ve had a mild case of hip bursitis for about a month and a half. I wasn’t very consistent with my training prior to this race.

It was an early start! The alarm clock went off at 3:45. I had a lot of trouble sleeping the night before too much race excitement for me. I got to the event at 5:30 and made my way through the dark to the transition area. I scoped out the course and transition the day before so I just needed to setup up my transition area. It was pitch black out so before I left my truck I grabbed a flashlight which proved to be very handy. I think I need to add that to the checklist or better yet a headlamp.

Event warmup:

It was cold out and I did my best to warm up. I stretched for about 15 minutes before the race and did a quick swim in the lake before the start.
Swim
  • 22m 29s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I enjoyed the swim! I mentally broke it down into 3 races each one was one leg of the course. I was in the 4th wave (waves were done by age group) and by the end of the swim I had passed people in all 4 of the preceding waves. The wind was blowing hard 20-25 and was right in your face on the way out. The seas were about a 1’ high with white caps. I swam plenty of times in conditions like this so it was nothing new to me. It took a few minutes to adjust my breathing to the wave frequency during that adjustment time I swallowed some water. One nice feature about swimming in fresh water is that you don’t choke on the water when you swallow it and as a side benefit I was well hydrated at the start of the race. My arms were starting to feel it at the end of the 3rd segment but I was close to the end and I didn’t want to use my legs up so I just pushed through.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy overall with the swim. The conditions were tough but they were the same for everyone.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

can you say KICKED ASS - placed 7th overall in T1!

nothing
Bike
  • 39m 16s
  • 10.56 miles
  • 16.14 mile/hr
Comments:

The strong wind was in my face on the way out of transition and then became a cross wind for a good portion of the bike leg. My computer died, I think the magnet got bumped while on the rack so it never read any data and just turned off. Due to the wave start of the race I couldn’t really tell how I was doing on the bike. I pretty much held my own and even passed people on the bike. Usually I’m getting my butt handed to me so I’m always pushing harder so I don’t lose ground. Anyway it was an enjoyable ride.

I should have pushed a little harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

It was a good T2 - I placed 131.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were frozen when I got off the bike. Talk about bricks – my feet were 2 bricks for about a ½ mile. I was doing really well and then about at the 1.5 mile mark my left knee was hurting a little. I stopped running and walked and then I up’d my cadence and shortened my stride and the knee felt fine for the rest of the run. This has happened to me in the past I’m sure this was just lack of conditioning.

I should have probably worn my neoprene knee braces.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a lot of post race stretching. I also drank in a lot of fluids after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I was happy with my race. In hindsight I think I used my hip bursitis as an excuse not to train. Interestingly my hip was never an issue during the race. I think mentally and physically I was done with training. It was a long season for me being my first full tri-season. It was very fulfilling but at times it was mentally and physically exhausting.

I had some mixed reactions to my race results when I shared them with some friends. This race was highly competitive. I actually did better in this race in my age group than the North Fork race in which I placed 20/46. This race I was 14/30. Go figure.

Last updated: 2010-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:29 | 820 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 188/392
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: triangle shape - 3 legs Fresh water swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:16 | 10.56 miles | 16.14 mile/hr
Overall: 211/392
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: loop with a challenging climb
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 278/392
Course: Mostly flat with 1 kilometer rolling section
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-05 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: MightyMan Montauk Sprint

2010-10-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3133798

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk Sprint

Way to finish in the top half of your AG - that is AWESOME.  You really put together a great race from start to finish - I'm so glad to hear that your hip wasn't a factor on race day.  Congratulations on a great first season!  Take a little rest, heal up, and use the winter months to get faster.  The off season is a great time to focus on run endurance and bike speed (if you don't have a trainer, they are a great investment - you can ride in a controlled environment and structure workouts to focus on power, cadence, tempo, and intervals). 

2010-10-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3133798

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk Sprint
Good job on your race and your first full season of triathlon.  It is a mentally and physically exhausting.   Its alway great to challenge the mind & body.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Sprint Rss Feed