General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon Championship - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middleville, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 45s
Overall Rank = 183/249
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/40
Pre-race routine:

Cup o Joe, Grape Nuts, Banana, Cliff Bar and I was on the road at 6:00 for the hour drive.
Event warmup:

I managed to separate the stem from the tube on my rear tire, and it was the generosity of a guy named Steve, who completely changed my back tube and reassembled it for me, to whom I owe this race.
Swim
  • 16m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am very pleased with this performance after it being my weak leg in my first race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

I had trouble getting my socks on. Biking and running without socks grosses me out, but I'll think about it for next time. I also put on bike shorts over my little Speedo.

Buy a tri-suit. No socks?
Bike
  • 51m 25s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This course suited my strength, which is to crank on the big gears. I loved it.

I would push even harder and maybe drink water instead of gatorade endurance, which I consumed along with 1 gel at the beginning and 1 gel near the end of the ride. I experienced a little discomfort after the second gel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

It took a long time to get my shoes on. My foot is injured and I had to be careful to put that shoe, with its extra padding, on correctly.
Run
  • 39m 21s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run at all in two weeks due to my inflamed metatarsal, and I really didn't push it. I went as hard as I could, but the training base wasn't there. Usually, the run is my best leg, and my usual pace would have had me in the top half of the AG, but not today.

Try to be healthy and train better.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching. I rode my bike back to my van and walked back to the finish. I got back into the lake to cool off and wash the sweat off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weak transitions and my foot injury/training interruption hurt my performance today.

Event comments:

This is a well-run event. The volunteer took good care of us, the technical aspects were set up well, and the photography available later was excellent. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a sprint or duathlon next year!

Last updated: 2005-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:05 | 880 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/40
Overall: 0/249
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Due to the water temperature, wetsuits were discouraged by making you ineligible for any reward. Few people wore them, whicm meant fewer people with that advantage over me. The water was warm and fairly clear. After panicking during my first tri, this time I got to the outside edge, away from other swimmers, and followed my mantra, "Keep your head down and keep going." I freestyled all the way without stopping to look around.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:25 | 18 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/40
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was over rolling hills, which allowed you to get momentum going down, which could carry you over the next one by standing and mashing on the big gears. There was only one big hill that required a lot of downshifting. It was just before the turnaround point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:39:21 | 04.5 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/40
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling Hills again, part of the same road as the bike route. There was quite a bit of shade, though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-27 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon Championship

2005-07-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: #208707

User image

Subject: RE: Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon Championship
I am sorry to hear that the injury is sidelining your running.  There will be many more triathlons in the future for you when you heal.  Congratulations on your first season of tris, glad to hear that you enjoyed the training.  You will be back!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon Championship Rss Feed