General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-07 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3134753

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout
if you want to get really technical.. for the powermeter geeks out there,

Road riding consists mainly of quadrant IV, high RPM, low torque(or force on the pedals..low is relative)

MTB riding (on trails) consists mainly of quadrant II, low RPM, high torque

riding on those dirt roads should be just as fine as riding on the road, but you can get away from the traffic and crazy drivers.  A buddy of mine has a powertap on his mountain bike and we did a tow-path ride last spring for a few hours and he averaged 200watts, but we only averaged just over 15 mph.

I ride my mountain bike on the popular paved path frequently.. I can put out a good workout without needing to go >20mph which is actually dangerous on a path like that one because of the high traffic.

2010-10-07 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3137643

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout
Bioteknik - 2010-10-07 5:50 AM

if you want to get really technical.. for the powermeter geeks out there,

Road riding consists mainly of quadrant IV, high RPM, low torque(or force on the pedals..low is relative)

MTB riding (on trails) consists mainly of quadrant II, low RPM, high torque

riding on those dirt roads should be just as fine as riding on the road, but you can get away from the traffic and crazy drivers.  A buddy of mine has a powertap on his mountain bike and we did a tow-path ride last spring for a few hours and he averaged 200watts, but we only averaged just over 15 mph.

I ride my mountain bike on the popular paved path frequently.. I can put out a good workout without needing to go >20mph which is actually dangerous on a path like that one because of the high traffic.

interesting.....

My avg cadence on the MTB is usually around 10 RPM higher. Perceptionally, I would think that would equate to less force on the pedals. However, it's entirely possible I'm actually putting more power to the pedals. Just at a higher cadence. Now I need a PM for my MTB! LOL
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Rss Feed  

of 2