2011-04-13 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3445383

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Galveston Half Iron Man
GMAN 19030 - 2011-04-13 7:30 PM
rhetts - 2011-04-13 9:12 AM 

I felt great about my race as well, finishing in 6:15.  I probably could have done a little better, but started fading on the run, probably due to not drinking enough.  I ran out of fluids twice on the bike, because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to toss my insulated Polar bottles.  I only had two bottle cages and they were taken by my Polar bottles, so when i ran out, I took a water bottle at the aid station, but couldn't hold on to it and pedal efficiently, so i tossed it.  At the next station, I came to my senses and finally tossed the Polar bottle for a gatorade replacement.  By that time, though, it was too late, as I felt the dehydration setting in - I just couldn't get enough to drink and paid for it on the run.

Bike execution is key for long course triathlons.  Ride too hard or mess up your nutrition/hydration and it will manifest itself on the run.

You mentioned that you "only had two bottle cages."  You don't need anymore than that in a supported IM or HIM race.  One bottle for your nutritional needs (a concentrated solution of Infinit, EFS, Accelerade, Perpetuem, whatever you use that will get you through a 56 mile ride) and the other bottle with just water.  Keep the nutritional stuff in the insulated bottle and keep the water in a throw away water bottle.  Swap out the water at the aid stations every 10-12 miles.  For an IM, keep a second bottle of nutrition in your special needs bag or learn to live off the Powerbar Perform or Gatorade Endurance offered on the course.

There's no need for all the ridiculous clutter that people have all over their bikes.  Does one need four bottles of water attached all over their bike to finish a 56 mile ride considering they give you water every 10-12 miles?   Nope.  Those behind the seat bottle launchers should be banned as far as I'm concerned.  Beyond being completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people, they're dangerous. How many water bottles did you see all over the course?  I saw a lot. Most of those were either launched out of the behind the seat setups or dropped as people tried to put the bottles back in there. Run over a bottle going 20 mph and watch what happens.  Watch as people fumble around trying to put their bottle behind their seat.  They weave all over the place and add in the crosswinds we had on Sunday and the potential for disaster rises dramatically.  I wonder how many of the bad accidents had something to do with water bottles -- either dropped bottles or people swerving into someone because they were riding one handed in a 20 mph crosswind while reaching behind their seat.

For training, do what you have to in order to get the ride in.  You have to support yourself on the ride. If that means four water bottles on your bike then so be it.  There's no water hand-up every 10 miles.  A race is a different story.  I run one bottle on the frame and a torpedo setup between my aerobars.  It has gotten me through several long course races without issue.

Sorry for the rant but it's a pet peeve of mine... if you couldn't tell. Smile

Couldn't agree more, that's why I don't have the behind the seat deal on my bike.  I don't want all that clutter.  My issue was a rookie mistake, taking my non throw away bottles with me, and then crying about it when I needed more and didn't want to stop and fill them up.  I finally just tossed one, but it was too late for me, as it was the last aid station and one gatorade was not enough for me to recover.  Lesson learned for me - take the cheap crap or free crap and expect to toss it when necessary during the aid stations.  Thanks for confirming the thoughts and advice that I should have heeded initially, though.  I tend to learn the hard way on everything, so why should this be any different

2011-04-13 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
rhetts - 2011-04-13 9:12 AM 

I felt great about my race as well, finishing in 6:15.  I probably could have done a little better, but started fading on the run, probably due to not drinking enough.  I ran out of fluids twice on the bike, because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to toss my insulated Polar bottles.  I only had two bottle cages and they were taken by my Polar bottles, so when i ran out, I took a water bottle at the aid station, but couldn't hold on to it and pedal efficiently, so i tossed it.  At the next station, I came to my senses and finally tossed the Polar bottle for a gatorade replacement.  By that time, though, it was too late, as I felt the dehydration setting in - I just couldn't get enough to drink and paid for it on the run.

Bike execution is key for long course triathlons.  Ride too hard or mess up your nutrition/hydration and it will manifest itself on the run.

You mentioned that you "only had two bottle cages."  You don't need anymore than that in a supported IM or HIM race.  One bottle for your nutritional needs (a concentrated solution of Infinit, EFS, Accelerade, Perpetuem, whatever you use that will get you through a 56 mile ride) and the other bottle with just water.  Keep the nutritional stuff in the insulated bottle and keep the water in a throw away water bottle.  Swap out the water at the aid stations every 10-12 miles.  For an IM, keep a second bottle of nutrition in your special needs bag or learn to live off the Powerbar Perform or Gatorade Endurance offered on the course.

There's no need for all the ridiculous clutter that people have all over their bikes.  Does one need four bottles of water attached all over their bike to finish a 56 mile ride considering they give you water every 10-12 miles?   Nope.  Those behind the seat bottle launchers should be banned as far as I'm concerned.  Beyond being completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people, they're dangerous. How many water bottles did you see all over the course?  I saw a lot. Most of those were either launched out of the behind the seat setups or dropped as people tried to put the bottles back in there. Run over a bottle going 20 mph and watch what happens.  Watch as people fumble around trying to put their bottle behind their seat.  They weave all over the place and add in the crosswinds we had on Sunday and the potential for disaster rises dramatically.  I wonder how many of the bad accidents had something to do with water bottles -- either dropped bottles or people swerving into someone because they were riding one handed in a 20 mph crosswind while reaching behind their seat.

For training, do what you have to in order to get the ride in.  You have to support yourself on the ride. If that means four water bottles on your bike then so be it.  There's no water hand-up every 10 miles.  A race is a different story.  I run one bottle on the frame and a torpedo setup between my aerobars.  It has gotten me through several long course races without issue.

Sorry for the rant but it's a pet peeve of mine... if you couldn't tell. Smile

X2 on this, except for a Full IM. I also carry only two bottles for a HIM, but will do 4 for a Full. But I guess it really all comes down to sweat rate. I am sure some folks sweat more than others and need hydration on demand vs waiting for the next station on coarse. BTW noticed your in Cypress, same here. Do you do some training out here?
2011-04-14 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3135019

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Why do you need four for an IM if you only need two at a HIM?  It's still the same basic principal of aid stations every 10-15 miles.  Do you really drink a bottle dry every 30 minutes or so?  I can maybe understand not wanting to stop for your SN bag, so you might carry the second nutrition bottle.  I still don't see why anyone would need two bottles w/water on the bike at any given time.  I understand that some people sweat differently than others and the temperature of the day plays a huge factor but drinking 40 oz of water every 30 or 40 minutes sounds excessive.  Do you really need it or do you think you need it?  I think most people would be surprised by the real answer.
2011-04-14 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Does one need four bottles of water attached all over their bike to finish a 56 mile ride considering they give you water every 10-12 miles?   Nope.  Those behind the seat bottle launchers should be banned as far as I'm concerned.  Beyond being completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people, they're dangerous.

I'll bite. I ride an XS frame. I physically cannot fit cages on it and be able to get the bottle out. I lived off my aero bottle in the front - refilling with water at every aid station but ran out between a few so I was grateful to have my speedfill as a backup (that they had to custom weld pieces to get to fit to my tiny frame). I hydrated almost exactly right for my needs. The back cages are for my nutrition, I can't use what they offer on the course. Am I too small and thirsty to tri?
2011-04-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3445907

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
GMAN 19030 - 2011-04-14 7:07 AM

Why do you need four for an IM if you only need two at a HIM?  It's still the same basic principal of aid stations every 10-15 miles.  Do you really drink a bottle dry every 30 minutes or so?  I can maybe understand not wanting to stop for your SN bag, so you might carry the second nutrition bottle.  I still don't see why anyone would need two bottles w/water on the bike at any given time.  I understand that some people sweat differently than others and the temperature of the day plays a huge factor but drinking 40 oz of water every 30 or 40 minutes sounds excessive.  Do you really need it or do you think you need it?  I think most people would be surprised by the real answer.

PS - my aero bottle holds ~24 oz, not sure where you are getting 40 oz / bottle from. Unless you're using the big aero bottle, which again is too big for my bike.
2011-04-14 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Good points Erin.

I'm never doing a full but have read stories where they ran out of hydration on the course and people saying you should be responsible to carry everything you need. There is also the issue of people not being good at hand ups so they bring everything they need with them. What if your system cannot handle that Ironman Gatorade and need some other form of nutrition? I think everyone needs to do what is right for them.

2011-04-14 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX

GMAN 19030 - 2011-04-14 7:07 AM Why do you need four for an IM if you only need two at a HIM?  It's still the same basic principal of aid stations every 10-15 miles.  Do you really drink a bottle dry every 30 minutes or so?  I can maybe understand not wanting to stop for your SN bag, so you might carry the second nutrition bottle.  I still don't see why anyone would need two bottles w/water on the bike at any given time.  I understand that some people sweat differently than others and the temperature of the day plays a huge factor but drinking 40 oz of water every 30 or 40 minutes sounds excessive.  Do you really need it or do you think you need it?  I think most people would be surprised by the real answer.

It's more of a backup really to some extent.  The 2 extra bottles in the back have my nutrition mix in them, also one in the front.  I  only have one bottle out of the four with water, which is the one I change out at aid stations.  I can't handle gatoraide, isopure I believe is the name, and have'nt practiced yet with IM proform. I ran through my nutrition mix bottles though, I guess I use those vs salt tabs and gels.  I get all I need from them.

2011-04-14 11:19 AM

I have had the rocket launchers for about nine years now. I have dropped only one bottle in a race back in 04 at Cap Tex in Austin when I hit a pothole. I spent the rest of the race worried I was going to get dq'd as the RD said they were pretty strict on the trash rule.

I have noticed two things about the rear bottle holders over this time. One is that the bottles pointed at an angle are far more likely to work their way loose than vertical. And the other is that the cheap plastic or metal cages are almost always the ones launching bottles.

I picked up some carbon cages that have rubber retainers in them and they work great even on the roughest roads. They cost me 25.00 a piece and I have yet to lose a bottle in two years.

I am comfortable with the rear cages as it is pretty much all have ever used. To grab a bottle or put on back is as much a reflex as shifting gears or braking. Or for that matter reaching down to my frame. But I do see your point and I have seen plenty of wobbly attempts at handups and folks reaching for bottles on hills and curves where they really should wait until they can do it safely.

On the Sherpa syndrome, I agree with you 100% I carry one bottle of water for my eyes and head and another bottle of whatever I am drinking. I don't use the aerodrink anymore as I don't like it between my hands. Especially in a race like Sunday where there were a lot of hand-ups, this was more than enough. But as other posters have said, to each his own and they should run with what makes them comfortable. We have all seen the runners at 5ks with an eight bottle fuel belt on.

All that being said, I have never seen as much bottle trash on the roads as I saw on Sunday. It literally looked like the day after an outdoor concert in some places. I even saw one poor guy lose an entire X-lab rear cage assembly, probably 150.00 in gear when it just left his bike. One guy coming towards me after the turnaround had his head down and came within about 2 inches of running over a full large bottle that was rolling his way from the opposite lane.

For the sake of safety, please pay attention to your equipment and your gear. If you have ever hit a bottle at any speed, you know how dangerous it can be. And if you haven't raced in a race with hand-ups before, as many haven't, practice on your street with someone. I am surprised there weren't more accidents than there were.

Congratulations to everyone out there Sunday. And best of luck on your next races. And whatever you do, only wear your Camelback on the dirt. But that's a completely different rant.

2011-04-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3446292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

erin116 - 2011-04-14 9:31 AM PS - my aero bottle holds ~24 oz, not sure where you are getting 40 oz / bottle from. Unless you're using the big aero bottle, which again is too big for my bike.

You're misreading my point.  That was for the argument that people "need" an extra bottle of water to get from aid station to aid station.  Two bottles ~ 40 oz.

2011-04-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3446282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

erin116 - 2011-04-14 9:29 AM
GMAN 19030 - 2011-04-13 7:30 PM Does one need four bottles of water attached all over their bike to finish a 56 mile ride considering they give you water every 10-12 miles?   Nope.  Those behind the seat bottle launchers should be banned as far as I'm concerned.  Beyond being completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people, they're dangerous.
I'll bite. I ride an XS frame. I physically cannot fit cages on it and be able to get the bottle out. I lived off my aero bottle in the front - refilling with water at every aid station but ran out between a few so I was grateful to have my speedfill as a backup (that they had to custom weld pieces to get to fit to my tiny frame). I hydrated almost exactly right for my needs. The back cages are for my nutrition, I can't use what they offer on the course. Am I too small and thirsty to tri?

I wrote this in my earlier reply: "Beyond being completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people..."

You obviously don't fit the mold of the majority of people.

2011-04-14 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

A lot of good points, and perspectives, about the bottles. For century rides and very long training rides and the IMFL in November, I will carry 3 bottles which are Infinit-mixed nutrition, and the aero bottle solely for water. With the ride my strongest component of the three, I prefer to minimize my stops. I will carry additional powder mix in a ziploc for additional bottles, or put them in the special needs bag. A lot of folks do a concentrated bottle and others of just water, but I haven't been able to nail down the ratio of concentrate vs water. The mixed-to-drinking-state works really well for me nutrition-wise so I am very hesitant to mess with it.

And I have a LOT of practice putting the bottles back in the seat-back. I only pull one out to switch front-to-back. extra rubber bands will help keep them in place as well.

2011-04-14 11:31 AM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

Well, I'm glad most everyone had a great race, I felt really bad for those who got a flat or crashed. Those were my biggest fears.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first HIM and will probably do "Oil Man" (PLEASE change the stupid name!) formerly Iron Star in November.

I too have a very small frame that won't fit bottles, and I understand the dangers of the bottles, especially in the portion on the course that were really bumpy before and after the bridge. But I really liked being self sufficient on my bike (I have had friends do races where they ran out!) and the bottles had my nutrition in it, and I can't do Gatorade. So, what's one to do?

2011-04-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3446402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
bridgeland - 2011-04-14 10:13 AM

GMAN 19030 - 2011-04-14 7:07 AM Why do you need four for an IM if you only need two at a HIM?  It's still the same basic principal of aid stations every 10-15 miles.  Do you really drink a bottle dry every 30 minutes or so?  I can maybe understand not wanting to stop for your SN bag, so you might carry the second nutrition bottle.  I still don't see why anyone would need two bottles w/water on the bike at any given time.  I understand that some people sweat differently than others and the temperature of the day plays a huge factor but drinking 40 oz of water every 30 or 40 minutes sounds excessive.  Do you really need it or do you think you need it?  I think most people would be surprised by the real answer.

It's more of a backup really to some extent.  The 2 extra bottles in the back have my nutrition mix in them, also one in the front.  I  only have one bottle out of the four with water, which is the one I change out at aid stations.  I can't handle gatoraide, isopure I believe is the name, and have'nt practiced yet with IM proform. I ran through my nutrition mix bottles though, I guess I use those vs salt tabs and gels.  I get all I need from them.

Can you not concentrate your nutrition mix into one bottle?

2011-04-14 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3446615

User image

The Woodlands, TX

Can you not concentrate your nutrition mix into one bottle?

I had Perpetuem in one, and Heed in the other, I used Perpetuem first, then switched to Heed because my stomach needed longer to digest the Perpetuem. Going forward, I do think I will try Infinate, it just seems easier. But I didn't have time to practice that in training.

2011-04-14 11:36 AM

User image

The Woodlands, TX
Let me add.....it still won't fit in my frame though. I'll still have to use the "rocket launcher" so one bottles, or two really won't matter.
2011-04-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3446605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
triplebypat - 2011-04-14 11:30 AM

A lot of good points, and perspectives, about the bottles. For century rides and very long training rides and the IMFL in November, I will carry 3 bottles which are Infinit-mixed nutrition, and the aero bottle solely for water. With the ride my strongest component of the three, I prefer to minimize my stops. I will carry additional powder mix in a ziploc for additional bottles, or put them in the special needs bag. A lot of folks do a concentrated bottle and others of just water, but I haven't been able to nail down the ratio of concentrate vs water. The mixed-to-drinking-state works really well for me nutrition-wise so I am very hesitant to mess with it.

The key to concentrating Infinit is to dial down the flavor slider so that it doesn't taste so strong when super concentrated.

2011-04-14 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3446620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
mom2boys70 - 2011-04-14 11:34 AM

I had Perpetuem in one, and Heed in the other, I used Perpetuem first, then switched to Heed because my stomach needed longer to digest the Perpetuem. Going forward, I do think I will try Infinate, it just seems easier. But I didn't have time to practice that in training.

Smart choice in switching to Infinit.  It's an easy all-in-one (and totally customizable) solution.  The one big problem with the Hammer products is the need to use different products for different things.  It gets too complicated as your case points out -- se this first, than I'll use that.  I'm a big fan of keeping things as simple as possible... the KISS philosophy.

The second problem with Perpetuem is it gets nasty, and does so quickly.  It doesn't have much of a "shelf life" once mixed.  Heed doesn't have the same spoilage issues.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2011-04-14 11:51 AM
2011-04-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3446282

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
I'll bite. I ride an XS frame. I physically cannot fit cages on it and be able to get the bottle out.

Sidebar comment....  folks riding compact frames should check out the side-loading cages.  My wife uses one on her XS Quintana Roo b/c there is no room to load bottles into regular cages.
2011-04-14 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Just got my e-mail notification from ASI....the picture people.

Got some good pics....some look like I'm struggling....others I'm posing.

2011-04-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3446761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

davidb - 2011-04-14 12:35 PM
I'll bite. I ride an XS frame. I physically cannot fit cages on it and be able to get the bottle out.

Sidebar comment....  folks riding compact frames should check out the side-loading cages.  My wife uses one on her XS Quintana Roo b/c there is no room to load bottles into regular cages.

Good point.  I've been thinking about putting a side-loading cage on my torpedo mount.

2011-04-14 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Hold on a second....

I was just reading some of the posts from a few pages back.  There was some lady who wore her wetsuit on the run?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Did she also have it on during the bike?

I'm surprised the officials didn't make her take it off.  That's all kinds of dangerous.  She must have been blazing hot.  How did she not heat stroke her way to the hospital.

I'm sort of speechless.

2011-04-14 4:13 PM

2011-04-14 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I don't know what to say.  Wow!

Toe warmers on her shoes as well?  She did realize it was 80 degrees out, right?

2011-04-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3447409

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Ummm....don't know what that pic is from....but that's not Galveston. unless there was a portion of the course I missed.

2011-04-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3447415

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Maybe it is.....

Nevermind

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Galveston Half Iron Man Rss Feed  

of 12