General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40+ers... how bad is it... really... if you are athletic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-10-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3135436

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: 40+ers... how bad is it... really... if you are athletic?
All great stories! Thanks for sharing!

So it sounds like menopause is when it all falls apart. Ha!

2010-10-11 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Just got back from the Hilly Hundred biking event in central IN.  Around 104mi riding with over 9,000ft of climbing & multiple 15+% grades.  Dozens & dozens of riders were 65+.  Oldest female participant award (repeat winner) was around 75 yrs YOUNG.  She hopped sprightly up on stage in her shorts to accept and danced with the MC.  Had legs that would do a 40yr old proud. 

As Hippocrates noted over 2,300 yrs ago-  Exercise slows aging!!!
2010-10-11 8:06 PM

Are you kidding me!  Look at the overall female finishers in any race they are a majority over 40 plus!  They are fit and know with wisdom how to train properly!
2010-10-11 8:08 PM

As a 53 yo, I can respond that, gradually, the body shifts from a non-voting member to a major player in the training process. Practically speaking, a training run takes a lot longer with mandatory suncreen, a 20 minute warm-up, a 10 minute cool-down, and a ritual ice bath. Of course vanity grooming takes a little longer, too But you remain an athlete and retain all the joys that accompany it- with a new appreciation for how fearfully and wonderfully our bodies are made.
2010-10-11 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Here's a story from my local cycling club: at age 52, cyclist and Iron Man, Terry Lentz won the Furnace Creek 508 in 29 hrs 19 min, an average of 17.38 mph. 35,000 ft of climbing. If you guys know the Central Coast, Terry commutes over the Cuesta Grade, often on a fixed gear bike!
2010-10-12 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
If you asked me this three years ago I may have agreed that once you hit 40 it is all down hill.  I was 205 pounds (5'8") and not in great shape.  I changed my eating habits and work out routine and dropped 50 pounds.  I started doing Triathlons this year as another way to improve my health.  At 46, I finished my third race and was 25th overall and 4th in my age group.  I would have been in the top three in a lot of the younger age groups.   I love passing guys younger than me and telling them to keep up the good work, "you know some words of encouragement from the old guy".

2010-10-15 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
She's exceptional, but she sure is an inspiration: here's 66 y/o Cherie Greunfeld a few days ago on Queen K winning her age group. How many 20-somethings look that good on a bike?

2010-10-20 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
For me turning 40 didn't really have an impact on me, but hitting menopause has been a struggle. Mostly it is that I need to re-learn how to stay fit.

As estrogen and other hormones decrease, that nice smooth muscle decreases, too. I have that stringy look to what muscles I have left (think Madonna these days, not that I look like her, but she's got the stringy muscles), and I have gained weight in places I NEVER did before. So even tho' I am within 10 lbs of what I weighed at 40, it is in different places and different forms (less fat on legs, face, butt and to some extent arms, more fat on tummy and hips, less muscle everywhere).

I'm also finding that endurance training 1) is a lot harder to recover from and 2) doesn't do what it used to as far as muscle gain and fat loss. I am reading the Metabolic Effect book right now, and hoping to incorporate some of their techniques and workouts into my life, with less LONG SLOW DISTANCE training. (which I love most, sniff sniff).

I think for me the key is going to be to get really good core strength, do more strength training in general balanced with my endurance workouts, and change my eating completely. I eat pretty healthily, but I've got to add more protein and veggies, and space meals differently.

And sleep more.

So, it's not really age that has been my nemesis, it's hormones and their effects on my body. I am hopeful that I will find the right balance to feel healthy, fit and ok with my looks in the next year or so. I turn 49 this December!
2010-10-21 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
So menopause is sounding like complete h@ll.

I know I should be thankful to be alive... but dang getting old is like rolling a rock downhill.

And for women it really seems to suck because we have that whole menopause thing!

2010-10-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3164419

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
KSH - 2010-10-21 8:30 AM So menopause is sounding like complete h@ll. I know I should be thankful to be alive... but dang getting old is like rolling a rock downhill. And for women it really seems to suck because we have that whole menopause thing!

Keep in mind that men have to deal with menopausal women...
2010-10-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3135693

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am 43, nearly 44 and I feel that I am actually fitter than I was in my 20's!  I look back and can't believe I didn't take advantage of my university swimming pool ever!  In fact I didn't get back swimming until 3 years ago.  I did a marathon in 2009 and yes I was a bit slower than I was when I did a marathon 11 years earlier.  But really I don't attribute the change to old age:  more to having the necessary time to train.  I have a tougher job plus two kids and a hubby that I didn't have when I was younger.  I have given birth to two wonderful children and I have a bit more tummy & hips but really it was worth it.  I am happy to be exactly the age I am.  40 is the new 25!!

2010-10-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3164603

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
McFuzz - 2010-10-21 9:25 AM

KSH - 2010-10-21 8:30 AM So menopause is sounding like complete h@ll. I know I should be thankful to be alive... but dang getting old is like rolling a rock downhill. And for women it really seems to suck because we have that whole menopause thing!

Not if they get a younger model.

2010-10-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3164935

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
KSH - 2010-10-21 11:08 AM
McFuzz - 2010-10-21 9:25 AM

Not if they get a younger model.

Sometimes it is a professional/friendly relationship, not an intimate relationship. 
2010-12-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3146108

New user

Life is not a dress rehearsal, many would agree! I logged on to this site to find how age and menopause affected women who do triathlon.
Yes I have just begun triathlons and as a tri newbie have completed three since September this year! Each triathlon is a little further in distance.
The hardest part for me was the run. As a young student we were not given races longer than 200m as we were supposed to grow up and have children. Perhaps they thought it would affect our possibilities of childbearing. I must say it worked as I have seven children.
About July this year I made up my mind to do the Tri Pink. I began training for running and gradually increased the distance till I knew I could run three km. without stopping.
Fortunately I had bought a road bike with the proceeds of my mother's will as one of the last things she said was "I am sorry I never had the money to buy you a new bike!"
After a lifetime of tapering I have also done the annual 100km ride for charity from Brisbane to the Gold Coast three years running, on one occasion I did it with two weeks training, so I knew the ride was conquerable!
As a teenager I swam competively but I was not at the elite level.  I knew I could swim but being an asthmatic and having spent years supervising my children, I was VERY out of condition. My kick is virtually non existent. I got back in the pool could barely swim 15 metres.
My family have encouraged me in my pursuit. Some children have achieved highly in athletic/triathlons and instead of me offering them encouragement the tables were turned. My youngest son ,14 said as I left for the ,Tri Pink " Mum promise me one thing, you won't walk!" I promised and I didn't. I was so elated on finishing my last three Triathlons. I challenged myself and I did it. On reflection I paced myself but I completed with some energy in reserve. I intend to keep training and become stronger and fitter.
Yes I have my eleventh grand child on the way! I work full time and have three teenage children and a husband at home. I turned 58 last month but "Why WALK if you can RUN????" I for one, have too much to live for and I have worked hard for it. I intend to prove Hippocrates correct! But one must also consider that it is not only the exercise but the mind that keeps us young! Live life to the fullest and you should have no regrets!
2010-12-13 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm 41 (sigh) and recently got back to semi-serious training and racing after turning forty. I've been running since age 10, and never really quit or burned out--life just kind of got in the way. In my late teens and early 20's, I trained like a maniac and was a speed demon:  2:43 marathon, 1:16 half, 35:00 10K.  Not anymore!

At some points I was running as little as 4-5 miles, maybe twice a week. My guess is that about 15+ years of pretty minimal training (and living in Beijing for a decade)  have had more effect than aging. Endurance, once I built it back up, is no more a struggle than in my twenties.  My main struggle has been improving speed, and getting back to racing, in terms of figuring out pacing and realistic goals.

My speed is not what it was, but I have improved my HM time by 13 minutes from age 36 (when I ran one on a bare minimum of training after almost a decade of recreational jogging), despite rarely running more than 4 days/35 miles a week.  I can do any workout I did in my twenties, it's just going to be slower. It also seems to take me longer to recover--one reason I started tri training.  I think you just listen to your body more, train smarter, and find a balance that works for you. In my recent races, many of the top overall women are in their forties and even a few in their early fifties--I think we do have an advantage with mental strength and experience, esp.at longer distances.

At any rate, I plan to keep running and tri-ing. I want to stay healthy and strong, and be that 80 year old lady jogging along happily in the local 10K.
2010-12-13 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3246324

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
dutchie7 - 2010-12-13 6:56 AM

Life is not a dress rehearsal, many would agree! I logged on to this site to find how age and menopause affected women who do triathlon.
Yes I have just begun triathlons and as a tri newbie have completed three since September this year! Each triathlon is a little further in distance.
The hardest part for me was the run. As a young student we were not given races longer than 200m as we were supposed to grow up and have children. Perhaps they thought it would affect our possibilities of childbearing. I must say it worked as I have seven children.
About July this year I made up my mind to do the Tri Pink. I began training for running and gradually increased the distance till I knew I could run three km. without stopping.
Fortunately I had bought a road bike with the proceeds of my mother's will as one of the last things she said was "I am sorry I never had the money to buy you a new bike!"
After a lifetime of tapering I have also done the annual 100km ride for charity from Brisbane to the Gold Coast three years running, on one occasion I did it with two weeks training, so I knew the ride was conquerable!
As a teenager I swam competively but I was not at the elite level.  I knew I could swim but being an asthmatic and having spent years supervising my children, I was VERY out of condition. My kick is virtually non existent. I got back in the pool could barely swim 15 metres.
My family have encouraged me in my pursuit. Some children have achieved highly in athletic/triathlons and instead of me offering them encouragement the tables were turned. My youngest son ,14 said as I left for the ,Tri Pink " Mum promise me one thing, you won't walk!" I promised and I didn't. I was so elated on finishing my last three Triathlons. I challenged myself and I did it. On reflection I paced myself but I completed with some energy in reserve. I intend to keep training and become stronger and fitter.
Yes I have my eleventh grand child on the way! I work full time and have three teenage children and a husband at home. I turned 58 last month but "Why WALK if you can RUN????" I for one, have too much to live for and I have worked hard for it. I intend to prove Hippocrates correct! But one must also consider that it is not only the exercise but the mind that keeps us young! Live life to the fullest and you should have no regrets!

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

You remind us that if you have the will and desire... it can be done.

2010-12-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3246386

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hot Runner - 2010-12-13 7:46 AM

I'm 41 (sigh) and recently got back to semi-serious training and racing after turning forty. I've been running since age 10, and never really quit or burned out--life just kind of got in the way. In my late teens and early 20's, I trained like a maniac and was a speed demon:  2:43 marathon, 1:16 half, 35:00 10K.  Not anymore!

At some points I was running as little as 4-5 miles, maybe twice a week. My guess is that about 15+ years of pretty minimal training (and living in Beijing for a decade)  have had more effect than aging. Endurance, once I built it back up, is no more a struggle than in my twenties.  My main struggle has been improving speed, and getting back to racing, in terms of figuring out pacing and realistic goals.

My speed is not what it was, but I have improved my HM time by 13 minutes from age 36 (when I ran one on a bare minimum of training after almost a decade of recreational jogging), despite rarely running more than 4 days/35 miles a week.  I can do any workout I did in my twenties, it's just going to be slower. It also seems to take me longer to recover--one reason I started tri training.  I think you just listen to your body more, train smarter, and find a balance that works for you. In my recent races, many of the top overall women are in their forties and even a few in their early fifties--I think we do have an advantage with mental strength and experience, esp.at longer distances.

At any rate, I plan to keep running and tri-ing. I want to stay healthy and strong, and be that 80 year old lady jogging along happily in the local 10K.

Thanks for sharing!

So it just sounds like you need to train these days to bust out those impressive times.

2010-12-13 9:39 AM

Regular
Not sure if anyone mentioned this (thread was a bit too long for me to go through), but Dave Scott took 2nd at Kona at age 40 and 5th at age 42.
2010-12-13 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3246573

Stephen T - 2010-12-13 9:39 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this (thread was a bit too long for me to go through), but Dave Scott took 2nd at Kona at age 40 and 5th at age 42.

Four years ago I did a triathlon where Dave Scott was the guest speaker. He also did the triathlon, an OLY. Inspite of a srong field, he was 2nd out of the water, and 6th overall. Not bad for 52.
2010-12-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3246650

User image

Expert
i wasn't an athlete until I hit 39, so I don't have much reference for how it declines at 40.  I will say two observations though.  One, I'm in better shape right now at 40 than I've ever been in my life.  Two, within two months of turning 40, my eyes went to shite and I now have to wear reading glasses.  bummer.

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2010-12-13 11:25 AM
2010-12-13 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Nothing is guaranteed of course. But you WILL fall apart if you sit on your butt and get fat and eat a terrible diet. That is almost 100% certain.

Getting into terrific shape will make you feel so good that you won't hardly be bothered by the little things that pop up. Whereas if you're a sedentary slob you'll have nothing better to do but whine about all of your health problems.

2010-12-13 2:53 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
KSH - 2010-10-06 9:16 AM So last night I'm having dinner with 3 ladies I use to work with. Respectively they are 42, 43, and 52. They all let me know that once I hit 40, it all does to h@ll and my body will start to fall apart! While I won't disclose my age, I will say that I am in the 36-40 age group. Now mind you, one of the ladies (43 years old) is completely unhealthy. Never works out... and is about 80 pounds overweight. The other lady (42 years old) is a healthy thin, and maybe works out 3 days a week and doesn't do anything too strenuous as far as a workout. The 52 year old is the healiest of the three. She runs 4 miles every other day, has done a half marathon recently, swims, etc. But even she commented that things that didn't make you sore before (aka: walking a 12 pound dog pulling a leash), will make you sore for weeks. I will say that all 3 said that once you hit 40 you get a tummy pooch that will NOT go away no matter what you do. It got me thinking... and worried! I'm getting closer to 40 and I fear it all falling to pieces! But then I look at the 40-45 age group of women at tri's, and they are the fastest age group! So are the men! Gosh, men seem to keep getting faster till they are 50! Then I became hopeful... that my active lifestyle and training for tri's will keep that all from happening. But will it? So to the 40+ers... will it all fall apart and become a lot harder to exercise and recover when I am 40+? Or will it stay about the same with some minor issues because I am already very active and healthy? Hhhuuuummmmm.....

Just keep splashing that plaid bikini picture around BT and dont worry about your age.
2010-12-13 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ha--I have always had to train hard to run ANY decent times!  In my early twenties I consistently ran 65-90 miles per week with 2-3 speed workouts to do those times. I just can't go there now between job, location, and body. Luckily I've never had serious running injuries, but since age 30 or so, I do tend to get nagging bouts of tendinitis if I run every day, do too much speedwork, or go beyond 40-45 a week. I accept that I probably won't see my youthful PR's again, but I still want to improve within the parameters of staying healthy. So tri training works better for me.  I train 6 days a week, doubles most weekends--the other workouts are swim or bike. I'm a low-tech person and I log in a notebook, not on BT. 
2010-12-13 10:49 PM

User image

Melon Presser
The Bali Tri Club is hosting a workshop on this very topic (really for 30+) by a guy who looks like he knows what he's doing! He's a professor of sports science in Australia, AG Ironman champ and AG 7th at Kona. Not shabby!

Feel free to check him out, and I'll report back on the results. I thought there was some interesting and salient information on the site ...

http://www.mastersathlete.com.au/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40+ers... how bad is it... really... if you are athletic? Rss Feed  

of 5