United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 29s
Overall Rank = 924/1500
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 34/
Pre-race routine:

weird this time...up at 5 adn rolling to the race site from the RV campsite. Pam made coffee, I ate my usual banana and bagel.
Event warmup:

Walked about a mile to the race site from where we parked the RV. Brought gel and gateraide as my start was so late. Awesome to be racing with 7 other teammembers!
Swim
  • 33m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

I THOUGHT I was doing well on this swim...got pushed off course in the first few hundred meters by the current, and found my rythm rather quickly against the current. Passed a few folks in my ag, passed a few guys from the wave before, but the time pretty much sucked. Coach was getting a bit concerned that it took me so long to get out of the water...:(
What would you do differently?:

just swim harder! It's an oly and I should have been swimming high tempo, but I sort of get into my "groove" and stay there, which will serve me well in IMFL, but wasn't too useful here. :) Next year, look out...!
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Coach told me to go anarobic on the transition and recover on the bike. I tried to do this and it seemed to work. Long t1 run into and out of transition.

Didn't get in the shoes very well, but I think that time was included in the bike split.

Not much. Didn't really have to think so I didn't have the chance to screw up! :) Run faster I guess!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough course. The officials were buzzing around on motorcycles and it was challenging to stay out of the draft zone with so many people on the course. I hit a max speed of 28.1 on a long downhill! Really glad I didn't scrub speed there! I seriously need to work on the climbing skills for 2011...my year of hills/mountains!

Needed to push harder throughout. Olympic races hurt, and I didn't push as hard as I could have. My brain kept telling me we had to run up those b*tch hills in the heat. And I listened. :(
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Meh transition. Took longer getting shoes and socks on than I would have liked.

keep working on the socks/shoes thing! :)
Run
  • 1h 00m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy Hotness Batman! FOCK! That was terrible! Not a great hill runner, not a great heat runner. Totally screwed! :) I walked the aid stations, and dumped water each one, walked on the super steep hill for a tad, and just kept moving. I knew at this point my race was pretty crappy, so I decided to save some for next Saturday. It took everything I had to not run to the RV and just crap out the 2 times I passed it. Knowing Tony had the keys was pretty much the only reason I didn't!

considering the super strong field, and my longer distance training this year, not much. It was sooooo hot, and I've got bigger fish to fry yet this season. Ithink backing off a tad was the right choice today.
Post race
Warm down:

got fluids, my race times and some chow. My whole posse was waiting for me (Tony squirted water...hot unfortunatly, from his bottle on me as I was running to the shoot! LOL) and it was great to have them all there to cheer me in!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat, training for IMFL which is flat, and my long distance prep this year.

Event comments:

What a GREAT experience! I got my butt handed to me by some amazing women in my AG today! It was soooo cool to be racing with many of the top AG athletes in the country! The vibe was amazing, the course a big challenge and racing with my teammates is always a blast! I'm so glad to have had this experience, even if it was my slowest oly race ever! :) Hopefully next year in Vermont, I'll fair a little better! :)

Last updated: 2010-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/
Overall: 0/1500
Performance: Average
Suit: racesuit
Course: rectangle course,with the current to the turn, then against the current for bulk of the course. Non wetsuit swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:04 | 24.85 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/
Performance: Good
avg hr 151 avg watts 162
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course with some large long climbs!!! Challenging for sure! I was very conservative riding the downhills in the preride yesterday, but I went for it today!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:19 | 06.21 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/
Performance: Below average
avg hr 162
Course: Lots of short steep climbs on the first half of run, some shade, one steep decent on the second half of course. HOTTTTTTT!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes