Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » WELCOME to the SE Asia BT forum! Introduce yourself! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-12-09 2:36 AM
in reply to: #3135667

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Subject: RE: WELCOME to the SE Asia BT forum! Introduce yourself!
This is the site with the most useful listings I have found so far.

http://www.taipeimarathon.org.tw/contest.aspx?lang=en-US

I'm currently in the process of signing up for my first event.  Doing the North Face Duathlon on 1/16/2011.  It's a strange event distance wise (21km bike, 5km trail run, 9km road run) and yes, from what I understand the runs are back to back.

I'm not at all worried about the bike, but that run is gonna kill me.  I'm signing up for the race with a friend.

2010-12-09 2:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Haha, Mynga, I just noticed that I posted the exact same link as you.    The event I'm signing up for now is listed there.
2010-12-22 2:50 AM

User image

Hi, I'm Arek based in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Started training at the beginning of 2010, did one OLY race so far, but plan to train hard and race few times in 2011.  
Best for everyone.
Arek 
2010-12-22 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3257105

User image

Melon Presser
schapopa - 2010-12-22 3:50 PM Hi, I'm Arek based in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Started training at the beginning of 2010, did one OLY race so far, but plan to train hard and race few times in 2011.  
Best for everyone.
Arek 

hi Arek! welcome to the SEA forum ... and to BT too!

you might also want to be part of one of the mentor groups starting out now--they're great support and advice in your first few years of triathlon.

what races are you thinking of doing?
2010-12-22 12:08 PM

User image

I saw mentor groups starting, sure want to be part of it. 
This year I plan local race near Chiang Rai - north of Thailand as part of my training; Chang Sean.  
Later, Bintan, Vietnam, Hua Hin and Phuket Laguna.
I would like to do at the end of the year some half ironman, but not sure about timing. I was looking at Taiwan race, but there is also Phuket HIM, still reading if its possible to do one after another. Laguna and HIM are one week apart.
We will see
Are you joining any group as a mentor?
Cheers
Arek

2010-12-22 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3257652

User image

Melon Presser
schapopa - 2010-12-23 1:08 AM I saw mentor groups starting, sure want to be part of it. 
This year I plan local race near Chiang Rai - north of Thailand as part of my training; Chang Sean.  
I would like to do at the end of the year some half ironman, but not sure about timing. I was looking at Taiwan race, but there is also Phuket HIM, still reading if its possible to do one after another. Laguna and HIM are one week apart.
We will see
Cheers
Arek

if you train well for it, it's possible to do 70.3 after phuket. bintan is a great race.

yep, here's the link to my group--feel free of course to also browse the others and see if they spark your interest

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=236855&posts=1&start=1

2010-12-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3257652

User image

Veteran
New York
schapopa - 2010-12-23 2:08 AM I saw mentor groups starting, sure want to be part of it. 
We will see
Cheers
Arek

Hey Arek.
Welcome to BT.

Looks like you have some great races lined up next year! Maybe I'll run into you @ Bintan. 

Cheers
Tuffli
2010-12-22 9:23 PM

User image

Great, looks like your group is almost full.  
Tuffi, what other races are you planning for this year? 
2010-12-22 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3258494

User image

Veteran
New York
schapopa - 2010-12-23 11:23 AM Great, looks like your group is almost full.  
Tuffi, what other races are you planning for this year? 

As of now: Singapore HIM, Bintan, SG Oly, NYC Tri, & Phuket 70.3. Also a mix bag of sprints, duathlons, aquathlons, & road races, but all local races.

It all depends on where I'll be next year.  I'm likely repatriating to NY sometime next year. 

I hope you find a suitable mentor group. They've helped me out a lot.  Yanti is also a great mentor!!
2011-01-09 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
Hi yall!  It was just made official in my company that I will be moving from Dallas Texas area over to Singapore.  I will be there for about 3 years.  I have heard good things about the racing community over in Singapore and look forward to meeting some of you.

My background:  I come from the fast twitch world of soccer and racquetball.  I do have a swim background from 4 years in high school.  I started training for triathlons at the end of 2009.  I was in the last few months of rehab for a torn ACL (second time).  During the rehab I was only able to swim, bike, and run on smooth surfaces.  I had a buddy that did Kona that year and that inspired me.  Fast forward one year later and I have completed 2 sprints, 2 olys, and a half-marathon.  I had my year all planned out with 1 sprint, 4 olys, a half marathon, and a full marathon but now I have to start planning again as I will be in Singapore at the beginning of April. 

One question - it looks like most of you race in many different countries.  Is it a pain to fly your bike everywhere or do you use a bike locally? 

Thanks and look forward to racing some of you!
2011-01-09 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3288344

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
antman - 2011-01-10 5:16 AM Hi yall!  It was just made official in my company that I will be moving from Dallas Texas area over to Singapore.  I will be there for about 3 years.  I have heard good things about the racing community over in Singapore and look forward to meeting some of you.

My background:  I come from the fast twitch world of soccer and racquetball.  I do have a swim background from 4 years in high school.  I started training for triathlons at the end of 2009.  I was in the last few months of rehab for a torn ACL (second time).  During the rehab I was only able to swim, bike, and run on smooth surfaces.  I had a buddy that did Kona that year and that inspired me.  Fast forward one year later and I have completed 2 sprints, 2 olys, and a half-marathon.  I had my year all planned out with 1 sprint, 4 olys, a half marathon, and a full marathon but now I have to start planning again as I will be in Singapore at the beginning of April. 

One question - it looks like most of you race in many different countries.  Is it a pain to fly your bike everywhere or do you use a bike locally? 

Flying with my bike has been easier since moving over here.  I've only traveled a few times but have never had a problem.  Best yet.....I've never been charged a single penny even when I flew to the tiny island of Goto, Nagasaki.

2011-01-09 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3288344

User image

Melon Presser
antman - 2011-01-10 4:16 AM Hi yall!  It was just made official in my company that I will be moving from Dallas Texas area over to Singapore.  I will be there for about 3 years.  I have heard good things about the racing community over in Singapore and look forward to meeting some of you.

Howdy Anthony! I know a bunch of great tri peeps in Singapore and I can hook you up. Plus of course Tuffli is still there for a while

There's actually a lot of well-run races in Singapore. However, there's also a lot of cheap flights to breathtaking destination triathlons and other races nearby

I've towed bikes around everywhere--easy peasy over here. Get a decent hardcover bike case to bring over; you can get such great deals in the U.S. I got a fantastic basic Thule case for about $100.

Looks like a lot of us are doing Bintan Triathlon in May ... it's in Indonesia but just a ferry ride from Singapore. It's a lovely, well-run affair, not a killer course, and I think it'd be a great one to cut your teeth on here. Plus, if you don't get as much training done as you like, there's a sprint option as well.
2011-01-12 12:48 AM
in reply to: #3288535

User image

Veteran
New York
TriAya - 2011-01-10 7:01 AM
antman - 2011-01-10 4:16 AM Hi yall!  It was just made official in my company that I will be moving from Dallas Texas area over to Singapore.  I will be there for about 3 years.  I have heard good things about the racing community over in Singapore and look forward to meeting some of you.

Howdy Anthony! I know a bunch of great tri peeps in Singapore and I can hook you up. Plus of course Tuffli is still there for a while

There's actually a lot of well-run races in Singapore. However, there's also a lot of cheap flights to breathtaking destination triathlons and other races nearby

I've towed bikes around everywhere--easy peasy over here. Get a decent hardcover bike case to bring over; you can get such great deals in the U.S. I got a fantastic basic Thule case for about $100.

Looks like a lot of us are doing Bintan Triathlon in May ... it's in Indonesia but just a ferry ride from Singapore. It's a lovely, well-run affair, not a killer course, and I think it'd be a great one to cut your teeth on here. Plus, if you don't get as much training done as you like, there's a sprint option as well.

Welcome Anthony!  

Singapore is a great place to train & race.  There are several tri groups out here, if that's your thing. Otherwise, many ppl train in smaller groups.  I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

I may just miss you if you're coming here in April.  I just got word that I will probably be moving back to NYC around the same time.  

Bintan Tri is a must do. Especially from SIN. It's only a 50 min ferry ride away and transporting your bike is cheap & a piece of cake.

Good luck on your transition.

Don't hesitate to ping me if you have any questions.   
2011-01-20 3:25 AM

User image

Veteran
NAF Atsugi Japan,Medford OR.

Greetings!  I'm currently stationed and living in Atsugi near Tokyo.......I have finished a couple marathons and just started training for IMAZ. 

-cheers

2011-01-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3310353

User image

Melon Presser
thecatch83 - 2011-01-20 4:25 PM

Greetings!  I'm currently stationed and living in Atsugi near Tokyo.......I have finished a couple marathons and just started training for IMAZ. 

-cheers

Howdy howdy Catch. Got any Asian races on your calendar leading up to IMAZ?

How long will you be in Japan for, do you think?
2011-01-20 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3310353

User image

Veteran
New York
thecatch83 - 2011-01-20 5:25 PM

-cheers

Welcome to the EAST!

Best of luck on IMAZ. how is like training near Tokyo?  I was there last year on vacation and it didn't seem very conducive to triathlon training (at least for biking)..

2011-03-11 11:42 PM

User image

Hi All, my name is Justin Daley. I live in Chongho, Taipei County in Taiwan. This will be my second year of doing triathlons. Did three sprints here in Taiwan. Hope to do those three again this year and would love to be able to complete the Ironman Taiwan70.3 on November 5th this year. Anyone in Taipei area?

Doing triathlons for weighloss, health and fun. I am 51 years old married with two teenagers. Originally from South Africa, been in Taiwan for 20 years.

2011-04-05 8:30 AM

New user

Singapore

Hi all, Timothy from Singapore here. Intending to sign up for this year's Tri-Factor events, swim, bike, run and triathlon in (May-Aug). Trying to find info about training, equipment and tips/advice.

_______
tmot

2011-04-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3430223

User image

Veteran
New York
tmot - 2011-04-05 10:30 PM

Hi all, Timothy from Singapore here. Intending to sign up for this year's Tri-Factor events, swim, bike, run and triathlon in (May-Aug). Trying to find info about training, equipment and tips/advice.

_______
tmot

Hey Timothy,

Welcome!!

PM me with any questions you may have.  I'm happy to help.  I did the Tri-Factor series the last two years and was very pleased with the series.  It's well run and a great way to work on each discipline.  

2011-04-20 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore

Hey y'all.  I have now been in Singapore for a little over 2 weeks.  We made the move from Texas and have been getting settled in.  So far the training has been going well.  Running is going better than expected.  My HR has settled back in and my pace is only slightly slower due to the heat and humidity.  My bike is still a month out on my ocean shipment.  But the huge improvement is the 50M swimming pool I can use anytime of day.  It is about 4 times longer than the one i used in Texas. 

Where do people get together for training rides?  Once my bike gets here I want to get my mileage up but with the crazy traffic, it appears the safest way to ride is in large groups.  I saw a store called Bikehaus that looked like it had Tri stuff.  Any other good Tri stores?

Looking forward to meeting and competing against all of you.  I run through West Coast Park on Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat around 6-7am.  If you are out there around then give me a shout.  Let me know if you have a group that trains together. 

Thanks!

2011-04-24 1:23 AM
in reply to: #3456129

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to SE Asia!  I actually live and train most of the year in Vietnam, so can't help much with the Singapore training questions, but I do know there's a very active tri and running scene there. (I come to race when the lack of events here drives me crazy, and have actually considered coming to train for the weekend!)  TriBob puts on a lot of events and training programs, and there are no doubt many more formal and informal groups.  East Coast Park is my idea of training paradise, with designated bike and run trails and lots of ocean beaches for OWS or post-run splashdown. (Here I fight daily battles with motorbikes, construction, and feral dogs....)

If in need of bike or tri stuff, you might check out the responses to my earlier thread about "bike shops in Singapore" from the fall. Bikehaus is okay but kind of small and cluttered; prices seemed high compared to the US. I'd recommend Motion Sports for clothes and accessories; helpful owner, but again, it's small and the selection is limited. 

BTW: Are you or any other BTers doing the Singapore Sprint next week? I got talked into it by friends. Four of us from "Team Saigon" will be there. I'm medium-sized, dark-haired and skinny, so not very identifiable in races--I do have a new TYR trisuit that is black in front, white in back, with flourescent flowers on the side, so maybe that's easier. Hope to see some of you there. I'll try to ride on the right......uh-oh.....left side of the road!

Karen

2011-05-12 1:54 AM
in reply to: #3462928

Singapore

Andrew from Australia. Have been living in Taiwan for 6 years and moved to Singapore in January this year. Was dragged back into triathlons over a drunken beer with a friend but have caught the bug again now.

Did a sprint and an olympic the the last quarter of 2010 and have done one sprint since I've been here in Singapore. Have got Bintan next week and have a group of friends coming from Taiwan and Australia to do it. Looking to build to a half ironman next year, probably Aviva in Singapore.

2011-05-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3494923

User image

Melon Presser
robbo_27 - 2011-05-12 3:54 PM

Andrew from Australia. Have been living in Taiwan for 6 years and moved to Singapore in January this year. Was dragged back into triathlons over a drunken beer with a friend but have caught the bug again now.

Did a sprint and an olympic the the last quarter of 2010 and have done one sprint since I've been here in Singapore. Have got Bintan next week and have a group of friends coming from Taiwan and Australia to do it. Looking to build to a half ironman next year, probably Aviva in Singapore.

G'day Andrew welcome to BT and the SEA forum!!! Good luck in Bintan, seems like half the people I know are doing it ... was training for it but have been derailed by a series of very nasty troppo viruses here.

Which sprint did you do in S'pore?

2011-05-17 3:41 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Welcome Justin and Anthony as well!
2011-05-24 2:33 AM
in reply to: #3504648

Singapore
TriAya - 2011-05-17 3:39 PM
robbo_27 - 2011-05-12 3:54 PM

G'day Andrew welcome to BT and the SEA forum!!! Good luck in Bintan, seems like half the people I know are doing it ... was training for it but have been derailed by a series of very nasty troppo viruses here.

Which sprint did you do in S'pore?

Did the tribob up at Changi which was fun. Just back from Bintan which I had a great time at. Ran like a busted unfortunately but the bike and swim were good by my standards. My brother and two friends went across with myself, my wife and our three kids so had plenty of support and encouragement Overall time was 2:48, got off the bike in 1:50 and was planning a sub 2:40 but couldn't get rid of the stitches. It was quite amusing how my goal kept stretching across the run lol. Did the first 5 in 27 and was going to negative split (been reading too many blogs) but ended up doing 31 for the last five which was definitely not in the plan!

Still good weekend, well organised once we got there. Hotrunner can tell you about the probs with the travel agent but at least once we were on the island things were smooth. Have to go back again because we won a free nights accomodation for the horendous budgie smugglers which we did the race in.

New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » WELCOME to the SE Asia BT forum! Introduce yourself! Rss Feed  

of 4