General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike case rental Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-06 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: Bike case rental

Hi All,

I need to find a hard bike case to use for about 2 weeks in November (around the 7th-20th). I am prepared to rent one from a local bike shop but the thing is that I also need to have someone pack it for me as I have never done it before.  From what I have found out, the rental rate for a case is about $75.00 a week.  I am wondering if at that rate it would be better for me to purchase a case so at least I have something for the money?  Then I could pay a shop or someone to pack it for me. (I would eventually learn how to do it myself of course). 
Does anyone have a recomendation for a decent case or know someone who is looking to sell theirs?  I don't need a fancy one, just one that will do it's job.   I am planning to ship it Fedex  so if anyone has any tips regarding that, I would love to hear them as well.
Thanks so much,
Kathleen

2010-10-07 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3137578

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike case rental
A few thoughts - you can pick up a hard side case at Performance for around $200 (on sale) so you might consider that if you're going to use it a lot.  I have the plain Performance brand one & it's been great for me for years.

Next, if you're shipping via fedex, I'd strongly consider a cardboard bike box.  The hard side cases are very heavy & shipping gets $$$.  I've shipped in cardboard plenty of times and never had any issues.

As far as taking apart to pack, you could pay a bike shop to do it for you but imho, bike shops overcharge for this sort of thing, any chance you could possibly ask a friend or something?  

2010-10-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3137578

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
If you decide to purchase at Performance, I have a 10% off coupon in case you're not on their mailing list already.
2010-10-07 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3138227

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
ersmith29 - 2010-10-07 9:40 AM A few thoughts - you can pick up a hard side case at Performance for around $200 (on sale) so you might consider that if you're going to use it a lot.  I have the plain Performance brand one & it's been great for me for years.

Next, if you're shipping via fedex, I'd strongly consider a cardboard bike box.  The hard side cases are very heavy & shipping gets $$$.  I've shipped in cardboard plenty of times and never had any issues.

As far as taking apart to pack, you could pay a bike shop to do it for you but imho, bike shops overcharge for this sort of thing, any chance you could possibly ask a friend or something?  

Thanks for your thoughts!  Regarding a cardboard box, wouldn't it be much more likely that the bike could get damaged?  Also, don't you have to take the whole thing apart to put it in a cardboard box? (maybe I am thinking of when the bike stores get the bikes before they build them). I know what you mean about the weight and costs. Something to think about for sure.

I have a tri bike and am wondering if I need a certain type (size) of case to accomodate the aero bars?  Can I pack my helmet in the case also? (just one less thing to take on the plane).

I have a friend who might be able to help me pack it.

Thanks again for your response.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike case rental Rss Feed