BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-12-22 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3258391

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
kt65 - 2010-12-22 9:09 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-22 5:59 PM
kt65 - 2010-12-22 7:14 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-22 4:56 PM given the description i'd rule out a few things before i declare the unit is faulty. 

did you reset the sensor and if so are you able to see the green and red lights?  the spoke issue is common.  the magnet on the spoke will work facing either direction, at the sensor arm or away from it. 

post a pic of the sensor arm with the spoke magnet in the frame. 

i'm curious about what ya'll think about using a trainer for heart rate bench marks. 

Mine was doing the same thing, Kyla, but we changed the battery and voila.  I am not sure how it was picking up the cadence and not the speed, but it was!  And when it was picking up cadence only, the green light was going on, so that threw me off a little bit....but I figured it was only 3 bucks or whatever for the 2032 battery. 

John, all of my HR bench marks are from tests we do on the trainer...and I use the same zones for indoors or outdoor rides.  I think they are pretty comparable unless it is super cold or rainy outside.  (in my experience).

Edited to add that I don't really ride outdoors much if it is super cold or rainy outside!  I am not hardcore like Kyla.

I definitely have not had the same experience.  The TT I did inside on a CT on a course that Steve selected produced 16W greater than I could produce in my outdoor TT on a moderately hilly course.  I used to think it was the difference between the CT and PT, but I don't any longer.  I use both indoors and they are spot on when calibrated correctly.  I believe a change in terrain is the cause.  I cannot maintain my Watts on the downhill and it crushes the averages.

I would be curious if RP has any thoughts??

Hmm, since John asked about HR, I was not addressing watts, which I also find to be different.  But heartrate is pretty comparable, in my experience...Does that even make sense???  That is why I do continue to monitor HR and not just watts when we do indoors or outdoors.  151-158 (zone 4 heartrate) feels the same to me on the trainer or outside whether on flats or hills (really freaking hard!)...but I agree, John, it is much harder for me to maintain that on the trainer vs. outside...  I think it is because anything at a perfectly steady effort is different than when you have little changes in terrain, here and there.

btw, my dad got released from the hospital today!  Thanks everyone for your positive vibes, I am sure that they do make a difference.  Christmas at home will be much better than at the hospital. 

woooooooooottttttttttttt  for dad!!!!!!!!!!!  AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

that wasn't me that asked about hr. slacker did.   i just stirred it up. 

2010-12-22 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3258406

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-22 9:18 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-22 9:16 PM
dalessit - 2010-12-22 9:07 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-22 8:20 PM
kt65 - 2010-12-22 8:14 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-22 4:56 PM given the description i'd rule out a few things before i declare the unit is faulty. 

did you reset the sensor and if so are you able to see the green and red lights?  the spoke issue is common.  the magnet on the spoke will work facing either direction, at the sensor arm or away from it. 

post a pic of the sensor arm with the spoke magnet in the frame. 

i'm curious about what ya'll think about using a trainer for heart rate bench marks. 

Mine was doing the same thing, Kyla, but we changed the battery and voila.  I am not sure how it was picking up the cadence and not the speed, but it was!  And when it was picking up cadence only, the green light was going on, so that threw me off a little bit....but I figured it was only 3 bucks or whatever for the 2032 battery. 

John, all of my HR bench marks are from tests we do on the trainer...and I use the same zones for indoors or outdoor rides.  I think they are pretty comparable unless it is super cold or rainy outside.  (in my experience).

Edited to add that I don't really ride outdoors much if it is super cold or rainy outside!  I am not hardcore like Kyla.

that's what is was wondering. i don't know how you, kyla, etc..  do it. my hr's are different outdoor v trainer.  maybe that's my bike problem, among others. ha!   i get "up to speed: hr wise so much faster and am able to maintain it much easier outside.  this is of course when i actually monitor it,  which isn't always.

There is no rest on the trainer, you are constantly pedaling pretty much at the same cadence and with the exact same pressure with no breeze other than possibly a fan to cool you off..  When you're out on the road you coast, stop, speed up, slow down, change cadence, stand up, constant breeze from you moving forward, etc.

Very different factors in each.

Pretty hard to compare a trainer ride vs an outdoor ride even if your outdoor ride is pancake flat.

uh-oh.  you peleton guys are amazing.  that is not true for me.   and some workouts, including when i had a coach, did not adhere to this. 

LOL, I meant that even when you lessen tension on a regular trainer it doesn't coast very well so you should be pedaling the whole time.  When you're outside if you have a computer on your bike it's amazing to see how much non-pedaling you end up doing.

A LOT!  hahaha.                                       i shouldn't be laughing, should i.
2010-12-22 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3257123

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-12-22 4:03 AM Tis the season to be Merry-ho,ho,ho, but racing can still be an option.  Who's up for one this weekend???

And if you're not, take a look at your volume from '10 and give us one positive about it!!!!

HO HO HO!!  As a LAST MINUTE thing, I'm racing with my friend at a 5 miler Polar Bear Run in Asbury Park NJ on 26th. There's several options (walk 10 miles, run 5 miles, walk 5 miles, and I think walk 1 mile as well). THEN there's an optional ocean dipping in NEW JERSEY! Brrrrrrrrr! :-)    This is just a FUN race and will be treated as such. I haven't trained at all for it, but I believe my endurance is NOT shot yet, so I don't care how I do. It was 20 bucks and most go to charity. So who cares right?? :-)

My volume in 2010 COULD be slightly better. I was hoping to do better with the biking, but I definitely did better than my first year (840 and some change miles in 2009 - first year of riding my bike).   Since I have nothing else to compare it to....I think I did a pretty good job for a first year triathlete! :-)

BTW - I'm SO SO SO looking forward in trying my new bike bling....NEW AERODYNAMIC WHEELS! Whooooooo HOOT! (can't you tell? I'm super excited!).   My mom was trying to figure out how to make it a surprise for me because she couldn't have them shipped to NJ otherwise, how would I get it back to Vegas? I told her that she should have had it shipped to Vegas while I was in NJ, THEN give me a card with a picture of the wheels in it...."Genius." she says.  So I got my "early" x-mas gift.   P0rn later, I promise!!! (gotta put them on Roulette, who is sitting sadly in Vegas, first!!)

I miss my animals soooo much (they all are being boarded for 10 days, while I'm in NJ with Roy). :-(  Nothing is better than having your doggie be so excited to see you home even if you've been gone for 10 minutes. My dog acts like she hasn't seen me in weeks when I'm gone just for 10 minutes.  The cats don't give a hoot's a$$.  Two of my mom's cats are extremely shy. It feels weird not having the craziness of having 6 animals. Oh yeah, I adopted two new cats just two weeks ago because the owner was afraid that the 1 year old cats (they are sisters...and to stick with Las Vegas names - they're Penny and Telly, after Penn and Teller), will smell the milk on the newborn baby's mouth. So they gave them up. WTH?! So I took them in with the fact that they're FIV/FeLV negative. 

Roy surprised me with Dog DNA test for my dog. I know it's not 100% reliable, but it's pretty good. We are boggled at what breed my dog is. She looks like a mini Border Collie/Papallion/Pomarian mix.   If the tests comes out to be a Pitbull mix...something is seriously wrong. LOL!

Be sure to share your Christmas GOODIES!!! :-)

Hugs to EVERYONE!! 

2010-12-23 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3258310

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kkcbelle - 2010-12-22 6:22 PM OK, so now I am guessing that perhaps my unit is faulty/broken (that's what he said). Lucky me, it's only about 8 months old (so under year-long warranty). I'm gonna contact Garmin tomorrow and see what they say. From what I've found on other forums, they are likely to say that if cadence works then speed works too... but that in reality that isn't necessarily the case!!!

Not sure which Garmin you have, but the speed/cadence that I got to go with my 305 has a little screw at the back end of the speed sensor that when loosened, allows the sensor arm to rotate left and right.  Pic attached.  I think the secret is to get the candence working by being close enough to the pedal and then adjust the speed arm toward the spokes witht the set screw to get within the specified distance.  This solved the problem for me when I was getting cadence or speed, but not both...

ETA - maybe you already did this, if so, sorry for redundancy...

Edited by ashort33 2010-12-23 8:37 AM

(garmin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
garmin.jpg (4KB - 41 downloads)
2010-12-23 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3258874

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DJ and Andy, make sure you come over to the new thread in the new mentor group section.
2010-12-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3258502

User image

Master
Maryland
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-22 10:32 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-22 4:03 AM Tis the season to be Merry-ho,ho,ho, but racing can still be an option.  Who's up for one this weekend???

And if you're not, take a look at your volume from '10 and give us one positive about it!!!!

Wow, 2010 was decent...rode the bike over 2,000 miles and ran over 4,300 miles! Holy cow, no wonder I need a break!  Ran my first year as a marathoner and completed 4 marathons in 2010 including the Boston Marathon and 2 at the end of 2009. Six marathons in 13 months of my first attempt at the distance.  Swam over 40,000 yards and did 109 hours of strength training. Twas a good year. Thank you MG for all of you fun and support. Happy New Year to all of you and see you on the new thread!

2010-12-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3258874

User image

Master
ashort33 - 2010-12-23 6:36 AM

kkcbelle - 2010-12-22 6:22 PM OK, so now I am guessing that perhaps my unit is faulty/broken (that's what he said). Lucky me, it's only about 8 months old (so under year-long warranty). I'm gonna contact Garmin tomorrow and see what they say. From what I've found on other forums, they are likely to say that if cadence works then speed works too... but that in reality that isn't necessarily the case!!!

Not sure which Garmin you have, but the speed/cadence that I got to go with my 305 has a little screw at the back end of the speed sensor that when loosened, allows the sensor arm to rotate left and right.  Pic attached.  I think the secret is to get the candence working by being close enough to the pedal and then adjust the speed arm toward the spokes witht the set screw to get within the specified distance.  This solved the problem for me when I was getting cadence or speed, but not both...

ETA - maybe you already did this, if so, sorry for redundancy...

Yes -- that is what I spent a lot of time doing yesterday...

And yes, I am getting lights. I get the red light when I start to test and the green light when the crank goes past the sensor, but no speed sensing. I'll try battery before I call Garmin.

After I sweat on the trainer we go into high-brow PNW mode and are off to see the Nutcracker in Seattle. Haven't been for a few years and it's one of my fave holiday activities. My kids are celebrating Christmas Eve Eve today. Sillies. I remember being like that. So much fun!
2010-12-23 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I hope all of you will be able to join us for "next season" of swbkrun mg.... It's already up and running.  I know I have seen most of you over there, but would love ALL OF YOU!!!
2010-12-23 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I am not leaving this thread
2010-12-24 1:48 AM
in reply to: #3259340

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
TrevorC - 2010-12-23 10:09 AM I am not leaving this thread

Just like you to beat a dead horse!
2011-02-04 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Where have you gone Fattyfatfat,
Our MG turns its lonely eyes to you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81