General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peoria, Arizona
United States
4 Peaks Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 42s
Overall Rank = 18/63
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, get race packet, get transition area ready. Drink diet Red Bull. Shortly before race begins, eat gel, drink some of my sports drink from bike.
Event warmup:

Ran around for about 10 minutes to get HR up.
Swim
  • 13m 7s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course was shorter than it was supposed to be, possibly because of the winds blowing the buoy's. My 310XT gave a course distance of around 650 meters, which is probably about right.
Transition times aren't posted, so this time is from my 310XT. The swim exit was almost 1/3 of a mile from T1, uphill. There were lots of rocks the whole way, although they put carpet remnants down a lot of the way to help. I brought a second pair of running shoes to help get from the swim exit to T1 and this helped a lot. It was still several minutes to get to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

I noticed my swim is less streamlined in open water because I look too far forward (much different than in the pool). This slows me down a lot and requires more energy. More practice on open water would help a lot, along with more confidence in my open water skills.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

The run from water exit to transition took up the majority of my T1 time. Many people brought sandals or flip-flops and had a really hard time running up the hill.

I forgot to un-velcro my bike shoes. A real PITA! Probably lost 10-15 seconds because of this.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my strongest leg. I felt pretty good after the swim, and was able to push hard on the bike. The hills really took their toll on a lot of the competitors.

I could have pushed a little harder on the uphills. It was a two-circuit course and I didn't have the chance to ride it beforehand. While I drove it the night before, it didn't give a really good feel of how and where to attack on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

It was a good transition.
Run
  • 28m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

It was definitely more hill than I was expecting! I was only passed by a few people, and actually passed one or two. The run is traditionally my weakest sport but I've been working on it quite a bit. I'm pleased with my split but think I can do better with more training.
The course description and the actual course were very different. The description included another steep hill before the run-in at the end but it was left out of the actual run. I conserved a little extra energy for this hill but ended up not needing to. I don't think it affected may overall standings.

I'm starting to work in additional speed work for training. If I had paid a little more attention during the pre-race talk I might have found out about the missing final hill.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, chatted with a few people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning. I felt like my body had more to give but at the same time my HR was way up and I couldn't push myself any harder on the run. I could also use more OWS practice to gain more confidence in open water.

Event comments:

The race was well-run. There are no finishers medals that I'm aware of. I'm OK with that, but some people might like to have them.

I was little disappointed that the preliminary results had me 15th overall and 3rd in my AG, only to check later and see that a few more people were squeezed in leaving me 18th overall and 4th in my AG. I don't know how they cold miss a few people at the beginning like that, but I guess these things happen. I was pretty excited to get my first AG medal. I just need to train harder, the medals will come. It was nice to be near the FOP though.

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:07 | 820 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 36/63
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Triangular course - straight out to first buoy, 135 deg left turn to second buoy, 45 deg left turn to finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:00 | 12.4 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 11/63
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was fairly hilly. I expected this based on previous race reports but it had it's effects on many of the riders.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:09 | 03.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 32/63
Course: Out-and-back, starting up a short hill, then downhill to the turnaround. Climb the hill on the way back, down the short hill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-10 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Prospector Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed