N/A
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 02m 2s
Overall Rank = 75/97
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race nutrition is working great: 1 banana, 1/2 luna bar, water.
Taped, remembered knee brace, FORGOT to take anti-inflammatory...d'oh!
Event warmup:

Didn't do a warm-up since I've been injured all week.
Run
  • 02m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first trail run. I went into it wide-eyed and didn't know what to expect. What I found was a peaceful, lovely, challenging and fun course filled with helpful volunteers and cool people running. A total 180 from the big, crowded road races I usually run in Chicago. It's like the best of hiking and running combined. I most definitely will seek out more trail races - this was a great experience and I can't wait for the next one.

That said, I was injured for this race and it was very, very painful for me. I went into it knowing I'd have to walk-run; after mile 5 I almost pulled myself out (but didn't). I stopped a few times along the way to adjust my knee brace and deal with the pain, and it's worth noting that every single person who passed me asked if I was OK, if I needed help, and how I was doing. One person even promised to look for me at the aid station and then end to make sure I made it through.

At the mile 5 aid station, the volunteers asked if I needed a ride back. When I declined, and at my request, they gave me some biofreeze and athletic tape to fix me up for the rest of the run. They let me stay and rest for 10 minutes or so until I was ready to go again. It wasn't a medical tent, but I appreciated the attention.

What would you do differently?:

I would actually consider camping out. The race site was so pretty, and the tents and fires looked so welcoming, if I could get a group together I would totally consider camping out.

Also, I would not be injured. That sucked.
Post race
Warm down:

ICE! PAINKILLERS! BEER!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee issues. Possibly runners' knee. Finding a sports doc next week... hello Northwestern!

Event comments:

Fun, scenic and well-marked course. Friendly organizers and volunteers. Totally different experience than you'll find in the big Chicago road races. Great for trail running beginners! I would do this again in a heartbeat. Can't wait for 2011!

Last updated: 2010-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:02:02 | 10 miles | 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/97
Performance:
Course: This was a 10-mile trail run. The course was AWESOME! Not crowded at all, well-marked and just fun! Relatively flat, some big hills most people walked up and one creek crossing that got us wet, but generally very run-able. Mostly in the woods and shaded from the sun. Mostly single-track trail. One aid station at mile 5 with very helpful and friendly attendants. Beautiful fall colors and really nice people along the way. I loved this race!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-10 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: Farmdale Trail Run

2010-10-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3144227

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Farmdale Trail Run

I like your version of a cool-down.  

Great race!  Way to stick it out!

2010-10-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3144511

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: Farmdale Trail Run
LOL, yes, the cool-down was quite nice. Rhodell Brewery in Peoria is a great place to "recover"Cool...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Farmdale Trail Run Rss Feed