Hope for Marrow
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 29 & U Women
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a banana and 1/2 pb sandwich. Went to the bathroom (yes!) Very important since this has caused serious issues for me in previous marathons.
Got to the track, the race started on a track, went to the bathroom again (What?! Yes, I'll be feeling great during the race)
Event warmup:

Took a picture with a guy wearing a kilt in honor of the race finishing at the Highland Games at the top of the mountain. Neat!
Run
  • 5h 14m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

Felt horrible until mile 13. Went to the bathroom on the side of the road at mile 4. I thought my race was about to be done. No way I'm feeling this bad at mile 4 and 6! I was also running on a severely bruised hip and kidney. My insides were hurting.
Turns out the hills were rolling until mile 13. The downhills were killing me and I didnt realize it until mile 22. 13 onwards was uphill and I felt great, 10min miles until I hit 22. Miles 23-26 felt great!
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to use my friends as crutches to get to the car where my beers were. I was cramping and in a lot of pain.
Had 2 beers, went back to the cabin and took an ice bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The downhills, my hip injury.

Event comments:

The race was very organized and put together for being so small. I don't want to say there were lots of volunteers and stations, because they're weren't. They made sure to warn all runners to carry things they need because the stations were 2-3 miles apart and they all didn't have gatorade. This was fine because it was very well known this is a low maintenance race. I loved it! Just me and the road. Thats what running is about.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-28 12:00 AM
Running
05:14:25 | 26.2 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Uphill. Some downhills that killed my IT bands. Walked downhill backwards at mile 22.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes