EndorFun
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 57m 49s
Overall Rank = 2135/2141
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 284/284
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4, at race site at 430 to park. got everything set up. Pumped up tires, helped rach set up and then chilled out for 2 hours
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam for quite a while
Swim
  • 1h 02m 50s
  • 1931 meters
  • 03m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out with a far outside line, being really worried about being swam over. Kept swimming to my left for some reason all race. counteracted that by switching to breast stroke for good stretches of race.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on sighting, breathing, and long outdoor swims, I was pretty happy overall to have made it out of the water inside my cutoff time. Was only 2 minutes off goal time.
Transition 1
  • 08m 46s
Comments:

I really took my time in T1, mostly because I was afraid of what happened at MA State Triathlon with bonking and such.

Wouldnt worry as much. No need to rush, but I could have done this at least 3 minutes faster.
Bike
  • 4h 16m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the hardest bike ride I've ever done. I mean it took everything I had and then some to finish. I walked more than I wanted to, but only up hills, and I rode more hills than I thought I might be able to. I actually had both of my thighs seize up completely at one point and I thought I might be done, but somehow I got through it. Literally the proudest accomplishment of my athletic life next to actually finishing.

I need to find hills to train on in mostly flat boston and train for them A LOT.
Transition 2
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

I have no idea how I got through this transition in under 5 minutes. I'm guessing it was sheer fear at this point because I knew i had gone about 7 minutes over what I had expected on my bike ride.

Need to use better shoe laces and a race belt. would have saved me at least 2 minutes.
Run
  • 3h 24m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I was sooooo slow. I need to work on my running more than anything else. i actually put in a 12:00 final mile running as best I could in order to make sure I could finish. I gave everything I had on both the bike and the run, and there wasnt much left in the tank. The humidity was brutal and the light rain just made things worse.

Train for running like 100 times more often.
Post race
Warm down:

sit down and cried out of pure joy in having accomplished this goal I'd been working on for almost a year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training, being significantly overweight, lack of experience, not enough hill climbing, needing to work on technique and stamina in all 3 disciplines.

Event comments:

They did an overall excellent job and the race directors really look out for their last runners. The fact that they had basically torn down the post race events other than awards for 70.3 qualifiers sucked. they also had run out of medals before i finished which also sucked, and about 100 of us still havent gotten them as of 7 weeks post race. It was a humbling gratifying and wonderful experience and am so proud to have completed and finished. This wont be my last 70.3 to be sure.

Last updated: 2009-12-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:50 | 1931 meters | 03m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 285/284
Overall: 2154/2141
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:16:50 | 56 miles | 13.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 282/284
Overall: 2153/2141
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Super hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:24:05 | 13.1 miles | 15m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 282/284
Overall: 2139/2141
Performance: Average
Course: lots of rolling hills, one right after the other, as soon as youre at the bottom of one youre headed to the top of another
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes