General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri and lost my gears 2/3s of the way on the bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-12 10:09 AM

Regular
Subject: First Tri and lost my gears 2/3s of the way on the bike!
so I did my first ever tri this past Sunday and the day before the race I put my wife's Zipp 404s on my bike to give me that little edge in the bike leg.

Saturday I took them out for a short spin to get used to them and didn't have any problems. It was a ten mile bike leg in the race and I was busting having a great ride averaging about 21-22mph and just feeling strong. about 2/3's of the way in I turned a corner and down shifted and heard an awful "clunk a clunk a clunka " sound.

I looked down and the chain was still in the big ring and it was fully attached to the back cassette, but it wasn't catching the gears. I shitfted again a couple of more times and got the same "clunk a clunka".

Holy Crap! this can't be happening. I was having such a great ride. so up shifted again and the chain slid all the way to the heaviest gear and caught it. That was the only gear it would catch and hold. So instead of spinning the last mile to get my legs ready for the run, I had to grind up a couple of rollers into the wind in the heaviest gear on the bike. I was still holding a decent speed (about 20mph) but I was suffering to do it.

I just thanked the Lord at least I still had one gear--better than none at all. so I cruised into the T2 area and had a quick transition and then the first mile slow and then picked up the second mile and pain trained the final mile and actually PR'd the 5k.

so my question is what could be the problem with the chain and gears not catching? I never had that problem before I changed wheel sets. Was it a fluke? I looked at the deraulier and can't seem to see anything glaring but its just not catching the gears. It is shifting properly but not catching and holding the gears.

2010-10-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3147096

Regular
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: First Tri and lost my gears 2/3s of the way on the bike!
Maybe you screwed up your derailleur cables? I recently had to get the housing switched on my front derailleur after suffering a similar issue (in a race too, going up a hill...)
2010-10-12 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3147405

Regular
hmmm. so you don't think it has anything to do with switching the wheelset out?
2010-10-12 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Did you put your cassette on her wheel? Or did you use the cassette she had on there? If they were different cassettes with different gear ratios, a derailleur adjustment might be needed. I had a similar issue when I first set up a separate rear wheel for my trainer - I ended up just buying an identical cassette so I wouldn't have to make any other changes. I'm far from an expert on bike wrenching though.
2010-10-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3147830

Regular
No, I just left the cassette that was already on the Zipps on there. Perhaps that is what the issue is.

I'm not really sure how to adjust the deraileur, but perhaps if I use them again for another race I need to take the bike in to my LBs and have them adjust it and test it.

2010-10-12 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID

Sorry for your gear problem during the race...just a side note though---I think most would agree that switching those gears out the day before a race, or anything else drastic like that the day before a race, is not a good idea--even though you tooka ride and checked them out. But I'm sure you already figured out that one!!!

2010-10-12 2:40 PM

Since you used the cassette on the ZIPP, but used the chain on your bike, it could be the difference in wear on the chain and the cassette. An old worn chain on a relative new cassette will result in shifting issues like chain ghost shifting and not staying in the gear selected. I would check the wear on the chain.

Just getting the wheel mounted incorrectly can cause shifting issues as well.
2010-10-12 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Were the cassettes the same # of gears?  If yours was set up for a 10 speed and hers was a 9, the derailur was potentially not linigning up with the gears. 

I knocked my mtn bike derailur out of wack this weekend and the same thing happened.
2010-10-12 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3147848

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
You'd need to adjust it every time you switch wheels, if that is what's causing the issue.
2010-10-12 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Do you have a bar-end shifter that will flip from indexed to friction mode? I'm guessing that the new wheel has its cassette spaced slightly different laterally, and the deraileur wants to place the chain between the teeth. Switching to friction mode would allow you to fine tune the deraileur position and keep the chain on the teeth.
2010-10-13 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3147848

User image

Expert
Savannah
Ryno74 - 2010-10-12 3:21 PM No, I just left the cassette that was already on the Zipps on there. Perhaps that is what the issue is. I'm not really sure how to adjust the deraileur, but perhaps if I use them again for another race I need to take the bike in to my LBs and have them adjust it and test it.

It's fairly simple to do.  I don't think adjusting the RD warrants a trip to the LBS.  Hell, just watch a video on youtube or bicycletutor.com to learn how.  We all invest tons of cash and hours upon hours of training for this sport...invest 30 minutes to learn how to adjust your RD.  It amazes me that someone can spend thousands of dollars on bikes and not know a thing about them.

Edited by mktoson 2010-10-13 12:36 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri and lost my gears 2/3s of the way on the bike! Rss Feed