United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 43m 26s
Overall Rank = 4872/36088
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 721/3336
Pre-race routine:

If I really think about it, the journey to get to this race really started almost two years ago at the 2008 Kansas City Marathon. Here I was set to race in the 5k portion of the event and it was to be my first "endurance" event ever. I hadn't done anything significant in the cardio realm since I stopped swimming years ago and resorted to just coaching the sport. After finishing that race I was on such a running high that I went on a spree of signing up for more 5k races. I was hooked. After that 5k my wife asked me 'Would you ever do a marathon?' and I specifically remember saying that I could never see myself running a race of that distance and that I had no desire whatsoever to run a marathon.

Well, two years later (which includes my discovery of triathlon) I found myself at the starting line of the Chicago Marathon eating my words. I had such a great time watching and cheering at the race in 2009 that I felt that I had to just experience this for myself and do one of these suckers.

Which brings me to race day. I woke myself up around 4:15am ish and cracked myself open a can of Red Bull for my morning caffeine substitute injection. I then hopped in the shower - which I've never done on the morning of a race before because it just seemed stupid. Why would you need to shower when you're going to end up all stinkified and sweaty in the near future? However, today it just seemed right. I then choked down half a bagel with peanut butter which I toasted on the in room coffee maker (I stole that idea from someone else in their race report, not sure who) as well as a Cliff bar and a Nutrigrain bar. And when I say choked down I mean it. I have the most difficult time convincing my body to eat solid food this early in the morning. It's quite the chore.

Anyway, I made my way over to Grant Park from my hotel and checked my gear in. The temperature was already 65 degrees at 6:30am and was expected to climb. Super. I was also pretty nervous all morning but it calmed me down once I was mingling amongst the other runners. I had some time to kill and I had no one to chat with since I was alone on this endeavor so I moseyed on into my seeded corral C and sat down on the pavement and tried to mentally prepare myself. Also, an important thing was happening - or not happening I should say. I didn't have to pee at all, and that was concerning to me as I had a fair amount of fluid in me. No. Wait. There it is. The gun is about to go off, I'm standing in the middle of the race pack, and now I have to use the bathroom. Perfect.
Event warmup:

Nope. Nothing new on race day, right?
Run
  • 3h 43m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

And we're off. Well sort of; these big races always take some time to cross the actual start line. As mentioned above, I have to use the bathroom, but I'm not in such a dire situation that I must use one of the concrete walls of the Columbus Dr underpass to relieve myself like many of the dozen or so guys that actually did. Around me were the 3:20 and the 3:30 pace group and my goal for the race was to stay somewhere between them, and I did this pretty successfully for about 2/3rds of the race. The first few miles I was only concerned about keeping things calm, relaxed and to not let the moment get me too carried away. For the most part this was a success. As I figured, my pace was a little wacky from trying to keep from being lost in the shuffle of the start as things got sorted out for the first few miles. But really, all I'm really paying attention to at this point is the masses amount of people out there cheering; it was quite awesome.

Then it was time to get down to business. The first point of order: be on the lookout for the port-a-johns on the course - my bladder be full. At mile 5 I come across the toilets and I scamper over to the first empty one and quickly take care of business. I'm so speedy that I only lost 30 seconds or less on this endeavor. I get back out on the road and I'm focused.

Now, I would love to give a mile by mile analysis on how I was feeling, what I was seeing on the course, and how I adjusted strategy along the way, but I can't. I only have highlights. For a 3.75 hour race, time really flew by! Even in the agonizing final miles. Sooo the opposite in a long training run. In fact, I'm almost lead to believe that the heat may have gotten to me and I may have been operating on autopilot for a portion of the race. Here is what I can tell you:

*Miles 3-17, evenly paced in the 7:30-7:40 min/mi pace. At no point did I feel like I was pushing the boundaries of what I could do. Comfortable. Rock-n-Roll. Happy.

*At no point do I ever remember looking up at the buildings or taking in the scenery, that's how focused/in the zone I was. The thing is, Chicago is a beautiful city and I didn't take the chance to admire it. The much entertaining Boys Town was a blur, I don't think I saw one funny fan sign, and if there were tall buildings around me I sure as heck didn't notice.

*If I do remember anything it was the pace booty pulling me along for miles 6-12. Alas, I lost her when I felt my body get "fuzzy" and I had to slow down at aid stations to make sure I was actually drinking in the Gatorade and water and not simply putting 5% in my mouth and the other 95% on my face and shirt. At this point they were announcing that the course alert system was being raised to yellow due to rising temperatures.

*Mile 13: I give a fist pump to the mass amounts of people in the stands. I then spot my mom and dad in the crowd and give them two thumbs up. They were awesome enough to come support me and make me feel like I wasn't out doing this race alone.

*Mile 15: Felt first muscle twinge in my left hamstring.

*Mile 19-Finish: I'm not sure where miles 16-18 went but I can summarize these last miles because they were all the same story. I am now frequently pulling up in pain from hamstring and calf cramps. I have moved from 7:30min/mi to 10min/mi. I try to convince my body that I can run through this pain and that its just mind over matter, that I will force my legs to keep moving despite the sharp, stand you up straight, agonizing pain cramps. But my muscles had other ideas. I don't know if I have the adjective or metaphor to describe what it felt like. Perhaps like marbles rolling up and down the backside of your legs. I did all I could to ward off the cramps. I took in gels, salt tablets, Gatorade, water, and bananas and accepted the free sprays of water from the neighborhood hoses. In all I consumed 6 gels, 5 salt tablets, Gatorade and/or water at every station, and a banana. And I was still dehydrated when I was finished. It wasn't until 8:00 later that night when I finally peed.

The hardest part of this race was in those last two miles. When the crowd is so encouraging and they're telling you that you're almost there and to fight through the pain. They're telling you to keep going and to be strong. However, I had no choice but to take yet another walk break to calm fire in my muscles. Everytime I did that I felt like I was disappointing myself and my onlookers. As I neared the finish I made sure that I would not be seen walking down that final chute, but instead of an arms raised celebration as I crossed the finish line I wore an grimacing expression of pain and exhaustion.

5k - 7:54/mile
10 - 7:46
15 - 7:35
20 - 7:42
13.1 - 7:43
25 - 7:47
30 - 8:14
35 - 9:49
40 - 10:39
1.4 - 9:55
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I left it all out on the course. I wouldn't change my approach again - well maybe, but it was my first marathon so what do I know.
Post race
Warm down:

Slow, plodding walk to pick up my medal and gear check bag. This walk was loooong. I tried to sit down on the curb to rest but a lady whose face I never saw said I had to keep moving or else she would have to have medical come check me out. I was bad but not that bad.

I passed by the free 312 beer. I passed on the free solid food. I passed on the finishers photo. I just grabbed my water, Gatorade, banana, and medal and continued my zombie walk to the gear tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things. First, my lack of long distance training. Sure I did the scheduled training plan and did the long distance runs, but I think if I had a longer resume in doing long training runs I might have been better off. Plus we had our first baby born right at the beginning of this training program. I traded many weekday maintenance runs for sleep which often translated to my long weekend run being over 50% of my weekly mileage.

Second, the heat. I don't know if I could've hydrated more than I did. Sponges and water hoses at aid stations helped a bunch.

Event comments:

For an event designed to host and process 45,000 runners plus all of the needs that can come along with that - this was a pretty well oiled machine. The volunteers, as always, were awesome. They are everywhere. Probably the best thing is that before the race they are scattered throughout Grant Park and on the streets. Their sole existence is to be there just in case you have a question and/or get lost and might be a mile away from where you need to be.

Last updated: 2010-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:43:26 | 26.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 721/3336
Overall: 4872/36088
Performance: Average
Course: Flat with a small but very inconvenient hill at the end. Through 29 Chicago area neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-12 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2010-10-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3148138

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
good job, I can't imagine that type of heat.
2010-10-14 2:12 PM

User image

Bronze member

Good race report, thanks for sharing your experience.
Every report I read about this race sounds the same as yours. The heat got to everyone. I have a friend who is an experienced long distance runner - all the way back to high school cross country. She runs multiple marathons a year, trains hard, never misses a workout. She struggled in this race too. Said she felt like she wanted to quit and she didn't hit her time goal that she trained so hard for. So don't feel bad about your training or missing runs. It sounds like it was just a tough day!

Congratulations on finishing your first marathon!!!

2010-10-14 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Your right, our experiences did mirror each other.  Way to tough it out and live to run another day!

Found and article on runnersworld today about the Chicago heat and the average runner:

http://chicagomarathon.runnersworld.com/2010/10/for-average-marathoners-above-average-temps-mean-slower-times.html

2010-10-27 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed