Kona, Hawaii
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 10h 58m 57s
Overall Rank = 977/1850
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 110/198
Pre-race routine:

I've been sitting staring at my computer for a couple hours wondering how I can possibly write a race report about one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had. I will NEVER forget what it was like running down Alii Drive towards the finish and I'll NEVER forget watching a triple amputee or stage 4 cancer survivor cross the finish line to greet their families as they (and the spectators) broke into tears.

This race had a very different feeling for me and I wasn't sure what that would mean on race day. IronMan St George training and the race were all about qualifying and there was definitely more pressure to perform. I wanted to really enjoy this experience but still be able to perform to my standards. While the day wasn't my greatest performance, I'm happy with the result. So I write this report hoping I'll capture some of the emotions and events that took place before and during the race.

I got to Kona Saturday by myself to get everything set up so that when my wife and kids arrived Monday we could have time to enjoy Kona before the race. I was so happy that my wife and sons were with me to experience this. I've always taught my boys that if you want something bad enough, work hard for it and you can get it. Well, they were about to see where hard work and determination can get you.

The buzz around town all week was incredible. Just swimming in Kailua Bay was an experience. The pros would come out and people would just watch them. We saw Chrissie Wellington a couple times and couldn't believe how ripped she looked. Too bad she couldn't race.

It was so much fun to go for a swim at Dig Me Beach, run down Alii, or ride up the Queen K prior to the race. I was just trying to soak it all in and enjoy it as much as I can. I have to admit there were a couple times during my short runs I got emotional as I just couldn't believe I was here. I never did do the Parade of Nations but swam out for Kona coffee and ran in the Underpants Run.

Friday Kim took the boys to the beach while I got everthing packed and turned in and then relaxed as best I could. It's so cool walking in with your bike and transition bags. There are people lined up with clipboards keeping track of everything. Looking to see what type of bike, wheels, saddles, etc were on each bike as we walked into transition.

With everything turned in and ready to go it was time to race.
Event warmup:

We stayed about 1.6 miles from the pier and there were supposed to be shuttles but we just started walking. After 1/2 mile a convertible Mustang asked us if we wanted to hop in so we did.

I got body marked, pumped my tires, put nutrition on bike and added my LidquidShots into my transition bags. I had some time so just sit in transition for a bit and just watched people as they prepared.

My only warmup is my usual warmup of a quick 200M swim and then back to shore. Take a short break and go out again. I stood in the shallow water for a while before I swam out to the swim start where I treaded water for a while. While out there I looked around the entire bay and it just really hit me what I was about to do. There were people packed all the way along Alii Drive and around the pier. It was an amazing site.

I was looking at my watch figuring I had a couple minutes when all of the sudden the cannon went off. I wasn't able to start my watch but figured it would be easy to calculate as I went along since we started at 7:00.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I picked up my Xterra Velocity M Monday morning from the Xterra folks and it was great to wear overtop of my kit. I started the swim to the left figuring I'd try to stay out of the craziness. It wasn't too bad and I was able to get some clear water after about 500M. When I found good feet I hung on until I lost them in a crowd. This is an amazing swim looking down at the coral and fish. Before I knew it we were at the turnaround and because I started wide I didn't get caught in a lot of traffic.

On the way back in I was able to get some really good feet for more than half the return. I just kept a nice long stroke and enjoyed the swim as much as I could. As far as IM swims go, this was really an uneventful swim and I really don't think it was as rough as St George.

I guess my swim really isn't as bad as I always think it is. This is clearly middle of the pack and I'll take it in Kona.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

My helmet, sunglasses, and shoes were all on my bike so it was just a matter of putting on socks and race number and grabbing another bottle of LiquidShots and my salt tablets and I was off. I tried training rides without socks but I just prefer to wear them during IM so it took me a little longer to put them on.

Got out of transition and then stayed on top of my shoes until we got onto Kuakini. I had more room there and slipped into my shoes without a problem and I was off.
Bike
  • 5h 47m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is the portion of the race I'm least happiest with. For some reason I just couldn't get my legs going. I'm usually able to push the pace a little more but I found myself holding back after about mile 80 because I just felt like I needed to conserve something for the run.

The first section of the ride along Kuakini is pretty flat, fast, and full of riders. I started easy and just stayed with everyone else. There's really nowhere to go anyhow because there are just so many bikes bunched together early in the bike. Once again there were people lined up on both sides of the road for the early section and it was an awesome site. After about 8 miles you climb Palani and then turn left onto the Queen K. I took the Palani hill pretty easy but did stand a little just to stretch my back.

As we turned onto the Queen K there were still a lot of bikes bunched together. It was at this point at about mile 9 of the bike a referree pulled up and gave me a red card for drafting. I couldn't believe it! I was stuck in a group of 20 bikes with 3 bikes side-by-side and 6 or 7 rows of bikes just trying to get going on the bike. I was actually the only one trying to slow down to get out of the pack and let them go ahead. I have NO idea how she picked me out as the only person supposedly drafting. As hard as I tried to get out of the pack, there was just no way to do it because someone behind me would have run into me. I couldn't pull ahead because there was someone beside me. And I couldn't pull to the side because there were more people on my right side. Out of all this, I was the only one they picked out for drafting. C'mon, do they really think I qualified and came here to draft at mile 9 of the bike! I was pissed but knew I had to control my emotions. The LAST thing I could do was try to hammer it to make up the 4 minutes I would lose at the next penalty tent.

As I came to the aid stations I looked for the penalty tent and finally got to one at about mile 30 of the bike. When I pulled in I started complaining to the officials. After about 30 seconds of complaining I stopped and asked them, "You guys have never heard this argument before have you?" They all kind of laughed and said no I was the first one to complain. I felt bad for them and told them they had a tough job. I realized there was nothing I could do but accept the penalty so I started talking and joking with the officials. One of them joked and said they were serving cheese at the next aid station to which I replied, "ya it would go well with my wine wouldn't it?" After 4 minutes I was off. Still pissed off but still staying within myself.

I was still feeling good at this point and did so until mile 50 just after the start of the climb to Hawi. It was here where the wind started to kick in big time. All of the sudden there was a huge headwind and major cross winds. My pace slowed from 20mph to 10mph as we climbed to Hawi. You couldn't stay in aero position because you had to be prepared for the crosswinds that would blow you across the road. I saw a couple downed riders that were obviously blown across and off the road.

When I got to the turnaround in Hawi I knew I'd have some tailwind, but, now I would be going 30-40mph downhill, downwind with major crosswinds to contend with. I just hung on for dear life hoping I wouldn't get blown off the road. This is where the bike can become extremely demoralizing. You hope to have a tailwind back into town but because of the time of day, and as you make the turn on the island the tailwind becomes a headwind. This just sucks the life out of you as you try to get through the headwinds for the last 30-40 miles back into town. It was here I decided to back off because I had cramp issues on the run at IMSG so I decided I wanted to run strong. Well, even backing off I could start to feel twinges in my hamstring and at this point I thought this could be an incredibly long race if I have to fight cramps again.

Riding back on the Queen K I just tried to keep telling myself to enjoy the moment. I'd constantly look to the right and enjoy the view as I looked out to the Pacific Ocean. Looking at my watch as I made the turn back into Kona I knew I was nowhere near where I wanted to be for my bike pace. Madam Pele and the wind just wouldn't permit it for me on this day and I just had to bow to the conditons of Kona and accept them for what they were.

As I made the final turn into transition I once again just tried to enjoy the moment as I looked at the HUGE crowd.
What would you do differently?:

I guess this ride just wasn't meant to be. I learned a lot about the conditions and will no what to expect next time I race here.
Transition 2
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Got off the bike, handed it off, and ran around transition to the bags and the tent. I pulled on my calf sleeves, put on my shoes, put on my hat, grabbed nutrition, went for a quick bio break and I was off.

Only in IronMan can you have someone put sunscreen on your arms as your going pee. :)
Run
  • 3h 51m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

As I got out of transition and onto Palani I wasn't feeling great but was able to keep a decent pace. As I turned onto Alii my wife, kids, and coach were there to greet me at about 2.5 miles in. I told them this would probably be a long run as I just didn't feel like I had it today. Then, all of the sudden at about mile 3.5, something started to kick in. My legs came to me and I started to feel really strong. I picked up the pace and started clipping along at a 7:50/mile pace with really little effort. I ended up finishing the first 5 miles with a 7:59 pace and I was running by people like crazy. When I came around the other way to see my family again I told them my legs had FINALLY come to me and that I'd be hauling ass the rest of the way.

I was feeling great running sub-8 miles until I got onto Kuakini at about mile 9 when all of the sudden a cramp in my left hamstring stopped me in my tracks. I stopped and worked it out and my right quad started cramping. This is the 2nd race in a row I've had cramping issues on the run and most would say it's becaue I went to hard on the bike but believe me I dialed it way down on the bike. I took in lots of salt and drank plenty so something just isn't ride with my electrolyte balance.

After working out the cramps for a couple minutes I was able to walk and then run slowly and with short strides. I took in more salt, fluids, and banana at the next aid station and was able to start running better again. Miles 5-10 were at 8:17 pace but if you take the couple minutes out where I had to stop to work out cramps my pace was still strong. I kept the slower pace for a few miles until I felt like I could pick up the pace again without cramping. I was actually feeling better and stronger the run went on.

I was taking in water, Perform, and coke at every aid station and took in nutrition when I felt I needed it. As I got to the Energy Lab I was feeling really good and as I looked at my pace I was once again running at a 7:55 pace and feeling incredibly good. I made the turn around in the Energy Lab and started the slight climb back to the Queen K feeling great and passing a lot of people. Just before the Queen K, out of nowhere, my left hamstring completely cramped up on me again. Same routine, stop, work it out and right quad cramps up. At this point I started doing a lot math in my head. I had about 7 miles to finish and there is no way in hell I'm coming in over 11 hours. It took me longer to work out these cramps than the first set of cramps so I knew I was losing time.

Once I started running again I knew that if I could just run 9 minute miles I'd cut it close but would come in under 11 hours. Oh, how that 4 minute BS penalty could possibly come into play now. I WOULD NOT allow them to take sub-11 from me. I knew that if I came in over 11 hours I would be miserable and all I could think of was I didn't want to do that to my wife because I knew I would be tough to live with if I didn't come in under 11 hours.

I was running 8:30 - 8:45 pace with very little effort but felt that little twinge every now and again in my left hamstring so I knew cramps were always near by. I walked the aid stations to take in sodium and hydration to keep the cramps away as best I could. I knew as long as I stayed away from another cramp I'd have no problem making it. Everything was great until the very end of the Queen K at mile 24 when my left leg completely cramped again. I had to stop and work it out and now the math was realling working in my head. It was going to be real close. I had to work it out and get running or I wouldn't make it. I started running and as I got to Palani I knew I had to be careful on the downhill because that's were another cramp could come. One more cramp issue and sub-11 was gone.

I got down the hill slowly but with no cramping problem and now new I had about 1.25 miles to go. As I turned onto Kuakini the sh-- literally started to fly. A young women in front of me was literally crapping her pants as she ran. It was absolutely disgusting as you watched it run down her legs. I'm sorry, but sub-11 would not be worth crapping in my pants for.

I never really knew exactly how much time I had left because I didn't start my watch when the cannon went off for the swim because my watch was slow so it hit me at this point that I may actually have 1 minute less than I thought to go sub-11. As I made the last turn on Palani my coach was there and told me I had 3 minutes to go and that I had time to enjoy it. And enjoy it I did. There is NOTHING like running down Alii Drive to the home stretch. It simply magical! The streets are packed and everyone is yelling out your name as you go by. The final stretch and I walked across the finish line and the sense of accomplishment really hit me. Literally 2 years preparation for this day, for this moment, and it's one I'll never forget as long as I live.
What would you do differently?:

I have to figure out why I'm cramping on the run. I did not push hard on the bike. The heat was a non-issue. Maybe I'm lucky training all summer in Austin but for me, it is not here at all. I had a lot more in me and really believe I can run a 3:30 without the cramping issues.
Post race
Event comments:

Well, this wasn't my greatest performance but it wasn't my worst performance either. This is, after all, Kona, and I'm racing with the best in the world in some unbelievable conditions. I kept hearing about the heat and wind and how tough they are. Let's just say the wind didn't disappoint. It was downright scary and I was just happy to stay on my bike.

I've already been asked by a few people what's next? The next couple years will be focused on my family as I stick to sprints, Olys, and HIM. My oldest son is a Junior and he'll be off to college in a couple years. I plan on enjoying EVERY football and baseball game. My younger son is in 8th grade and I plan on doing the same with him. And, my wife and I will be enjoying Friday nights and some easy rides together on Saturday mornings.

Oh, I'll be racing again in Kona in a few years and when I do my goals will be VERY high. I learned a lot about how to race this course and while the results weren't exactly what I expected I know now what it takes to reach my next goal. My first goal after 5 years of triathlons was simply to qualify and get here. In a few years time when I come back, I'm going to work my butt off to be on the podium.

Last updated: 2010-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 85/198
Overall: 961/1850
Performance:
Suit: Xterra Velocity M
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:47:09 | 112 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/198
Overall: 0/1850
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:51:39 | 26.2 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/198
Overall: 0/1850
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-10-13 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Ford Ironman World Championship

2010-10-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3149756

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman World Championship
Awesome job, my man. Sorry we never got a chance to meet, but I'm so happy you had the experience I was hoping for you. See you back there!
2010-10-13 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
That's a great race!!!  It might not have been the "perfect" race but like you said---it's KONA---and you're first time there...you learned and will be back!!!  It's great to see your focus for after this race---it's something I've been dealing with at the end of this season (even though I'm not near KQ)---next season it's about family and shorter racing! 

And honestly short of winning your AG I don't think sub anything is worth crapping your pants..........
2010-10-13 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Regarding your question about the wind, it was much worse this year than in 2007, IMO. I can recall only a few moments when I got hit by gusts which shook me. This year it was the majority of the decsent was that way!
2010-10-13 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Great race....what an accomplishment!
2010-10-13 3:57 PM

User image

NH
Great race.  Even with your cramping issues, that's a smoking marathon pace.  And after the harrowing winds of the bike, amazing run.  We'll give you those 4 minutes back!

2010-10-13 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Congrats on a great race!
2010-10-13 10:03 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Congrats on racing Kona and ENJOYING Kona! Some of your comments gave me shivers and definitely capture the amazement that Kona must be! Very inspiring. It's also great that you have aspirations to get back, but have the family priorities in there too. Thankfully, you have LOTS of local races right around you to facilitate that!!

Well done, congrats, and happy recovery!
2010-10-14 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Great RR man.  " Only in IronMan can you have someone put sunscreen on your arms as your going pee." Love it!
2010-10-14 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Great job dude!  And great RR.
Nigel
2010-10-14 11:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Again, SUPER CONGRATULATIONS and especially on the SUB-11:00 no matter what. Way to go to "beat" the B.S. penalty.

Awesome job with the Hawi killer winds and powering through the run.

It was a pleasure and great inspiration to follow you!

2010-10-15 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

AWESOME!  Congrats!  Great RR.

2010-10-15 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Great job, and inspiring!
2010-10-15 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Great job man! I'm working my butt off to get there one day
2010-10-15 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job and congrats on a great race
2010-10-15 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats!

You enjoyed your time there and soaked up the whole race experience.

Hope you can figure out why for the cramping on the run for the future.

2010-10-15 9:47 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Anybody that does Kona needs to get an AWESOME JOB!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman World Championship Rss Feed