General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training mixed with tri maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-13 8:23 PM

Subject: marathon training mixed with tri maintenance
I've started training for the houston marathon at the end of January. While I'm looking to improve my marathon time from my previous and only other marathon time (4:30), I don't want to lose everything I've gained over the summer training for triathlons. I'm doing a modified version of the Run Less, Run Faster marathon program, in which you do 3 main runs a week, and work in two days of XT. My current plan is to do my runs MWF. I would like to swim(my weakest discipline) and bike during my nonrunning days and also work in some strength training. Just wondering what other people do and how they plan their workouts to best suit them and yet not overtrain and risk injury. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 

Jamie 

2010-10-13 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3150953

Master
, California
Subject: RE: marathon training mixed with tri maintenance
I'm also doing a marathon soon - end of November.  In my case, running is my weak area on triathlons, so I'm following a Hal Higdon marathon plan.  I have Friday as a rest day and then I'm doing Jorge's cycling plan (3x / week) on my light running days.  Running mornings, cycling evenings.
2010-10-13 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I would suggest that maybe fitting in 2 bikes during the week would provide a lot of benefit over just 1 bike.  Even if they're short bikes, making them fairly intense and focused sessions will really help you going into next season. 

Personally, I would drop the swimming and the potential for gains/losses are less there, but if you don't mind swimming, then 1x per week in the pool will help keep things up. 

At the end of the day, fit in what you can while still focusing on the marathon and still giving your mind a rest!
2010-10-13 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3150991

User image

AndrewMT - 2010-10-13 4:49 PM I would suggest that maybe fitting in 2 bikes during the week would provide a lot of benefit over just 1 bike.  Even if they're short bikes, making them fairly intense and focused sessions will really help you going into next season. 

Personally, I would drop the swimming and the potential for gains/losses are less there, but if you don't mind swimming, then 1x per week in the pool will help keep things up. 

At the end of the day, fit in what you can while still focusing on the marathon and still giving your mind a rest!

This is exactly what I'm doing.  My normal tri training would be about 20 mpw running (3-4x per week), 8k swimming (3x per week), and 100 mpw biking (3x per week).

For marathon training, I'm now doing 40+ mpw running (5x per week), 2k swimming (1x per week), and 45 mpw biking (2x per week).

My swimming is just to keep form.  But when I'm on the bike...I'm going fairly hard.
2010-10-14 1:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Winter for me is going to be mostly spent running too (training for a May marathon).
Swimming is my strong suit & the aspect of training I look forward to the most.
But it really does make sense to bike twice a week (especially since I REALLY need to improve there!).
I remember hearing Lisa Bentley talk about how she used to focus on training her "weak" area (as far as she can have a weakness!) and use her favorite training as a reward for getting through the tough stuff..
Makes sense to me!
I'll be generally keeping to:
running X 3 (Tues, Wed, Sun)
biking/spinning X 2 (Mon + Fri)
&
swimming X 1 or 2 (Mon or Sun + Thurs)

Hopefully balance will work!
2010-10-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3152574

User image

Expert
Alabama
I've been focusing on my running over the last month, and took a break from swim and biking.  I'm already concerned that I've lost some swim and bike fitness.  I have probably taken off too much time.

I'm going to start Jorges plan in a couple of weeks for bike training, and plan on picking up the swimming 1 or 2x a week.  I may do a stroke clinic to help improve my swim stroke, as this will probably benefit me more than loggging laps.  The stroke clinic last for a month or two.

2010-10-14 3:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am with Tri808, run 5x, bike2x swim 1-2x per week.  I couldn't immagine doing a marathon on only 3 runs a week, I would probably kill myself on the long run and not have enough base to work on speed.  That said my choice is easy in that I am still not medically cleared for bike or swim so I get to be lazy and just run 6x per week and base build atm.
2010-10-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3151025

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
tri808 - 2010-10-13 9:20 PM
AndrewMT - 2010-10-13 4:49 PM I would suggest that maybe fitting in 2 bikes during the week would provide a lot of benefit over just 1 bike.  Even if they're short bikes, making them fairly intense and focused sessions will really help you going into next season. 

This is exactly what I'm doing.  My normal tri training would be about 20 mpw running (3-4x per week), 8k swimming (3x per week), and 100 mpw biking (3x per week).

For marathon training, I'm now doing 40+ mpw running (5x per week), 2k swimming (1x per week), and 45 mpw biking (2x per week).

My swimming is just to keep form.  But when I'm on the bike...I'm going fairly hard.

^^^Agree!  If you've been doing long course triathlon this season you can probably get by with 3-4x/week, but if it's your weakness you need to run more frequently, not necessary a lot more volume.  Take the 3:2:1 approach, so if you're running 30mi/week divide that by 10 and do 3 easy runs per week of 3 miles; 2 moderate runs of 6mi; 1 long run of 12mi.  Add 10% a week and you should be in good shape for Houston.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training mixed with tri maintenance Rss Feed