General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Halloween 5k Presented by Michigan Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-15 6:13 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
Subject: Halloween 5k Presented by Michigan Triathlon
For all of you athletes that live in Ann Arbor or close to it, you might be interested in a Halloween 5k that will take place on October 31st on the University of Michigan campus.  The race is being put on by the University of Michigan Triathlon Team in order to help raise funds that allow us to race year round.  Michigan Triathlon is a nationally recognized club team that competes in numerous local and collegiate races as well as the USAT Collegiate National Championship each year.

This is our first time hosting an event of any sort, but we hope to make it the first of many.  I'm one of the race directors as well as the Vice President of the team.  If anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions please email me at [email protected].

Race day logistics can be found on on our race website here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cjelgin/halloween5k/

This is going to be a small race capped at 50 participants, but a great opportunity to spend a fall afternoon living a healthy and fun lifestyle at the University of Michigan.
Registration is done online and costs $17 which includes a race t-shirt.

Wear a costume!  If all goes well, I'll be the one dressed as Antoine Dodson!

2010-10-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3155172

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Halloween 5k Presented by Michigan Triathlon
I'm glad to see you guys are doing this!  After seeing that the MSU tri club puts on a race to raise funds for the team I was thinking it would be great if Michigan had something too.  You know, Kenny from 3D is a Michigan fan... I wonder if you could approach him to have 3D help out in organizing a U-M sprint tri like there is an MSU sprint tri?  I would hope that he would support the U-M tri team if he's supporting the MSU tri team.  Maybe a mid-September race that runs through campus or something?  Not sure how the swim would work out though.  Could always make it a duathlon. Anyway just a thought.

You mention that this will hopefully be the first of many events you'll host... just out of curiosity what other events are you guys thinking about hosting, if you don't mind me asking?
2010-10-15 9:23 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
We want to host a sprint race, hopefully this spring.  We've been throwing around the idea of seeing what we can work out with 3D, but their race schedule is booked for every weekend during the spring.  We originally thought about doing one locally in Ann Arbor, but we found out that it costs several $,$$$ to close roads.  That's the reason why the MSU bike course is so many loops; the university owns the roads one campus so it costs much less.

We are also thinking about a possible location at Pinckney State Park.  Even though that's where the AA tri is, there are many races that happen at Kensington and ILRA that aren't run by the same organizations.

Our perfect scenario involves a relatively inexpensive location that we could use for both a spring and fall race, transition racks and such that we could rent out to other races, and some sort of timing company that won't leave us with only a small fraction of the profits.

Our team is growing bigger and we have a lot of people who really want to help get more involved in the local tri scene.
2010-10-15 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3155354

User image

Expert
MI
Oh, interesting! I think it'd be pretty cool to do a sprint hosted by you guys.  Have you tried contacting Running Fit?  I wonder if they would be willing to team up with you or help you out. After all, their "world headquarters" is in Ann Arbor! And they seem very community oriented.  Plus I think they have their own timing system (?), although I have no clue about any sort of costs.

Good luck and I hope something works out for the spring!
2010-10-15 10:00 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
We have definitely been thinking about them.  A lot of us on the team absolutely love their T-rex tris as well as the other awesome races they put on.  Thanks.  I'll definitely keep the BT people posted for any new local events.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Halloween 5k Presented by Michigan Triathlon Rss Feed