General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Marathon and Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Kansas
United States
Kansas City Sports Commission
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 24s
Overall Rank = 140/5207
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/387
Pre-race routine:

I was using this race to get a good starting corral for the Disney Marathon in January. My goal there is to qualify for Boston, so I needed to run a solid time to avoid having to run through the masses come January.
Event warmup:

I woke up at 5am and had a bagel with peanut butter and some water. I made myself a bottle of GuBrew to sip on before the race. I got to the race at 6am with my mom and wife. My wife was volunteering at an aid station and needed to be there early. My mom, who was running as well, and I headed over to Panera by the start line where I got a cup of coffee. I met a friend of mine, Josh who is a great training partner and 3:20 marathoner. He was using this race and a training run for the Marine Corp Marathon in two weeks.
Run
  • 1h 35m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun sounded and it took 30 seconds or so for me go cross the starting mats. The first mile is pretty much all uphill, so I took it easy working my way into the run. I felt good and pushed it in the second mile to make up time for what I lost on the first mile. The 2 major hills on this course are between 2.5 and 3.5 miles and I really tried to make sure I didn't push too hard going up those hills. The next few miles were very solid as I really started to push the pace a bit.

I dealt with minor side stitches throughout the run, but it never kept me from running to my potential. I was ahead of the 1:35 pace group until around 6.5 miles when they finally caught me. I latched on to them and let the pacers lead me from there on. The last major obstacle was from miles 8-10 which was basically a gradual climb with a few steepish parts. I spent a pretty good amount of energy during those 2 miles and really start to feel fatigued at mile 10. The rest of the race was pretty much all downhill. I started to struggle around 11.5 but didn't let myself lower my effort. My last mile was too slow and kept me from getting under 1:35.

Overall, I was quite happy with the run. It was a fairly hilly course, I have been dealing with minor shin splints, and I still was pretty much spot on my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Train run specific more. I was in complete triathlon training mode all year until after Branson 70.3. I basically had 3 weeks to train for this after taking a week of rest.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few bottles of water, a banana, and 2 yogurts. I stretched a little bit and waited for my mom to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having enough time to train specifically on running.

Last updated: 2010-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:24 | 13.1 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/387
Overall: 140/5207
Performance: Good
7:53, 7:09, 7:37, 7:17, 7:01, 7:03, 6:48, 6:54, 7:04, 7:28, 6:58, 7:04, 7:25, 6:35
Course: A fairly hilly course that runs through many of the popular parts of Kansas City.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-16 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS
Subject: Kansas City Marathon and Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed