Sorrento to Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Bicycle Victoria
Total Time = 3h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Registered for the 100k ride rather than the 210 or 250 as we've only been in Melbourne 2 months and the longer rides had sold out. Was probably a good job as I'd been concentrating on the half marathon the week before and had only been on a couple of 60k rides prior! And given the weather, glad I only did the 100k. We'd had storms Friday and Saturday, but luckily the rain held off most of the day, but the wind remained!

We drove down Saturday and spent a lovely day / evening in Sorrento exploring the area. Had a great meal at a local Italian restaurant (got to get the carbs in!) before an early night.
Up at 7am, brekkie of cereal and a banana, before heading off to the start. My wife would then drive back to Melbourne later in the day.
Event warmup:

Was meeting a friend from work and his family & friends rather than ride on my own. Unfortunatley they were running late so my warmup was watching everybody leave and get a bit cold, but at least the start wasn't as busy when we set off!
Bike
  • 3h 45m
  • 100 kms
  • 26.67 km/hr
Comments:

Was a great event, and with starting late, we passed hundreds of people all the way up to Melbourne. If you've read my previous reports, you'll know I'm not the best cyclist but today I felt good!
Had a tailwind for the first part which was good, but we knew it wouldn't last, as we turned north it became strong cross/headwinds!
Enjoyed riding with new people, no pace pushing at all as my workmate's wife was doing 100k for the first time, so we went at her pace for most of the way.
Halfway up the first hill, I got a flat! Changed that, and was reminded to check the tyre - good job as the glass was still in there! Bit of luck for me there.
So me and my friend then decided on a time trial to catch the others up - which we did by the next stop. Then it was just the matter of getting into Melbourne without getting too wet. The wind got even stronger but in some ways this made it more fun, as I felt really strong, so all the running I've been doing rather than cycling must have been doing some good. At one point, one of the girls got through some lights ahead of us, so I pushed to catch her - I was pushing hard putting some serious effort in, and was doing all of 25 km/h! The wind was strong!
We all rolled in together at 1:10ish after about 4:30 all in time and 3:45 ride time for me.

Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and the funny thing then was the announcer picked on me and Mark to interview! He asked if either of us did anytihng other than cycling, so I replied I'd done Busso half ironman in 6 hours, and he was like "6 hours, that's amazing, well done". Too funny! If only he knew!
Got lunch, sat down, chatted away for a while then rode the 10k home.

Event comments:

Had a great day, rode with new people, enjoyed the trip down with my wife and would defintely think about doing the 210 or 250 next year. Might need to prioritise between it and the Melbourne Marathon festival though if it's the week before again.

Last updated: 2010-09-19 12:00 AM
Biking
03:45:00 | 100 kms | 26.67 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 100km from Sorrento to Melbourne
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-10-17 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Round The Bay In a Day (100km)

2010-10-18 3:46 AM
in reply to: #3156921

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Round The Bay In a Day (100km)
What a fantastic ride Nigel!  Sounds like a great event and to do it the week after the half marathon was really awesome.  I think doing Busso in 6 hours is pretty amazing too!!
2010-10-18 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3157233

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Thanks Daisy - if the weather was Perth-like it would have been perfect!
I think for the likes of me, 6 hours for Busso was amazing, but what I meant by that comment, was the way he said, 'wow that's amazing' was like I'd done a 4:45 or something!

2010-10-18 5:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Kudos to you running last week and punching out 100km this week! In a decent time too considering the weather and wind. How epic was the wind along the beach from St Kilda to Port Melbourne? Ugh. No fun at all.

Good luck for the upcoming season. I look forward to reading some more reports.

2010-10-18 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
Brilliant Nigel, well done mate. Would have been tough with the weather. I think you'll have a great tri season the way your going.... watch out Busso Half!!
2010-10-21 2:21 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Great ride! Shame about the awful weather!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Round The Bay In a Day (100km) Rss Feed