United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 27m 34s
Overall Rank = 54/394
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/43
Pre-race routine:

This one was an early start even for us. Set the alarm for 2:25 AM to take the shuttle from our hotel to the drop point and take a bus to the race start. Kim had to take a different shuttle since the half started obviously half way up the mountain. Once I got to the race start we hung out for 1.5 hours chatting and relaxing. No point in getting too worked up yet.
Event warmup:

Walking a quarter mile to the race start which was about a mile from Mile 0 on the Mt. Lemmon road.
Run
  • 4h 27m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My goals for this race was to complete it in 5:00 hours, not walk, and pace well. I had no idea what to expect never running something like this before. I really wanted 4:30 finish time as a goal but needed to be realistic. I didn't have a lot of long runs under my belt but have been doing hill work which paid off. Honestly, I don't know what part of my brain keeps wanting to do climbing races either on the bike or run. The fact that I'm weighing in at 197 lbs and I keep trying to defy gravity. I just don't understand. Anyway, to be on the safe side I would stay in zone 2 HR, which for me is 150-160. The start of the race was smooth; with only 400 runners the road cleared in a half mile. I knew early on that I should keep a low zone 2 HR and was good about that. My first self doubt kicked in at mile 6 wondering if I could keep this up for another 20 miles. Not much I could do about it so I started my nutrition which consisted of a pack of Shot Blocks. I ate one cube every couple of miles and didn't seem to need anything else. I've come to like them but on one of the higher grade climbs I took a block but also desperately needed air which caused the block go down unchewed. Strange sensation but oh well. The early part of the race I was heating up so I kept splashing water on myself until we got higher and the temperature started to drop. By mile 10 the road cleared to the point of a runner every 100 yards or so. There was some passing both forward and backward but I kept focus on my HR monitor. After the half way point my HR jumped up to zone three and there was nothing I could do except walk and that wasn't an option. I figured I could recover at mile 20 where the road finally goes downhill for a few miles. So my goal at this time wasn't the finish line but mile 20. Sure enough the downhill helped a lot. I could have gone faster at this point but my knees recommended against it. At mile 22 the road goes back up and I thought that since my HR recovered there shouldn't be a problem but my legs went a bit wobbly. I think a lot of people had the same feeling with a lot of people walking that hill. It was only another mile climb and knew the finish wasn't too far away. Almost to Summerhaven I see Kim which made me smile but that quickly turned into a frown when a volunteer was pointing right up Ski Run Rd. You've got to be kidding me. After all this I wasn't yearning for another mile at at 8% grade. At this point I said to hell with HR and went for it. That was a very ugly mile and the trip back downhill was painful. The nice part was the finish line was at the end of the road. Yippie!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing significant. It turned out like I thought it may.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to get a massage but my calf and quads started cramping so bad that I needed to just wonder around a bit until taking the bus back down. Rick and Shelly also ran the half and it was good to see them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight

Event comments:

For an inaugural race I think it was very well done and I would highly recommend it, if you like this sort of thing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
04:27:34 | 26.2 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/43
Overall: 54/394
Performance: Good
Average HR 155 Max HR 170
Course: Up the Catalina Highway to Summerhaven. One lane closed to traffic with traffic down the hill open. 6,000 ft of climbing
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-10-18 6:34 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Subject: Mount Lemmon Marathon

2010-10-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3157327

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Mount Lemmon Marathon

Congratulations on a super race, Dean, and for hitting all of your goals.  I empathize with you in that it is especially difficult to carry around 200 pounds up and down hills.  I find myself choosing hilly courses as well and don't quite understand why.  Not only do I stand in awe of you taking on the challenge (that mountain is tough enough with the assistace of a bike ) , but in the exceptional performance that you put together.  AWESOME race!!!

2010-10-18 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats!! Everything about that race sounded like pure torture.  Nice job
2010-10-18 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

You're awesome Dean, great job!

2010-10-18 11:26 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job on the race.  I did it as well but you had way better results.    That last hill really was a mean thing to do wasn't it? 
2010-10-18 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Damn- you made that sound easy.

It's not a marathon... it's an ultra!

2010-10-19 12:15 AM

User image

Regular
2010-10-19 7:12 PM

User image

Dude, that is awsome.  That is a very awsome break down.  Man, you tore that thing up.  I weigh about 195 my self and like you, I love the hill work.  I am still beating myself up for walking man, so that is good you hung in there ran through that pain.  After windy point, doubt just filled the ol knoggin. (After 20, I recovered pretty well on the downhill and pushed through to the finish)  Man, 8% on that last hill?  That is mean, haha.  Man congrats on this one.

This was my 1st mary (5:20) and I am glad I chose this one.  Now, I can jump into other races without hesitation and go in very well prepared mentally.. I hope, hahaha. Anyhow, good job dude!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mount Lemmon Marathon Rss Feed