DRC Sports
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 50s
Overall Rank = 128/195
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00. Had a banana and two ham/egg/cheese breakfast hot pockets. Packed nutrition and Gatorade into the tri bag and waited for Cville, Steph and Tammy to be ready.
Event warmup:

Swam about 200 yards 10 minutes before the first wave start.
Swim
  • 37m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the best swim I've ever had. There were only about 30 people in the Clyde/Athena/Relays wave, so there was no trouble with crowds at all until I started passing earlier waves. Even then, I never bumped into anyone. I drafted Steph for the first couple of buoys, then broke off when she started heading closer to the buoy line. Kept my line about 10 yards outside of the buoys and had clear water the entire way. Maintained a cruising pace the entire way, kept my heart rate low, and finished more than 2 minutes faster than my goal of 40:00.
What would you do differently?:

Outside of just becoming a faster swimmer, I wouldn't change a thing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Overall 56/195
AG 3/13
Took my time and went deliberately about my business. Wetsuit came off great. I even took some time to dry off a little bit since I was worried about being cold during the beginning of the bike.

When I threw my wetsuit under the bike, one of the legs was draped across my running shoes. They were quite wet by the time I got back from the bike.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Most of the roads were smooth. There were a couple of rough sections, and then about 10 miles of construction zone which were pretty mentally taxing. It should be great once they're finished.

I'm very happy with how well the bike went. It was a full 11 minutes faster than my goal, and it includes a bathroom stop (approx. 1:30) at the mile 40 aid station. I may have pushed the pace a little bit too hard, but I never felt like I was really getting on it. Lost a good amount of momentum by slowing way down for the much exaggerated bump at the bottom of the bridge (a mistake I did not repeat on the return). The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, aside from going by TriRSquared unconscious after his crash into a truck (didn't know it was him at the time).

Better nutrition while riding. I'm going to experiment with putting gel/maltodextrin into my Gatorade.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Overall 39/195
AG 1/13

Woot! Fastest total transitions in my age group - at least I won something! My legs felt great coming off the bike, and I flew by 2 wobbly-legged people coming into the racks. Bike and shoe switch went fast (even with regular laces) despite my discovery that my shoes were all wet from my wetsuit. I was about to put on my race belt right at the beginning, but tossed it aside thinking 'I'll just put it on while I'm running out.' That would have been fine, if I had remembered to pick it up before leaving.

Remember to grab race belt when leaving.
Run
  • 2h 35m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This run started great. The first 4 miles are in the sun, but there was a nice breeze coming off the water and my legs felt good. Tired, but not muscle fatigued. Around mile 5 I started to realize that I was running out of energy. I took Gatorade and water at every aid station (each mile), and gel or half of a banana at every other aid station. Unfortunately, it was too late to replace the calorie deficit. I walked about 200 yards after each aid station to drink and eat without spilling all over myself, as well as to get a little rest. I also walked from the 12-mile marker to the 1 mile to go marker in order to be sure I could keep my pace for that final mile. My realistic goal time for the run was 2:30, so I was only behind that by 5 minutes and only 10 minutes off my open PR for a half marathon.

Run more. My average weekly mileage for the 12 weeks preceding the race was 10.98 (15.45 for the 24 weeks period). If I can push that up to 25 or 30 mpw, I'm suspect I could drop as much as 20 minutes from my run time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, had some sandwiches and pizza from the food tent and checked in at the results board.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training. Taking two weeks off for hiking in Colorado at the peak of my training, while lots of fun, it not so beneficial to fast racing.

Event comments:

This was a great race. The volunteers at the aid stations were the best I've ever encountered. Particularly the boy scouts at mile 6-7 of the run. I'll be back next year for sure. I've got a date with 6:00:00.

Last updated: 2010-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 103/195
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Equilateral triangle. Northeast from the beach, due south parallel to the beach (and with the current), northwest back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:48:57 | 56 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 89/195
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1. Begin at the Main Beach transition area and proceed South on Fletcher Ave. 2. Use Caution as you pass through a Rotary intersection at Sadler Rd. and continue south. 3. Turn Right on Amelia Island Parkway and proceed past the Airport until you reach A1A 4. Turn Left onto the eastbound lanes of the divided highway. Be sure to stay right as returning bicycles will be in the other lane. Car traffic will be in the westbound lanes to your right. 5. Proceed over the Thomas Shave Bridge. Use caution as you enter / exit the bridge due to uneven pavement and a significant bump. 6. Turn Left on Old Nassauville Rd. and continue south. Stay Right at all times 7. Turn Right on Amelia Concourse and proceed until you almost reach A1A again. Make a ā€œUā€ turn approx. 200 feet before A1A. Return Southeast on Amelia Concourse. 8. Turn Left on Old Nassauville Rd. until you reach A1A again. 9. Turn Right onto the eastbound lanes of the divided highway. Be sure to stay right as bicycles will be oncoming in the other lane. Car traffic will be in the westbound lanes to your left. 10. Use Caution as you go over the bridge and maintain a safe speed at all times. 11. Turn Right on Amelia Island Parkway past the Airport and bear Right onto Buccaneer trail. 12. Follow Buccaneer Trail until it becomes First Coast Hwy at the new Rotary intersection and continues south. 13. Use Caution as you pass through 2 Rotary intersections at the entrance to the Plantation resort. 14. Continue South over the Nassau Sound Bridge into Duval County and make a ā€œUā€ turn at the entrance of Kayak Amelia. 15. After the U-turn, go north and return over the bridge into Nassau County and continue on First Coast Hwy. 16. Turn Right onto Fletcher Ave, continue north and Finish at the Main Beach Transition Area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:35:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 170/195
Performance: Below average
Course: 1. Exit the transition area and proceed North on Tarpon Ave, Turn Right on Dolphin, Turn Left on Fletcher and proceed to the end. 2. Turn Left on Kimberly, then Left on Lisa until you return to Fletcher Ave. 3. Turn Right and continue South on Fletcher, Turn Right onto 5th St, then Left on Tarpon Ave. 4. Continue South on Tarpon past the Transition Area and Turn right onto the sidewalk that leads to Fort Clinch. Turn Right into Ft. Clinch and follow the road past the Ranger Station. 5. Turn Right at the 1st 3-way intersection, then Right at the next 3 way intersection, and continue toward the pier. 6. Go to the end and make a loop around the parking area and exit back out. 7. Continue to follow the way you came in until you reach the original 3-way intersection and Turn Right. Continue through the park and bear Left at the entrance to the Fort. 8. Go to the next intersection and Turn Left onto N 14th St. 9. Exit the park through the back gate and continue onto 14th Street. 10. Go over a small bridge to the turnaround at Towngate & White Street. 11. Return over the bridge and through the park in a straight line back to the entrance. 12. Exit the park and Turn Left onto the sidewalk, then Left on Tarpon Ave. 13. Turn Right on Trout and proceed to the Finish Line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-18 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Atlantic Coast Triathlon

2010-10-19 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3159013

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Atlantic Coast Triathlon
Looks like you did great!  Congrats!
2010-10-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3159013

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Atlantic Coast Triathlon
Congratulations on your race, Chris! I enjoyed hearing about your race. Sounds like you had a really good HIM experience.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic Coast Triathlon Rss Feed