General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 08m 27s
Overall Rank = 297/2071
Age Group = M 18-24
Age Group Rank = 22/77
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before my alarm at 415, I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. I jogged ~1 mile over to a nearby Walgreen's to pick up some things that I couldn't bring due to the flight. Called yellow cab to have a pickup time of 6am. Got back to the hotel and shaved my legs and got my bags all together.

Around 5:55 yellow cab called and said the cab was there... nowhere to be found... 15 min later I called and they said they were at a different one... waited about 5 min and one finally showed up. We got about 2 miles away from the expo center and traffic was horrible. I got out of the cab and walked over to the transition area

Set my bag up and went to the restroom at the Expo center. Took one of the last few busses down to the park and when we got there it was kind of nuts. They were announcing that the transition was closing, people were running from the busses and they made us walk all the way around... kind of dumb. Got set up, ate 3 shot blocks and drank half a bottle of water.

Nutrition prior to race. 1 NutriGran Bar, 32oz of Gatorade, 3 shot blocks
Event warmup:

~1.5 mi Jog
Swim
  • 39m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The shot blocks didn't have me burping during run, however, I did "puke" a little bit about 200 into the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water the last month, I've only swam about 1500 yards since Rev 3, and it was 1000 Monday, and 500 Wednesday.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

I couldn't get my wetsuit unzipped, then it wouldn't come over my watch. Although, the wetsuit stripper made it a lot easier to get the bottom half off. Then my chin straps on my helmet got all messed up, had to take it back off and mess with it.

Not enough time in my wetsuit or my aero helmet still. It'll get better. "A" Goal of Sub 40. Hit.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.45 mile/hr
Comments:

The chip-n-seal was ROUGH... hit one spot where it broke my torpedo mounts zip ties. My quads were hurting pretty bad climbing the hills and I couldn't get out of my saddle to get up to speed faster. I went 1:16, 1:20 for my half way splits.

More time on TT bike, get fit dialed in, felt like my elbows were too far in (behind my shoulders). "A" Goal of 2:30 - Missed, "B" Goal of sub 2:40 - Hit. Train better so that I get off the bike feeling more fresh. Both HIM's I've done have left my legs trashed after the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Only got one shoe off coming into T2, so I had to un-clip and step off, take off the shoe and run with it in my hand. Put socks and shoes on. Everything into bags, took a drink and off I went.

Tri-shoes are one of the purchases on top of my list for next year, the ratchet buckles make it impossible to get shoes off while moving.
Run
  • 1h 45m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was in for a long run, but for as bad as I felt coming off the bike, the beginning part of the run went real well (I stopped and peed right out of T1).

Other than walking the times I did, My run was kind of disappointing. It was hot and the grass made it slower. I felt good on the road's, bad on the grass and hills.

Run more. I just don't have the miles in for my expectations at this distance. I WANT 1:30. I just gotta get miles in. Also, Unlike in Tri-Indy when I was running, I was WANTING to pass people and not anyone pass me, Comparatively, In my 2 HIM's I've done, by the time I got to mile 3 or 4 of the run, I couldn't give 2 ****'s less who passed me. That will be a focus for next year. Metal focus and preparation.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Smooth roads might have helped a bit on the bike.

Event comments:

I loved the inside finish. The post race food was good and I enjoyed just sitting around and watching. The people in Austin definitely put on an excellent race.

I would love to come back, however, with Muncie becoming a 70.3 and the temperature differences between Indy and Austin this time of year, I was not prepared for this heat. It was a great time and an great first time 70.3 branded race.

For my first season, and the let down's I've had in not being consistent in training and my nutrition and a whole bunch of other reasons, I am sooo happy with my performance of 5:08 (which was 3 min off my "B" goal of 5:05)

I've only been running (after a 3 year break) and swimming since July. With those factors, I've done 5 tri's in my first season 2 sprints, 1 oly, and 2 HIM's. I feel that I COULD finish a full Ironman next year, and had thought about signing up for Louisville, however, looking at myself and my mental state during the race, for the time being, I'm going to stay at the "shorter" stuff. Oly's and HIM's.

That's a wrap on 2010 for me (except for a turkey trot, or another 5k).
2011 will include: Muncie 70.3 and Tri-Indy Oly, oh, And I'll be racing Collegiate road season in the spring, which (hopefully) will improve my cycling HUGE amounts.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:21 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/77
Overall: 965/2071
Performance: Average
Avg HR of 180.
Suit: Orca Apex
Course: Triangle, Left turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:36:40 | 56 miles | 21.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/77
Overall: 391/2071
Avg HR - 163
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:43 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/77
Overall: 239/2071
Avg HR - 158 1st 3 Miles - 7:20, 7:18, 7:27. I was feeling great and just moving along. 2nd 3 Miles - 8:36, 9:24, 8:09. My quads started to cramp on the downhill in mile 4 and by the time I was going uphill, full fledged cramping. Had to walk for a bit. Got back to it in mile 6 and started to feel a little better 3rd 3 Miles - 8:09, 7:57, 7:45. Was feeling pretty good in these miles, Not as fast as I wanted, but still moving. Leg's were on the verge of cramping pretty bad the entire 3 miles 4th 3 miles - 8:01, 9:30, 8:02. 10 was good, 11 cramped bad so I walked 2 aid stations, 12 got back onto the road and got back after it. 5th 1.1 Miles - 8:09, 17.62. Ran it in.
Course: 2 Loop with mix of roads, grass, trail, dirt. Some hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-18 5:45 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Subject: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival

2010-10-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3159042

User image

Regular
Yukon
Subject: RE: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival
Not a bad run on that coarse.    Good luck next year.  I agree on the road. It was rough rough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed