General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury advice/Prevent me from killing people Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-20 5:06 PM

Veteran
Subject: Injury advice/Prevent me from killing people
Hi, so I blew out my knee a month ago (same week I bought my new Felt! Damn) and haven't been able to train much, with the exception of a few painful half hour rides. I have a reconstruction scheduled for Dec. 17. I've been flat out mean (woops) since I've been inactive. I can't run or bike and I can't afford a pool membership (hopefully by mid November) as I'm a poor college student. No pool at my school, local high schools don't allow public swim, and the other school (Brown) that is free for us only has lap time during class. 

I'm in need of any and all ideas until I can get into a pool. Thanks!

p.s. Sorry I'm grumpy. 

Edited by SammyKarch 2010-10-20 5:23 PM

2010-10-20 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3163586

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Injury advice/Prevent me from killing people
Sorry to hear about your knee!  Hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly.

In the meantime, this is what I'm doing while my foot fracture heals:

-Core and upper body workouts (I don't know what will strain your knee, you have to be creative): sit on the floor with a resistance band (seated rows) for shoulders/back; stand on your good foot with the band under for biceps; plus you can do a lot of core work sitting on a Bosu, even if you need to keep your leg straight (I do mine with my air cast on); floor work - supermans/swimmers (again, watch the knee).  Outside of the bosu, the bands are inexpensive.  Toss a 6-8lb medicine ball with a friend.

-Read:  I'm reading up on nutrition, devouring triathlete magazine, plus a few trashy beach reads.  When I'm training I do not have very much free time in my schedule and I'm too tired at night.

-Surf BT: And realize that there are lots of other triathletes out there who are in the same boat, so you are in good company.  Encourage someone new to the sport.  Celebrate with our friends who are still racing.

-Eat Clean: Watch out for those pity-parties that have you running for the ice cream or Halloween candy.  Don't bring it home.  And since I can't get around really easy, I cut my grocery store trips WAY DOWN.

-REST.  With a good diet and plenty of sleep, you will be ready to recover quickly from your upcoming surgery.

Hope this helps!! 

P.S.  We're grumpy from lack of endorphins! Yell
2010-10-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3163648

Master
, California
Depending on exactly what you did (ACL?) you should be able to resume activity once the initial swelling settles down.  Just make sure it's not side to side   With my knee injuries, I was always advised to keep active as much as possible up until the surgery date.  You will definitely lose muscle mass post-op, so it's good to preserve as much as you can.

Obviously consult with your doctor first - he/she may also have some specific ideas on what exercises you should do.
2010-10-20 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Well, it IS RIOW...
2010-10-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3163675

Veteran
spudone - 2010-10-20 7:00 PM Depending on exactly what you did (ACL?) you should be able to resume activity once the initial swelling settles down.  Just make sure it's not side to side   With my knee injuries, I was always advised to keep active as much as possible up until the surgery date.  You will definitely lose muscle mass post-op, so it's good to preserve as much as you can.

Obviously consult with your doctor first - he/she may also have some specific ideas on what exercises you should do.

I sprained it/subluxed it pretty well. I'd had ACL reconstruction before and it thinned out so that it didn't survive the awkward misstep off a curb during a run. I'm on my feet six hours a day because of culinary school so it's not healing as quickly as I'd hoped. The rest of my knee is just really loose even with PT for muscle strengthening. Getting a new brace this week so that I can start doing some stuff when the sprain heals. He said swim but no running or biking until it stops hurting, which is made difficult by the six hours of standing per day. 

Hoping to keep active somehow!

2010-10-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3163685

Veteran
briderdt - 2010-10-20 7:06 PM Well, it IS RIOW...

Having trouble finding a swimming partner! I have some leads, though!

...and I newly relocated inlander, is a wetsuit necessary

Edited by SammyKarch 2010-10-20 6:18 PM

2010-10-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3163648

Veteran
DiOnMaui - 2010-10-20 6:47 PM Sorry to hear about your knee!  Hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly.

In the meantime, this is what I'm doing while my foot fracture heals:

-Core and upper body workouts (I don't know what will strain your knee, you have to be creative): sit on the floor with a resistance band (seated rows) for shoulders/back; stand on your good foot with the band under for biceps; plus you can do a lot of core work sitting on a Bosu, even if you need to keep your leg straight (I do mine with my air cast on); floor work - supermans/swimmers (again, watch the knee).  Outside of the bosu, the bands are inexpensive.  Toss a 6-8lb medicine ball with a friend.

-Read:  I'm reading up on nutrition, devouring triathlete magazine, plus a few trashy beach reads.  When I'm training I do not have very much free time in my schedule and I'm too tired at night.

-Surf BT: And realize that there are lots of other triathletes out there who are in the same boat, so you are in good company.  Encourage someone new to the sport.  Celebrate with our friends who are still racing.

-Eat Clean: Watch out for those pity-parties that have you running for the ice cream or Halloween candy.  Don't bring it home.  And since I can't get around really easy, I cut my grocery store trips WAY DOWN.

-REST.  With a good diet and plenty of sleep, you will be ready to recover quickly from your upcoming surgery.

Hope this helps!! 

P.S.  We're grumpy from lack of endorphins! Yell

Thanks for the great ideas! You're my new best friend Laughing 
2010-10-20 6:32 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
SammyKarch - 2010-10-20 3:06 PM Hi, so I blew out my knee a month ago (same week I bought my new Felt! Damn) and haven't been able to train much, with the exception of a few painful half hour rides. I have a reconstruction scheduled for Dec. 17. I've been flat out mean (woops) since I've been inactive. I can't run or bike and I can't afford a pool membership (hopefully by mid November) as I'm a poor college student. No pool at my school, local high schools don't allow public swim, and the other school (Brown) that is free for us only has lap time during class. 

I'm in need of any and all ideas until I can get into a pool. Thanks!

p.s. Sorry I'm grumpy. 

So...you're saying you have a bike for sale?

DiOn pretty much nailed what I was going to say. good luck with the healing!

John
2010-10-21 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
I used to live in North Providence and would lift at RIC. They have a pool there, or at least they did. As I remember the membership was really cheap. You did pay per semester though, so that might not help right now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury advice/Prevent me from killing people Rss Feed