General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 -Half Marathons in one week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-21 5:43 PM

Subject: 2 -Half Marathons in one week?
I've already signed up for one Half Marathon next March.  I also kinda want to do another one which is the weekend before with my new Triathlon team...
Thoughts?  I've done one half before and have really improved my running though distance is by far my greatest challenge and I do get amped up from the energy of the event, so that really helps.  I've got a few months to train for this, and I'm committed to doing at least one.  Should I register for the other?  My first half marathon had a time of 2:15 with minimal training.  This year (training for next) is much more serious...esp with training with the team.
Thoughts appreciated. 

2010-10-21 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3165847

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: 2 -Half Marathons in one week?
I don't see any reason not to do them both if you want. Its all about having fun and enjoying the experiences. Just be careful and listen to your body. You don't want to trash the rest of your season with an overuse injury.
2010-10-21 5:54 PM

User image

Pro
Great- sounds like fun.  Obviously, one of them isn't going to be at your best 'race' pace.  So, pick one to be your 'A' race, and just go really easy on the other. 

This, of course, assumes that you have a sufficient training base to support those two runs.  My guess is that if you're doing 30+ miles/week, you should have no problem with 2 half marys.
2010-10-21 11:16 PM

User image

I've done it before while training for a marathon. The first one I ran at a decent clip (for me!) and thought the 2nd would be tough to finish, but found it relatively easy.

I'd say plan on running the first one well and have the 2nd one be a 'recovery' race...that way if you just aren't on your 'A' game for the first race, you have the 2nd one to try to run well (if you wish).

Either way, have fun!
2010-10-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3166183

User image

Champion

I agree with CTDon in that it has happened for me over the course of marathon and iron training. So, if there, why not in a formalized race setting?!

CTDon's other piece of advice is good, using the first for the best effort, and the second as recovery.......or very broadly for whatever happens. However, you could also use the first one as a true test of a few things, most notably pace and nutrition, and then be ready to rock a week later. But if they are both the same for you in terms of importance, race the first and use the second for recovery/fun -- or as a "fallback", if necessary.

I hope it goes well for you --- even to the point of maybe learning that you are a bonafide half-marathon animal!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 -Half Marathons in one week? Rss Feed