Hightstown Parks and Recreation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m
Overall Rank = 51/235
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/
Pre-race routine:

Woke around 5:15am, dressed, brushed, walked dog, ate bagel w/pb, got bikes (wife's first tri!) on car, drove to Hightstown (no coffee! strike one).
Event warmup:

Set up transition, and spoke with newbie virgin (yeea, I won't finish last) and fastguy with the shoes clipped in already which I was going to tri out for the first time today but ultimately felt not falling was better than saving 12 seconds in transition. I now have bungee pull laces on sneaks so that's good but couldn't figure out how to keep bike shoes from scraping ground when they're already clipped into bike. Fastguy had rubberbands holding the shoes parallel to ground - genius,, but I had no rubber bands (strike two). There goes my hopes of medaling in my age group,, kidding.

I did however get to swim several minutes which helps me out tremendously,, getting heart rate up and warmed up and used to the water which was beautiful. I must also say that swimming a few fridays beforehand at the lake made me feel like this was home turf which was nice.
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Usual kicking and blocking. The race is small so it's easy for leaders to just go and the rest of us to fight it out. The lake is perfect and it was set up real well. Temp was nice I was actually thinking about skipping the wetsuit but still feel comfort and speed with it as I'm still getting caught up to a constant freestyle stroke. I made it about 75% of the way in a nice rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

I would be in the first line of men and get some endurance so I can just pull away from pack and keep going. Work on technique and breathing and see ya next year.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

LIke I said, not doing the whole 'put feet in shoes whilst in motion' thing. Gotta practice more and get better shoes for that job with some velcro and room. No socks which was an improvement. Also, no subconscious (this time) telling me to look for things to keep me from leaving transition.

Have shoes clipped into bike and get going before putting feet in. I really don't know if this will save me much time and may just turn out to be more of a pain unless I get new shoes that are better for this.
Bike
  • 38m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

It's hard to bike fast for 35minutes without much practice. I passed a few people and fell in a group of 2 or 3 for the first half. Then me and another dude played leap frog which was good and helped me keep a hard pace until the last few miles when I got burned out. It's tough trying so hard and then seeing this female fly by doing about 30mph and riding that bike like it was her job. Oh well, guess I gotta practice and get a tri bike with the woosh woosh and zoom zoom.

Get a tri bike with the woosh woosh and zoom zoom. Also, one that changes gears automatically. I can't stand moving my fingers even the slightest little bit and having to think about what gear I should be using (sarcasm). Oh, and a little motor would help with those tiny hills I have a hard time getting up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Took feet out of shoes while riding which was helpful. Good transition overall.

I really stopped and dismounted real slow. I guess I could have a moving dismount with some practice.
Run
  • 25m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I should have pushed harder and ran faster. I didn't feel bad and have gotten better at running and put in many miles.

Push harder and keep a faster cadence.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 440 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 50/235
Performance: Average
The swim was ok, the testosterone was flying around with people flailing about in the beginning though. I like the water start and the lake was nice and set up perfectly,, thanks Derak - good job!
Suit: yes
Course: P shaped bouys, stay left of bouys going out, then around and back for 100m with a 40m turn to the out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:29 | 12 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Overall: 51/235
Heart rate was good, breathing was good. I can just use more practice on the bike and of course, get a better bike.
Wind: Some
Course: LIke a P shape. Good course. It helped that I tried course before and knew what I was doing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:55 | 03.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 60/235
Felt good for most of the run.
Course: Rights and lefts through town. Follow the yellow arms.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes