View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 46m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, load the car. Kids didn't come with us this time, so it was easy to get out the door. Race was only 15min from home.
Swim
  • 10m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

My best tri swim yet. My goal for today was sighting. My last two races I was just all over the place and I know I swam way more than needed. Today I wasn't going to. I think I did pretty well - I was within arms length of almost every buoy. It got tough after we turned around to head back, sun was right in my eyes. Stopped for a second to get my bearings and make sure I knew which dark shapes were the buoys! But stayed on course. Swim was very spread out, not a lot of feet and elbows flying, especially the start - it was much calmer than my last couple races.
I was really happy with 6/21 in my age group! Didn't get passed by any of the guys in the wave behind and passed a couple guys from the wave a head.
What would you do differently?:

So far every race in OW is more learning than "racing" for me. The first few I was dealing with panic attacks. Last one I had sighting issues. Now that I think I am getting over those, I can't wait to actually RACE a swim. Next season...
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Well, obviously transitions need some work! I had forgotten to undo the buckles on my bike shoes, so I had to deal with that and fumbled a lot. I also got flustered and put my helmet/sunglasses on before my shoes, then bent to do my shoes and lost my sunglasses. I know better.

Be faster!
Bike
  • 1h 03m 22s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is by far my worst event. Just totally out of line with my swim and run (6th on swim, 8th on run, 17th on bike!) I'm working on it, but its just not getting much better. My own fault but I wasn't prepared for the road on this one to be totally open. Every other race I have done has had at least one lane closed (two of them the roads were totally closed) So that was a shock and flustered me at first. The road out on Hwy 90 was also a lot rougher than I am used to. As soon as I hit it I slowed down about 1mph. Its always mentally tough to have almost EVERYONE who you out swam pass you on the bike. Lots and lots of passing. I was getting really down and thinking I was sure to be the last one into T2. Then we turn to head back and the last two miles there was a headwind. At that point I really wanted to just quit. But my goal for this race to PR the run...I've been 1/2 mary training and today was all about what I could do on the run. So I just hung in there and didn't stress about the bike. I slowed down a ton the last 2 miles, but at that point I was just in survival mode, trying to make it to the run. All in all I did okay, I was about 1mph slower than Bridgeland, but it was 2 miles shorter and better road/no wind.

Ride better?
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Not too bad, took a bit longer than usual because I decided to have a gel. I've never taken in anything but water during a race, but always feel a bit light headed by the second half of the run. So was hoping to avoid that feeling.
Run
  • 27m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

All I was thinking was PR, PR, PR this run. My stand alone 5K PR is 27:55, but the best I've done in a tri is 32:xx. I was really hoping for sub-30. There were no mile markers on the course and I don't use a Garmin, so I really had no idea if I was on track to do it or not, but I knew that I was RUNNING (well, for me!) rather than the "shuffle" I usually end up doing at a tri. My calves cramped up horribly though. Never had that happen - obviously I pushed a bit hard, but I'm glad I did. I made it: 27:28! Its always nice passing back a lot of those people who pass me on the bike! It was a little tough to know how hard and when to push though with no mile markers. The volunteers were saying things like "about a mile to go" or "400m left" but you couldn't see the finish line til the very end and I wasn't really sure.

Not much - this was a pretty good run for me, my best at a tri so far! I guess the fact that cramped meant I went too hard, but oh well - I got it done and feel fine (I feel like I "raced" it, but not like I killed myself to do it)
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal (very cool!) Cold water, found my husband. Actually ate some pizza and had a beer (never stick around to do this because we usually have the kids with us!) Watched some more finishers come in. Loved seeing the two young girls finish (they were 8 and 10 and did awesome!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have a long way to go on the bike. If I could catch that up to my swim and run - I'd actually be able to put up a pretty respectable time!

PR's for me on the swim, run and an overall PR of 5 min faster than Bridgeland despite a longer swim and bike!

Event comments:

Good event, not the best ever - but definitely exceeded my expectations. Will probably do this race again next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:33 | 500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: