General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is swimming so @*?! hard!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-01 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3171914

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: Why is swimming so @*?! hard!!!!!
Clyde Guy - 2010-10-25 11:43 PM OFM here wanting to participate in triathlons...only problem is, can't freaking swim!!  Currently taking lesson through a local tri shop (this week is number 5 of 10).  Today did 1600 yds of breathing drills with a kick board and fins, but can't swim freestyle 25 yds.  I completed a duathlon and loved it, but want to go on to triathlons.  Any suggestions?  Anyone else start out in a similar situation?

Clyde Guy

Keep swimming it will come.

I was in the same boat last summer when I started.  Now I like to swim.  I am not fast but I can knock out 1000-3000 yards without stopping.

Get a sport count to help with the laps.

It does seem odd that after five lesson you are still having troubles making more than 25 yards,

Kevin

2010-12-21 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
The latest advice from my coach --stop trying so hard.  I had such a hard time processing this thought but I'm taking it to mean relax -haha.
2010-12-21 4:56 PM

Lexington, KY
Working on the relaxing thing.  I can honestly say that I feel like I am getting there.  Today was my best day in the pool ever.  Again, to the swimmers out there this is minor but to me it is a major deal.  I got 3X50 today, could not do 1x50 last night.  Learning to relax, stretching out longer and slowing down seem to be working.  Still have lots of room for improvement, but getting there.

Clyde Guy
2010-12-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3256794

User image

Pittsburgh
Clyde Guy - 2010-12-21 4:56 PM Working on the relaxing thing.  I can honestly say that I feel like I am getting there.  Today was my best day in the pool ever.  Again, to the swimmers out there this is minor but to me it is a major deal.  I got 3X50 today, could not do 1x50 last night.  Learning to relax, stretching out longer and slowing down seem to be working.  Still have lots of room for improvement, but getting there.

Clyde Guy

It is good to know that I am not the only one struggling to swim.  I have been making some decent progress over the last two weeks and relaxing and slowing down have been the keys.  I was stuck in the 50 meter rut for a long time until two weeks ago.  Keep working and stay patient. Good luck.
2011-01-03 8:27 PM

Lexington, KY
And today:  1x50 then 18x25.  Gotta get through the mental end and work on swimming continuously. 
2011-01-03 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Sutherlin
Hey, 18x25 is great....  I too have a hard time in the pool.  Part of my problem is I can only get to an open pool once a week, so when I do get things right, it's a week to loose the feeling if you know what I mean....

2011-01-17 12:33 PM

Regular
Corona
I have never been a swimmer and when I started I had a "surfer stroke" from surfing my whole life. My wife on the other hand was an All American in College and outswims EVERYONE in the pool. So when I started swimming there were a few things I learned from her that made ALL the difference in being efficient.

1. She had me roll from side to side as my arm comes forward. Almost exaggerated. As I roll extend my arm and stretch under the water as far as I could before pulling.

2. When breathing think of your chin connected to your shoulder so instead of pulling your head out of the water pull it back like you're looking over your shoulder on that stroke.

3. Relax and enjoy it.

4. Pull buoy. Get one and hurt with this thing. If you really want to develop your stroke and your strength in the swim...this is the way to do it.

I also have the oportunity to talk to some college coaches about swimming distances and they tell me that during training they have their distance swimmer work on turn over with their arms with little or no kick at all. If you can do 1500m with your pull alone then you should be good to go if you add a little legs.

Again, I am not a swimmer but do pretty well with only 3 years of swim training under my belt.  These are the things I think about as I swim and focus on while I train. I hope this helps.
2011-01-19 12:11 PM

I am in a similar boat , I am having difficulties with breathing , I seem to be able to hold my breath and do fine but when it comes to breathing not so much , if I swim with a modified breast stroke I can do 500 yds with 15 sec breaks every 50 yd but the breathing while doing the crawl or top water stroke is difficult I have watched lots of videos and the TI vids and still cant seem to get the breathing thing down I will be starting one lesson per week in Feb hope they can steer me in a better direction
2011-01-26 7:34 PM

Lexington, KY
Another good day!!!  1x100 (a first) then 9x50.  A few months ago I could not even make it but about a third of a link!!!  Lots of room for improvement, but getting there.

Clyde Guy
2011-02-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3229634

Veteran
Indiana
Clyde Guy - 2010-11-29 9:26 PM

Small celebration here!!!!!!  I know this will seem over the top, but I actually got 2 links today without fins.  Almost got 4 total.  Relaxing in the water is still not totally there but coming.  Weird thing is, I am a right handed person, but links happened breathing to the left.  Started working on open turns also.  Only uphill from here!

Clyde Guy

Congrats and stick with it.

I was in more or less the same boat in October. Started swimming lessons, could not swim any stroke other than breast stroke, and could not complete a full lap.

The breakthroughs were slow at first - one pool length freestyle. One lap freestyle. Two laps without having to stop and catch my breath.

Then around December, things started to happen. Before I knew it, I did 1000 yards without stopping. At this point I can swim 2000 yards continuous freestyle - albeit I am still very slow, I am confident I can at least complete a sprint or oly without drowning.

Things that helped me:
1) weekly lesson
2) practice at least 2x between lessons
3) repetitive drills, even with recovery breaks, do help you build distance
4) try to have fun and get a feel for the water, instead of constantly self-critiquing (let your body tell you what's going on, instead of always listening to your brain).
2011-02-03 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Just a little encouragement on the weight end... for *most* of us clydesdale guys, we carry some extra fat in our torso... disproportionately to what we carry in our legs.  For *most* women, deposits tend to go dispropritionately below the waist.  In this case, women usually have the advantage.  Even though an average clydesdale may be more buoyant overall than a very lean swimmer (this is not to suggest you can't be both lean and a clydesdale), that does not necessarily mean he will be well balanced in the water... in fact it's likely his legs sink like bricks while his upper body floats very well... and it is VERY difficult to swim that way.

Keep plugging away on the weight loss while you work on the swimming... you'll likely find the two go hand in hand.

Good luck - you're making great progress already.

2011-02-08 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3173805

User image

Las Vegas
How your training going for 2011?  I am in Vegas too and want to know if you ever want to train together?  Just got started.

Mike
6'2" 281lbs - wanna drop before 4/16 - 1st tri for me.
2019-01-26 6:49 PM
in reply to: Clyde Guy

Listen, I've been swimming on a swim team since the age of six so pretty much my whole life. Now, im a competitive swimmer and a lot better and I STIlL think its superrr hard. Sometimes I feel really good like I just got a good workout in and other days I just want to get home and cry! It might also be the fact that I have a really tough coach. but its totally worth it! it really keeps me in shape, it uses all of my muscles so its really good to stay fit!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is swimming so @*?! hard!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 2