General Discussion Race Reports! » Keller Kids Triathlon (Monster Tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keller Kids Triathlon (Monster Tri) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 29m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45; JD's response to the early rise: "Daddy, why do my eyes hurt when I open them in the middle of the night?" JD had 2 sausage biscuits at Pampaw's house and some chocolate milk to "make his muscles strong." Got to the race site and waited in a crazy long line. Body marking then transition set-up.
Event warmup:

Warm-up included going to the bathroom and putting JD's [farily clean] underwear in my pocket (he forgot to take them off before putting on his swimsuit). Waited in line for the start.
Swim
  • 01m 30s
  • 27 yards
  • 05m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

When the kid in our lane got to the end, JD jumped into the pool and started swimming. He was doing good swimming "just like daddy does." I was told I couldn't get in the pool with him (although other parents got in with their kids) so we decided JD would wear his life jacket. He did an awesome job! Later he told me the swim was his favorite part.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

After getting out of the water, I helped JD off with his life jacket as we walked fast toward the TA. When we got outside, I wrapped him in his towel while he finished walking quickly to his transition spot. When we got there, I helped him dry off and then he got his shirt, socks and shoes on. At this point, it appeared his tire was losing some air, so I pumped it up. Later I'd learn it had a not-so-slow leak! He put on his helmet and I helped him with his back to the mount line.
What would you do differently?:

Have a spare tire!!!
Bike
  • 18m
  • 1 miles
  • 3.33 mile/hr
Comments:

When we started the bike, JD's tire started losing air. I noticed it and noticed him having some unusual troubles steering/maneuvering. About a quarter of a mile in, the tire went completely flat. Steering became considerably difficult for him and he actually lost control and fell over a couple times. A kid tried to pass him on the inside with about 2 feet of space between JD and the curb. With the steering difficulties, JD fell toward the curb and into this other kid. The other kid immediately began wailing, to which I helped both of the kids up and made sure the other kid wasn't hurt (JD was fine). The other kid kept wailing until I helped him back on his bike and on his way. Later he tried to pass again and asked us to move. I politely told him it was good to pass on the left side where there was a lane and a half of open space! I ended up having to guide JD to help him steer so he didn't fall over every few seconds. He was riding on the rim of his wheel and had NO steering ability. I asked him several times if he wanted to run during the bike as it would be easier on him. The reply from my rule-following son: "No, this is the bike. I want to ride." We finished the bike leg with an achy back on Dad and a tuckered out JD.
What would you do differently?:

Have a spare tire!!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I had JD get off the bike a little prior to the dismount line so I could stand upright and have some relief for my back. Several comments along with way into T2: "Ah, he's got a flat." "How sad!" "Poor guy." JD was tired going into TA, but I encouraged him that up next was his strong suit. He was ready to go as we dropped the bike and helmet off. We stopped for a quick inhaler puff; this was preventative for the presumed tough run ahead after a hard bike. With a quick drink we were on our way.
Run
  • 04m 30s
  • 0.33 miles
  • 13m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was really good. Started strong and JD took off. He was confident in this discipline. We stopped for a quick drink at the turn-around. Then we saw a little girl who stopped ahead of JD to taunt him. "I bet I'm faster than you!" JD had none of this. He looked at me for an approving glance to which I replied "Go for it." He took off and they raced beside each other for about 50 yards. She ended up stopping while JD continued to run. He totally took her! Guess she's not faster! ;) JD run through the finish line by himself so I could catch some photo finishes. He ran strong and got his medal after crossing the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish, we snapped some pics then had some powerade, water and Southern Maid donuts. We went to pick up his event shirt, which happened to be in the military tent. My dad snapped a pic and said I was trying to sign JD up since he did so well. After we cooled down (both of us!) we packed up our TA and headed to get clean up and post race food at IHOP. Nothing like pancakes to refuel!

Event comments:

Overall, a fabulous kids event. There were a TON of kids there (~300 I think) and it was still pretty organized. Swim started a bit late, but wasn't too big of a deal. Lots of volunteers with an easy course for the little tykes. I'd let my kids do this one again. We had a blast.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:01:30 | 27 yards | 05m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Swim suit
Course: Swim the width of the pool (25 meters), sharing a lane with another kid. After I made sure he got off to a good start, I walked [fast, if you know me] around the olympic size pool to the other side to help him out of the water.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:18:00 | 01 miles | 3.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Out of the park/parking lot and onto the closed street. Down the street then back. One loop for the youngest kids.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:04:30 | 00.33 miles | 13m 38s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Around the park, made a loop and back into the parking lot to finish beside the TA.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-26 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Keller Kids Triathlon (Monster Tri)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keller Kids Triathlon (Monster Tri) Rss Feed